Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used 2016 Model S 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have loads of questions hoping you guys can help with your opinions...

With it being a January 2016 car will it have to supercharge as standard?

Are the tyres run flat as standard?

The car has 1 years warranty and over 4 years motor and battery warranty?

Has anyone extended the warranty and is it expensive?

Is it wise to buy a used Tesla?

Who is the best to buys insurance from and why are some insurance companies asking ridiculous prices (Admiral - £1400, Other £600)

What other maintenance costs should I expect?

> Will it have to Supercharge as standard?

I'm assuming this is a typo. A 2016 Model S will come with free lifetime Supercharging included at no extra cost. You do no have to Supercharge; a home charging adapter is included with the car and you can install a charging connector at your home.

> Are the tyres run flat as standard?

No.

> Is it wise to but a used Tesla?

As with all used cars, it depends on who from and the conditionof the vehicle. Assuming it's in good shape and not too high on the odometer, yes! Teslas hold up well so long as they're taken care of, in large part thanks to the simplicity of the powertrain compared to an ICE car.

> What other maintenance costs should I expect?

Your petrol budget will drop to zero but you'll see a slight uptick in your electrical bill. ;)

Also, Tesla recommends a yearly maintenance that includes filters, some fluids, and an inspection. Tesla service is not cheap — roughly US$600 per maintenance check – but it's not unreasonable for a premium luxury sedan like the Model S.

Thank you for the response, and for deciphering my horrific spelling...

I can't seem to edit the post, but here is my second attempt:
I have loads of questions hoping you guys can help with your opinions...

With it being a January 2016 car will it have free supercharge as standard?

The car has 1-year warranty and over 4 years motor and battery warranty.

Is it wise to buy a used Tesla?

Who is best to buy insurance from and why are some insurance companies asking ridiculous prices (Admiral - £1400, Other £600)

With it being a January 2016 car will it have free supercharge as standard?

Yes it should. My only caveat would be if you are not buying it from the original owner. I am not certain whether in those circumstances the free Supercharging transfers to what is effectively the third owner.

No definitely not. The Tesla wheels are not suitable for run flats.

I can’t add anything particularly helpful IRO your other questions.

Free Supercharging is tied to the VIN, not the owner.

Indeed, and the wording in My Tesla relating to Supercharging says ‘ If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner.” I’m the first owner, so clear to me the next owner gets free Supercharging.

However, I wouldn’t infer from the wording above that free Supercharging transfers to the 3rd owner. It says “next” not “all future”. Being Stateside you may well have more experience of cars being sold multiple times, but I don’t have that experience hence the caveat in my comment.

Insurance wise direct line have a deal with tesla.mines was £365
Tyres are not run flat best to carry a can of foam and get breakdown cover.
Servicing is expensive but not required to. Maintain warranty.personally I haven't serviced my car .others have waited until year 4 to get the major service done.

With it being a January 2016 car will it have to supercharge as standard?
Yes and this entitlement stays with the car.

Are the tyres run flat as standard? No

The car has 1 years warranty and over 4 years motor and battery warranty?

In the UK, the extended warranty is an insurance policy with Allianz - see the link here
Extended Warranty Insurance by Allianz
I think it costs about £3200 for four years and £1600 for two years.
WarrantyWise is another possibility - unlike Allianz, WarantyWise have no arrangement with Tesla. They now cover EVs, including Teslas and seem to have a flexible approach i.e. no fixed mileage limit, will quote for cars with incomplete service history, etc. - and they are much cheaper. I will probably go with them.

Is it wise to buy a used Tesla? I think so - I bought a used 2016 Model S in early 2018, direct from the owner (via an advert in Autotrader).

Who is the best to buys insurance from and why are some insurance companies asking ridiculous prices (Admiral - £1400, Other £600)
Direct Line has a deal with Tesla and a phone number specifically for Tesla: 0800 051 0036 - they will knock 5% off their quote if the car has AP. Other Tesla friendly insurers include Novo and LV.

Tesla are expensive e.g £700 for a second year service - whilst it isn't out of line with Porsche and other luxury marques, the service has lots of checking and very little parts replacement. Some third parties are now offering Tesla servicing at dramatically lower prices e.g. Cleevely Motors in Cheltenham.

Hi

Appreciate the help, due to collect the car in the morning, however ...

Despite the car having Auto Pilot, the main Tesler dealership is unaware i.e the car was not delivered with AP and there is no record of AP being enabled after purchase. (I'm buying from a third party dealer)

Thoughts?

A Jan 16 car will have Autopilot 1 (AP1). The primary abilities are a combination of adaptive cruise control and auto steering. This will work on motorways and dual carriageways where the lane markings are clear. It may work on other roads that are clearly defined in the same way.

It is activated by pulling the smaller stalk on the left hand side of the steering wheel towards you. One pull activates TACC (traffic aware cruise control aka adaptive cruise control) a second pull will activate the autosteer.

If it doesn’t do this than it hasn’t been activated. You could look in the car settings whilst the car is in Park. If it’s all greyed out that wouldn’t be a good sign.

Thanks all,

So the dealer attempted to claim that the car had full autopilot. When it did not.

I didn't get the car.

Car dealers can be tricky at the best of times, when it comes to Tesla most are very poorly informed.

I think this guy is a long way from you but he is very highly thought of. Many Tesla owners use him when changing their cars, especially as Telsa themselves really aren’t very interested in selling used cars so p/x values aren’t generous.

Richard drives a Tesla himself and although I’ve never used him myself I don’t think you’d go far wrong with him.

R Symons Ltd

Reactions: Terry_B58