Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model S- what must have features should I hold out for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of great points here by other posters. I pulled the trigger on a used 2016 (refresh) 75D from Tesla last week; living through waiting purgatory.

I'm sure getting a 90D would have ensured a longer range over the life of the car. But given my relatively short daily commute, the thing I wanted to know was how often a long trip that I was likely to take would require more SuperCharger stops. So, I compared nine destinations from home (DC area), the farthest being Austin, TX. Only on the Austin trip was there one additional charging stop (all based on EV Trip Planner). So, apples-to-apples on other features, I was not going to be able to justify the incremental $5K-ish cost of the 90D for my needs.

Good luck!

The following is a really irrelevant thought, - that makes not difference in the scheme of things here. I'm just wondering - on a slow news day. Not directed at the, I'm sure, very nice people that just put a hole in the order page to get a Tesla.

Why do people buying a new or used Tesla online say "I pulled the trigger"? This is not the first. Seems like the favorite expression used here vs, "I ordered" Did they really pull the trigger or did they click the button on the mouse?

How does pulling a trigger correspond to clicking the mouse to do something?

The following is a really irrelevant thought, - that makes not difference in the scheme of things here. I'm just wondering - on a slow news day. Not directed at the, I'm sure, very nice people that just put a hole in the order page to get a Tesla.

Why do people buying a new or used Tesla online say "I pulled the trigger"? This is not the first. Seems like the favorite expression used here vs, "I ordered" Did they really pull the trigger or did they click the button on the mouse?

How does pulling a trigger correspond to clicking the mouse to do something?
Both actions require the use of the index finger...

• Funny
Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Maybe they’re all using a mouse like this.

B6987564-8C82-4DA7-AD7E-AC288B28BE43.png

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
I am in the same boat as Littlefinger9 and want to replace my good old Prius sometime this year with a Model S.
Today I saw an awesome offer from Tesla directly for a fully loaded 90D from 2015 with only a bit over 30k miles over it for only 48k. Here in Europe it comes with full 2 years warranty and this is one of the lowest priced Model S on the market (only downside is that it has a couple of scratches all around but I can live with that)

And that's the reason I am posting here:
I saw a couple of you recommending the 90D. I was close to pulling the trigger but when I searched a bit here and on other forums I heard a lot of complaints about the 90D battery degradation and charge speed throttling which made me doubt again (and could explain the rather low price). Any thoughts?
EDIT: Nevermind, already gone form the Tesla website, so I guess sold :(

@Littlefinger9: I think the 75D would be an excellent choice. I had one for a weekend (I think it was a 2019) and while on paper it is 'slower' I never felt that there was a lack of power whatsoever. This thing was absolutely flying. Unfortunately not many here on the second hand market (and none reasonably priced).

Last edited:
You know the 75D uses the same batteries at the 90D?

Supercharging speed was throttled. To safeguard the batteries health. Can't blame them for that. On the flip side, what would people be saying if - Tesla learned the battery supercharging speed SHOULD be throttled and DIDN'T?
Would the same people be complaining that "THEY KNEW and they DIDN'T protect our cars.

Sometimes you can't win for losing.

Supercharging speed was throttled. To safeguard the batteries health. Can't blame them for that. On the flip side, what would people be saying if - Tesla learned the battery supercharging speed SHOULD be throttled and DIDN'T?
Would the same people be complaining that "THEY KNEW and they DIDN'T protect our cars.

yea...instead of "pulling the trigger" we can say it's a "catch-22" thing

No I didn’t know the 75D uses the same battery. Can you explain?
Same battery, not same battery pack. 75 battery has less batteries than 90 battery (pack). I remember the 85 had something like 7,400 or so batteries. I'm getting old and losing my memory. But I think the battery is called a 18650 and its just a little larger than a double AA battery. The Model 3 is a new battery a little larger. And it was only in summer of '19 that the started using the Model 3 in the Model S (I think, I recall).

My point? Same chemistry in the 60, 70, 75, 90, 100 battery pack.

Same battery, not same battery pack. 75 battery has less batteries than 90 battery (pack). I remember the 85 had something like 7,400 or so batteries. I'm getting old and losing my memory. But I think the battery is called a 16830 and its just a little larger than a double AA battery. The Model 3 is a new battery a little larger. And it was only in summer of '19 that the started using the Model 3 in the Model S (I think, I recall).

Same battery, not same battery pack. 75 battery has less batteries than 90 battery (pack). I remember the 85 had something like 7,400 or so batteries. I'm getting old and losing my memory. But I think the battery is called a 16830 and its just a little larger than a double AA battery. The Model 3 is a new battery a little larger. And it was only in summer of '19 that the started using the Model 3 in the Model S (I think, I recall).

Same battery, not same battery pack. 75 battery has less batteries than 90 battery (pack). I remember the 85 had something like 7,400 or so batteries. I'm getting old and losing my memory. But I think the battery is called a 18650 and its just a little larger than a double AA battery. The Model 3 is a new battery a little larger. And it was only in summer of '19 that the started using the Model 3 in the Model S (I think, I recall).

I am not too sure the Model S Ravens have the Model 3 batteries....I think they still have the older version

@r1200gs4ok, I quickly concede that you are probably right. I can't remember where I read Raven. But maybe not. I side with you. Even the second and third time :)
I could be wrong though....I hope they have the Model 3 battery....My wife's M3 has them.....hers is a jun 2019 version....great car......My MS is jan 2020......dont know what is has....still looking for info

If Tesla really cared about protecting our cars then they should issue a recall :rolleyes: Also they should NOT have advertised those faster charging speeds and if they didn't know at that time well issue a recall.

I am in the same boat as Littlefinger9 and want to replace my good old Prius sometime this year with a Model S.
Today I saw an awesome offer from Tesla directly for a fully loaded 90D from 2015 with only a bit over 30k miles over it for only 48k. Here in Europe it comes with full 2 years warranty and this is one of the lowest priced Model S on the market (only downside is that it has a couple of scratches all around but I can live with that)

And that's the reason I am posting here:
I saw a couple of you recommending the 90D. I was close to pulling the trigger but when I searched a bit here and on other forums I heard a lot of complaints about the 90D battery degradation and charge speed throttling which made me doubt again (and could explain the rather low price). Any thoughts?
EDIT: Nevermind, already gone form the Tesla website, so I guess sold :(

The 90 packs tend to have a steeper degradation curve initially than the older 85 packs. However, the 90 (gen 2) cells are not being throttled like the 85 (gen 1) cells. The first post in the battery-gate thread does a good job of explaining the whole situation based on the available information.

When I purchased my used Model S last year, I went for the 85D based on what people were saying on the board in terms of reliability and it's true that my car had only lost 5 miles of range from it's original EPA rating. If I was doing it again now, I'd probably opt for a 90D because a degraded 90 pack would still have more range than an 85 pack and it wouldn't be throttled.

In terms of numbers, an 85D with an EPA rating of 270 miles of range at 100% would probably now have somewhere between 260-265. A facelift 90D with an EPA rating of 294 would probably fall around 275-278 @ 100%.

Get one with a warranty. Also keep in mind that the inservice date is when the warranty starts, so if someone buys a non-titled loaner Tesla with 16,000 miles the factory warranty goes to 4 years from that date of title and 50K on top of the 16K and 8 years on unlimited on the battery, unless you get a 2019+ then your limited to 8 years or 150K miles on the battery and drive unit warranty (so I would get something older than a Feb 1st, 2019, which is when they released the new limited mileage warranty and added a bunch of other crap about cosmetic stuff they wont cover). I cancelled my truck reservations after seeing this new warranty, and an interaction with Tesla where they snaked out of covering items that were not exclusions on the old warranty, in fact they lied to me and told me the new warranty supersedes the old warranty. Attached is my original March build 2016 warranty which you can request per the original bill of sale signed with Tesla. I've spent $300K with Tesla since 2013, I'm hoping some of the new EV providers coming up are more ethical. I also cancelled my 2 truck reservations after this last interaction at the Tysons Corner SC.

Tesla Modifies Warranty Terms To Protect Against Known Issues | InsideEVs Photos

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/r...nty-terms-to-protect-against-known-issues.jpg

Attachments

• Model_S_New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_201602_en_NA.pdf
    140.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I could be wrong though....I hope they have the Model 3 battery....My wife's M3 has them.....hers is a jun 2019 version....great car......My MS is jan 2020......dont know what is has....still looking for info

Two or three years ago I wrote a post "Why you won't see 18650 batteries in the model s or x anytime soon". we still won't see them for some time. That's simply a form factor. The chemistry in the new Ravens is exactly the same as the chemistry in the model 3. Just the battery cell size is different. The various reasons are in that old post but basically Tesla is not going to throw away perfectly good working equipment to make batteries, when there aren't enough batteries in the world as it is.