Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burn marks on white seats from seat heater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same marks on my black seats. I have 16k miles and I have seat heater on one most of the time.
I don’t think those are burn marks. They are just the seat material not thick enough or seat heater elements not installed correctly.
Because you have white seats the coloration from your pants highlight the seat heater elements. Regardless it should not be happening.

Reactions: SJC3
Not trying to assign/shift blame for the seat discoloration nor assuming you have any of the following conditions, but just want to bring this to your attention out of concern:
My commute is 7 miles, 4 days a week, so they're not on for a long time. I have no health issues. I just like things warm. The owner's manual says that the seat heaters use less battery than the fan, so I rely on them to keep toasty warm.

Reactions: Runnergirl
If I had an opportunity to order all over again it probably would not be with white seats; they're gorgeous but just a bit impractical. Having to change what you wear because of the car is straight BS, and I hope Tesla figures out some magic nano-coating to solve this.
It would be hard to prevent color transfer with jeans. It’s just the nature of denim because they’re heavily dyed. Even my clear phone case is turning blue just by putting it in my jeans pocket. And the pocket has less dye. Tesla should probably consider another color. Like red.

I'm surprised how little problems I've had with the white seats. I have 13k miles on them now and they look as good as the day I bought them. It's the same in my girlfriend's car. I also have a bulldog that likes to come with on trips, and rolls around in snow, grass, and mud. I have a dog hammock in back but it doesn't fully cover the white sides of the seats. Even those look good after wiping them down with alcohol wipes.

It would be hard to prevent color transfer with jeans. It’s just the nature of denim because they’re heavily dyed. Even my clear phone case is turning blue just by putting it in my jeans pocket. And the pocket has less dye. Tesla should probably consider another color. Like red.

I don't know how well the 3M Scotch Guard protection works, but I've been using it on my white seats in the meantime (it's part of the chemical composition and added ingredients to the protectant wipes I use from Meguiar's). Treating the seats probably helps to a degree, but will not entirely eliminate the risk of dye transfer.

I don't know how well the 3M Scotch Guard protection works, but I've been using it on my white seats in the meantime (it's part of the chemical composition and added ingredients to the protectant wipes I use from Meguiar's). Treating the seats probably helps to a degree, but will not entirely eliminate the risk of dye transfer.

I did add a leather protection when I bought the car. This one since it had some Tesla reviewers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00REX3LFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7EDFE033-D89C-421B-8261-E3B5B46B1D48.jpeg
I have the same issue, been meaning to ask service about it.

Those seats aren’t even the same material right? I think there’s a reason they discontinued those so quickly.

It has been stated that Tesla has been slowly changing the formulation and design of their seats to compensate for issues of wear, although to what degree, and what specifically was never made clear. My sense is that Tesla has compromised both its paint, and its seat materials to match both the California (negative) sentiment around the use of real leather as well as its strict requirements around cancer-causing materials in its paint chemistry. Early indications are that these don't hold up as well.

My prior two vehicles which I owned for about ten years each both were made of lighter colors of real leather - they held up very well (I'd say almost perfectly) through the hot summers and cold winters - even through direct sunlight for extended hours. That said, I've never owned a snow-white color prior to this.

As a side note, I have treated worn leather on our couches at home - we were faced with either entirely replacing the leather or resurfacing it with dye and filler. I ended up spending about $200 USD from a company out of Canada called leathertouchupdye.com vs. the $2800 it would have cost me to reupholster the furniture, and the results were quite positive and we came out well ahead. They have automotive leather care and repair products as well.

Before Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KsvzgALsAhE9Mpqi7

After Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9yMUJMfTnEMytL2C8

Reactions: Susala
I went ahead and ordered CarPro's Leather stain and dye transfer protection formula from Amazon (www.carpro.global), and it already arrived this morning. I'll be applying it later this afternoon on a small test area and then moving ahead sometime tomorrow if all goes well. I would be cautious about applying this to seats that already have staining. They may need to be properly cleaned first with alcohol. Interestingly, there is a warning NOT to apply this to Volvo leather seats.

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 12.24.56 PM.png

Reactions: Susala
What about the efficacy of using this on Tesla's pleather?

At least one user here on this thread, and multiple users on Amazon have reported success when applying on Tesla's vegan leather seats.

I will report back my individual experience once I've completed the application and had some time to review. I'm going to be looking mostly for any negative impact to the application itself, and likely will not be able to identify positive impacts since I will be applying this evenly to all seats in the car and won't have a control subject to test one against the other. In theory adding an additional layer of UV and dye transfer protection is a good idea.

• Helpful
Reactions: BluestarE3
At least one user here on this thread, and multiple users on Amazon have reported success when applying on Tesla's vegan leather seats.

I will report back my individual experience once I've completed the application and had some time to review. I'm going to be looking mostly for any negative impact to the application itself, and likely will not be able to identify positive impacts since I will be applying this evenly to all seats in the car and won't have a control subject to test one against the other. In theory adding an additional layer of UV and dye transfer protection is a good idea.

Here are my initial impressions:

1. Pre Application and Cleaning. You must first make sure that the underlying leather is clean. Typically this product is used when the seats are new or relatively new and in good condition. It is best to use a leather brush and non-oil based leather cleaning product, because otherwise whatever is below your coat will be made more permanent. Any oil based products that you may have used should be completely removed prior to application. I used a light coat of alcohol in my final cleaning and then moved on to the application itself.

2. CarPro's Leather Stain & Dye protection is easy to apply. They provide you with enough microfiber cloth pieces which gets wrapped around the sponge-based applicator which comes with the product. It applies smooth and clear, and does not change the texture or finish of the leather. Since it applies clear, you've got to keep a good handle on where you've applied it on the seats, since its virtually impossible to see unless you've got a very solid lighting source. Additional coats can be applied within 30 minutes of the prior application. I am going for three layers on the driver's side seat. Make sure you have proper ventilation during the application of the product.

3. Each coat dries to the touch within 10 minutes, is safe around water in about four hours, and is fully cured in three days.

4. From what I've come to understand, it is semi-permanent and lasts one to two years.

I've found this video to be instructional:

This video demonstrates the behavior of the leather once the application has been done. If you've never seen the repellent behavior of this type of material, it is really a wonder to see in action:

Features and Specifications:

• Durability: 1 to 2 years
  • Resists dye transfer
  • Hydrophobic & Oil Phobic
  • Stain resistant
  • Chemical resistant
  • UV resistant
  • "Easy clean" affect
  • Preserves color and resists fading
I'm including the warnings from the manufacturer because they clearly state that white and light interiors should be avoided. Other users have stated they've applied it successfully, so I am trying this route.

Precautions:
  • Professional Product - Not for do it yourself use
  • Do NOT use the orange suede applicators. Use only white cotton applicators or white suedes.
  • Avoid use on white/light colored interiors
  • Confirm any leather is standard finished leather only and if unsure perform 2 week visual test on inconspicuous surface
  • Note: Currently there are a variety of leather and vinyl materials with a variety of coatings used by many auto manufacturers. It is not possible to acquire or test this number of surfaces therefore user must confirm viability in inconspicuous area on any surface.
Assuming there are no issues this week, I will be returning next weekend to apply the remainder.