Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used, light wrecked S and need advice on repairability.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I would love your expertise if the damage on this Model S is No Big Deal to fix or if it's going to be really hard to fix and buckets of money.

Link to front end damage:
Imgur

I am looking for a project car and Tesla is the only brand that has made me excited about cars in the last 20 years.

Thanks!

Buckets of money. Always assume buckets of money.

Clearly there is an insurance adjuster and his/her body shop already calculated it’s in excess of $25k to fix it (at the threshold to total a base Tesla).

I see a broken suspension arm. Is the subframe damaged also?

You know you are in for a hood, fender, front bumper, headlight assembly for sure. Then the hidden stuff - AC condenser, fan, radiator, sensors, suspension pieces, subframe?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
"light wrecked", no. If all you had was that external body damage... well, fixable but costly. But with that big broken piece of aluminum, that has to be replaced... not sure where that is, but that looks like a major framing part of the car. Can that even be replaced??

I can see more pictures on the desktop. Weird.

Anyway, that broken piece might be part of the subframe or part of the radiator support (or that's what its called on cars with a radiator in the middle). They can be replaced, but it surely indicates that it was a high energy collision and there will be many more broken bits you haven't discovered yet.

If you want to try and match it up - here's the front subframe on ebay
⭐ TESLA MODEL S FRONT SUBFRAME CROSSMEMBER RWD OEM 1009825-00-A ⭐ | eBay

And the radiator support
2012 -2015 Tesla Model S OEM Magnesium Radiator Core Support Cage 1005536 | eBay

Hey everyone, I would love your expertise if the damage on this Model S is No Big Deal to fix or if it's going to be really hard to fix and buckets of money.

Link to front end damage:
Imgur

I am looking for a project car and Tesla is the only brand that has made me excited about cars in the last 20 years.

Thanks!

Buckets. Thats why it was totaled in the first place. A professional(s) estimated the damage to be nearly worth more than the current value of the car. That means the sum of the replacement parts and labor associated was north of $X and they sent it to be auctioned off to dismantlers

Could you do it for less, unprofessionally, with used parts from other Teslas? Sure.

I'll leave it at that. There's been an influx of threads lately of people wanting to repair, you'll find them if you go back a few pages on the forums and get valuable advice there.