Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used tesla…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to all, hopefully this is the right place for this. I’ve owned several others evs and now looking at a tesla. I am looking into buying a used 2020 model 3 sr+ with 23k miles on it for $30k. Just wondering what you guys think about that and if it’s a good deal? The bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire in 6 months (saw carfax) so all repairs would be on me. I noticed one of the speakers making a popping noise (hopefully covered under warranty) but other than that it seems to be solid. I know with most manufacturers the “bumper to bumper” has several caveats…certain things are only covered for 12/12 some 2/24 so I guess I’ll have to ask tesla about that.

I was looking at a 23 sr (rwd) and could get it for $40k but I want to save money. Idc about project highland so not worried about that and I already took the $7500 for one of my other evs and it’s my understanding that you can only take it once every 3 years so not worried about that either. Any issues with the 2020’sthat I should know about? Specifically the standard range plus? I’ve done a lot of googling but most articles are recent and it’s hard to find info on older models. Upside that I’ve learned already is it still has the old hardware so it still has uss and a rain sensor. From reading these and other forums I see folks aren’t too happy with the camera based system. Anyway, thanks for any help in advance.

Wanted to point out that I believe the three year claim cooldown is for used vehicles only - the time limit only appears in the used car section. If you didn't buy your other new EV this year, you're probably good to go for claiming the credit again.

Base inventory Model 3 RWDs near me are discounted roughly up to $2000, so that could bring you to near price parity with the used car if you can stomach waiting a year for the credit.

Last edited:
You can use $7500 credit again on a new car as long as you have enough tax liability. You can get brand new RWD for same price and maybe cheaper. I would not buy that used car for 30k. With discounts on inventory cars, especially model 3s, I see 1-4K. Saw 4 k off performance. Also with tesla referral discount, another $500 off. Only deal breaker is if you must have parking sensors. The camera based ones I hear sucks. I never really listen to my USS, it’s too conservative.

You can use $7500 credit again on a new car as long as you have enough tax liability. You can get brand new RWD for same price and maybe cheaper. I would not buy that used car for 30k. With discounts on inventory cars, especially model 3s, I see 1-4K. Saw 4 k off performance. Also with tesla referral discount, another $500 off. Only deal breaker is if you must have parking sensors. The camera based ones I hear sucks. I never really listen to my USS, it’s too conservative.
All of the inventory cars in my area are crazy high. I’m seeing 20’s and 19’s going in the mid to high 30’s. Saw a few 2020’s that are priced at $35,600 & $34,200 with 43,000 & 52,000 miles respectively. Plus they’re not close so I’d have to pay for shipping. I checked the book and it’s actually worth exactly what I’m going to be paying for it. And that credit doesn’t apply to me since I never have and tax liability. A new one will be $44k at the very least after taxes and delivery. And the only thing I’m missing that I care about is the heat pump.

If you have had EVs, then you already know what the winter degradation is going to be like and you then understand what the actual range of the SR model is going to be.

Indeed, look at the Tesla inventory vehicles, they are pretty cheap and be on the lookout for extra things like EAP and FSD on them.

I'm on the opposite side and would definitely pay the extra 10k for peace of mind and get a brand new one, maybe even wait for a '24.
Your already spending 30k, or about 75% of the cost of a new one, and getting a lot less. New has full warranty, fresh new battery, no wear and tear on the interior or suspension components. The used car probably needs tires, or will soon, figure a thousand bucks easy for that. You have no clue what the battery's health is, unless you know how to go into Service Mode. You don't know how it was charged and if the previous owner kept it low frequently or actually charged it to 100% weekly as is recommended.
Too many unknowns for me to spend 30k. 20k, or half the price of a new one, then I'd take the chance if the car was particularly well-kept. If it's an early '20, it's almost 4 years old. Check the manufacturing sticker in the door.
If your in a cold climate, realistically your only looking at about 200 miles of range max. If you drive longer distances, this is going to be an inconvenience for sure.

You should be able to qualify for tax credit every year. As long as you didn’t purchase a new EV already in 2023.

Definitely look into that and any local/state incentives. My brother just purchased a new inventory Model 3 RWD which will be a net cost of under $30k after tax credit and state rebate.

Newer Model 3 RWD with LFP battery is better than old SR+ because you can charge to 100% frequently which gives you much more usable range than 80-90% of the already lower range on the old SR+.

Spend the extra $$$ if you can get the new one. Full factory warranty and a lot of upgrades over the years. A key one for you is the heat pump. It will really help your winter range. If you can swing it, get the long range and have AWD.

Hello to all, hopefully this is the right place for this. I’ve owned several others evs and now looking at a tesla. I am looking into buying a used 2020 model 3 sr+ with 23k miles on it for $30k. Just wondering what you guys think about that and if it’s a good deal? The bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire in 6 months (saw carfax) so all repairs would be on me. I noticed one of the speakers making a popping noise (hopefully covered under warranty) but other than that it seems to be solid. I know with most manufacturers the “bumper to bumper” has several caveats…certain things are only covered for 12/12 some 2/24 so I guess I’ll have to ask tesla about that.

I was looking at a 23 sr (rwd) and could get it for $40k but I want to save money. Idc about project highland so not worried about that and I already took the $7500 for one of my other evs and it’s my understanding that you can only take it once every 3 years so not worried about that either. Any issues with the 2020’sthat I should know about? Specifically the standard range plus? I’ve done a lot of googling but most articles are recent and it’s hard to find info on older models. Upside that I’ve learned already is it still has the old hardware so it still has uss and a rain sensor. From reading these and other forums I see folks aren’t too happy with the camera based system. Anyway, thanks for any help in advance.

I just bought a 2020 Tesla 3 LR w/ AP, with 26K miles I paid $35,500 (obviously less taxes). It also came with about 3K extra stuff like mobile charging kit (most used teslas don't come with that), roof rack, all weather interior liners, 18" aero wheel winter tire package, and a few other things and that's almost 3K extra stuff.

A new 3 with all that would go for 50K. I paid 35K with 26K miles and it was in great shape. Based on what I could find it was a good deal (although not a great deal). I'm generally happy with the price but I had to cuss at the salesman. I'll be happy to save the 30+% for a gently used car.

Now I just have to get used to it.

I just bought a 2020 Tesla 3 LR w/ AP, with 26K miles I paid $35,500 (obviously less taxes). It also came with about 3K extra stuff like mobile charging kit (most used teslas don't come with that), roof rack, all weather interior liners, 18" aero wheel winter tire package, and a few other things and that's almost 3K extra stuff.

A new 3 with all that would go for 50K. I paid 35K with 26K miles and it was in great shape. Based on what I could find it was a good deal (although not a great deal). I'm generally happy with the price but I had to cuss at the salesman. I'll be happy to save the 30+% for a gently used car.

Now I just have to get used to it.
Yea I went ahead and pulled the trigger and am very happy so far. Mine also came with all the extras you mentioned except for the roof racks. Whoever had it before me took great care of it. The only issues are the factory warranty is up 12/15 and the whole side repeater camera glare…🤦🏾‍♂️ I will most likely purchase the extended service agreement for $1800 from tesla (dealer I bought from wanted $3800 😅) and I’ll most likely pop each repeater out and unplug the blinker harness. Problem solved 🤷🏾‍♂️