Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice: Post-Collision Autopilot Concern and Repair Cost Guidance for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Community,

I'm reaching out to seek guidance on managing a situation I've encountered with my new Tesla. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Background:

I took delivery of my Tesla Model 3 yesterday. While driving a few miles away from the Tesla Service Center, I engaged Autopilot on a local road. To my surprise, the system failed to detect a red light and did not slow down the vehicle. I braked immediately but unfortunately still collided with another car at a speed well below 40 mph.

Thankfully, there were no injuries, and we exchanged information to contact our insurance companies. My car is now near the Tesla Collision Center Oceanside, although the earliest appointment available is after November 20th.

Car Damage:

The impact primarily affected the right front side of the vehicle, disabling the headlight and damaging the front wheel on that side. The camera is also malfunctioning. (As a new user, I'm unable to post pictures.)

The Issue:

Regrettably, I only secured liability insurance and had intended to switch to Tesla Insurance once eligible—my current temporary driver's license precludes me from obtaining a quote. Consequently, my insurance will not cover the damages to my Tesla.

I am facing the prospect of out-of-pocket expenses for repairs and am seeking the most cost-effective approach.

I've received preliminary estimates in excess of $12,000 from a Tesla-approved center based on photos of the damage.

While I understand that repair costs often align with insurance pricing standards, I am hopeful that there may be a way to obtain repairs at a more manageable price as an individual payer.

Based on the situation, is there anything I can do about it? My goal is to spend less than $5000 to fix this. (higher than this would be a little bit hard for me as a student😢)

Additional Questions:

I have previous experience driving Teslas and using Autopilot, but this incident has shaken my confidence in the system. I'm beginning to question its reliability.

I would be grateful for your insights on minimizing repair costs and any similar experiences with Autopilot.

Thank you for your time.

Try to post the picture(Hopefully this is not sensetive)

IMG_2579_TESLA.jpg

Dear Community,

I'm reaching out to seek guidance on managing a situation I've encountered with my new Tesla. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Background:

I took delivery of my Tesla Model 3 yesterday. While driving a few miles away from the Tesla Service Center, I engaged Autopilot on a local road. To my surprise, the system failed to detect a red light and did not slow down the vehicle. I braked immediately but unfortunately still collided with another car at a speed well below 40 mph.

Thankfully, there were no injuries, and we exchanged information to contact our insurance companies. My car is now near the Tesla Collision Center Oceanside, although the earliest appointment available is after November 20th.

Car Damage:

The impact primarily affected the right front side of the vehicle, disabling the headlight and damaging the front wheel on that side. The camera is also malfunctioning. (As a new user, I'm unable to post pictures.)

The Issue:

Regrettably, I only secured liability insurance and had intended to switch to Tesla Insurance once eligible—my current temporary driver's license precludes me from obtaining a quote. Consequently, my insurance will not cover the damages to my Tesla.

I am facing the prospect of out-of-pocket expenses for repairs and am seeking the most cost-effective approach.

I've received preliminary estimates in excess of $12,000 from a Tesla-approved center based on photos of the damage.

While I understand that repair costs often align with insurance pricing standards, I am hopeful that there may be a way to obtain repairs at a more manageable price as an individual payer.

Based on the situation, is there anything I can do about it? My goal is to spend less than $5000 to fix this. (higher than this would be a little bit hard for me as a student😢)

Additional Questions:

I have previous experience driving Teslas and using Autopilot, but this incident has shaken my confidence in the system. I'm beginning to question its reliability.

I would be grateful for your insights on minimizing repair costs and any similar experiences with Autopilot.

Thank you for your time.

This isnt ment to be a TMC moderator note, or representing anyone but myself as a regular poster.

This sequence of events doesnt even seem like it could be real....

You:

1. Bought a brand new Tesla
2. With a Temporary Drivers license
3. Only bought minimum liability insurance
4. Engaged autopilot RIGHT after taking delivery
5. Got into an accident
6. Now for some reason are "questioning the system"

If this is all real, this is a pretty , um.. not sure at the right word here so not going to use one and just say "XXXX sequence of events". If its real, you are about to learn some VERY harsh financial lessons. You are in a financial world of hurt, and no, you are not going to get this new car (and whatever other car you hit) fixed for 5k.

Rather than questioning "the driving system" you probably should start with taking a look in yourself for this decision making process laid out above.

Before someone says to me " Oh wow, thats harsh, they just want advice, wtf are you saying" or something like that, I do have sympathy because if this is real, its about to get very rough for this OP. Its just such a strange set of circumstances it doesnt look real.

This isnt ment to be a TMC moderator note, or representing anyone but myself as a regular poster.

You:

5. Got into an accident

If this is all real, this is a pretty , um.. not sure at the right word here so not going to use one and just say "XXXX sequence of events". If its real, you are about to learn some VERY harsh financial lessons. You are in a financial world of hurt, and no, you are not going to get this new car (and whatever other car you hit) fixed for 5k.
Thanks for the criticism.

I do realize there is a risk. My original plan is to drive back to home and wait for the Tesla Insurance work. However, the accident happened.

IIRC, there are warnings when you drive off that the cameras and the system needs several miles to calibrate before it can be used. Are you sure AP or FSD was turned on?

In any case, AAA or a major credit card usually has towing benefits you can use. ($300 for a tow <50 miles sounds standard)

As for repairs… I may be wrong here, but my limited experience is that some shops won’t take non-insurance work as costs can quickly balloon after the tear down. In any case, good luck with this. You’ll probably need to call around for a shop that:
1. will work on a Tesla,
2. is able to order Tesla parts,
3. will accept non-insurance work, and
4. do it within your budget.

I think you can get 3 out of 4… but quite a lot of legwork to do.

Sorry to hear this, I felt your pain ... this will always be a story to think back and laugh about later in life :)

If there is no mechanical, electrical, or frame damages (big if though), you can try to :-

Find a non certified body shop / paintless dent repair shop or yourself - fix the right fender to see if can still attach a bumper securely to it
Wheel can be repaired but you check with a shop first (around 150-200), if not get a new wheel, tires may be affected too.
Headlight obviously needs to be replaced
Replace bumper
If it is still too expensive, get some Gorilla duct tape/ ties for the fender and bumper and fix it later when you can afford it, not sure it will pass inspection though..
AAA can tow the car for you if you are a member.

It sure sounds kind of funny. Trusting autopilot/FSD on a brand new car purchase on the way home. No collision coverage on a brand new car. The fact you start to "doubt" the system made me laugh even more. I never trusted these systems. Even if you use them, you should always pay attention. It only takes 1 error to get you killed.

Anyway to the advice. Is the suspension damaged? From the picture, it seems to be only the wheel. If only the wheel is damaged and causing it to have flat tire, you should repair/replace that first. Jack up the car and take the wheels off for repair/replacement. Then drive the car to non-tesla authorized bodyshops and ask around what they can do. These body shops are cheaper but they cannot order parts from tesla. I think you can buy headlights, fender and bumpers yourself online. Have the body shop do the paint work and installation. Run around a few shops and see the options.

Last edited:

You:

5. Got into an accident

Rather than questioning "the driving system" you probably should start with taking a look in yourself for this decision making process laid out above.

Before someone says to me " Oh wow, thats harsh, they just want advice, wtf are you saying" or something like that, I do have sympathy because if this is real, its about to get very rough for this OP. Its just such a strange set of circumstances it doesnt look real.
Agree with everything you said. Just doesn’t add up. Furthermore looking at that pic a NEW Tesla would not have chrome cameras, or USS, or those tires and rims with no covers. Just seems a bit far fetched.

Not sure what all the acronyms stand for, but I have FSD, which I rarely use because it is too buggy for city streets, but with one depression rather than two on the stalk, my autopilot takes over all but steering and stops at stop signs and intersection signals. It will resume accelerating after the stop light turns green but requires that I accelerate after a top sign.

Not sure what all the acronyms stand for, but I have FSD, which I rarely use because it is too buggy for city streets, but with one depression rather than two on the stalk, my autopilot takes over all but steering and stops at stop signs and intersection signals. It will resume accelerating after the stop light turns green but requires that I accelerate after a top sign.
If you Have FSD it is using the features of that package which include stop signs and stop lights. Autopilot will not stop at either on its own unless there is a car blocking your path forward.