Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model S, need some input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although, white. Man you have to wash those cars a lot!​
You obviously never owned a white car. As all colors go, white shows dirt less than most (best are light grey, silver - the darker the color the quicker it shows dirt). Black on the other hand shows dirt and fingerprints within 24 hours of washing, no matter where you drive and park. White just gradually gets dimmer as dirt covers it, but it's much less noticeable unless you clean a part of it (or write on it with your finger). There is an exception for white though, if you live somewhere with red clay for example, the red dirt does show up on white. Most places however don't have bright red clay, so it's not a common issue.

You obviously never owned a white car. As all colors go, white shows dirt less than most (best are light grey, silver - the darker the color the quicker it shows dirt). Black on the other hand shows dirt and fingerprints within 24 hours of washing, no matter where you drive and park. White just gradually gets dimmer as dirt covers it, but it's much less noticeable unless you clean a part of it (or write on it with your finger). There is an exception for white though, if you live somewhere with red clay for example, the red dirt does show up on white. Most places however don't have bright red clay, so it's not a common issue.

No, I also live in the Seattle area, and my Mercedes S-Class was white. Only white car I ever owned, probably the last. Don't know why but it always seem to look dirtier to me than all the other cars I've ever owned. My Model S is a dark blue, I don't think it shows the dirt is bad! But, maybe it's just the way I look at things.

Go for the 13, build quality was better than in 2012. If I could add a third option it would be to get one that is at least a late 2014. Build quality was much better then compared to 2012-2013. A lot of the 2012-2013 cars had lots of issues like Door handles, MCU, DU and even new battery replacements. Also 2012 only has about 2 years left on DU and battery warranty.

No, I also live in the Seattle area, and my Mercedes S-Class was white. Only white car I ever owned, probably the last. Don't know why but it always seem to look dirtier to me than all the other cars I've ever owned. My Model S is a dark blue, I don't think it shows the dirt is bad! But, maybe it's just the way I look at things.
Maybe you had an off white or pearl white which for most manufacturers it looks yellow or dirty even when clean, unless parked in full sunlight. I had a Porsche and a Lexus which looked yellow/dirty when parked to plain white cars. Tesla managed to get pearl white almost as while as solid white - we have one of each and they almost always look great - only exception is in yellow streetlight light the pearl picks up a bunch of yellowing.

Maybe you had an off white or pearl white which for most manufacturers it looks yellow or dirty even when clean, unless parked in full sunlight. I had a Porsche and a Lexus which looked yellow/dirty when parked to plain white cars. Tesla managed to get pearl white almost as while as solid white - we have one of each and they almost always look great - only exception is in yellow streetlight light the pearl picks up a bunch of yellowing.
@henderrj , here is an example of what I'm talking about, white Tesla and Kia compared to white Honda. The tesla was dirty by the way (I wash it every few months, 3-4 times a year) while the Honda was actually rather clean. I recently saw a brand new Cadillac which looked like a yellowed tooth, even in bright sunlight.
pear-white-vs-solid-white.png

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj