Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

buying out of state and supercharging without ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all of you who have bought used from out of state, has anyone had issues with supercharging while waiting for the tesla to register "ownership"
i would like to by one around 500 miles away. but if i dont get ownership almost immediately, i wont be able to supercharge on the way home.
is there a way around this? what did you do? im trying to avoid the $1500 shipping fee. thanks

For all of you who have bought used from out of state, has anyone had issues with supercharging while waiting for the tesla to register "ownership"
i would like to by one around 500 miles away. but if i dont get ownership almost immediately, i wont be able to supercharge on the way home.
is there a way around this? what did you do? im trying to avoid the $1500 shipping fee. thanks
Someone's credit card must be in that car's account for you to Supercharge.

Your account won't be updated with your ownership until the paperwork is verified. That will not be immediately.

I wouldn't recommend to give your credit card to the owner because if the old owner overcharged your credit limit like $20,000, then you will be stranded in the middle of the way when Supercharger can't charge an overlimit card.

Thus, if you are on a vacation, you can do what others have done when there was no Superchargers: use slow chargers like 30Amp ChargePoints, 50Amp camp grounds like KOA...

By the way, if your car is new enough to have CCS built-in, you can order CCS-Tesla adapter and use CCS chargers like Electrify America.

Upvote 0
so it sounds like driving a car home form a long distance dealer is unlikely, at least if i want a quick recharge.
Electrify America CCS is not slow. Tesla Supercharger maximum is 250 kW (among other Tesla Superchargers at 72 and 150 kW speed) but Electrify America maximum is 350 kW.

Some stations would even be free to everyone for a limited period to get you addicted to its service.

Porche Taycan did an Cannonball run across the US with CCS and beat all other EV records, including Tesla's in 2021:

Its locations across the US is pretty good:

1666029540420.png

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0