Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used MS from Tesla.com?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are pluses and minuses to doing so. Sometimes they included extra software for almost free or greatly discounted such as FSD. It may have a longer warranty.

The downside is if it isn't close, their transport fees are high. They will charge you if you reject the car unless it falls within their reject criteria. It can have pretty substantial cosmetic defects and still be good as far as they are concerned. If you refuse, they'll still charge the transport fee. Most of the time you'll be fine but just be aware of the fine print so to speak. Also no chance to negotiate price. You may do better locally, I know I did.

There are pluses and minuses to doing so. Sometimes they included extra software for almost free or greatly discounted such as FSD. It may have a longer warranty.

The downside is if it isn't close, their transport fees are high. They will charge you if you reject the car unless it falls within their reject criteria. It can have pretty substantial cosmetic defects and still be good as far as they are concerned. If you refuse, they'll still charge the transport fee. Most of the time you'll be fine but just be aware of the fine print so to speak. Also no chance to negotiate price. You may do better locally, I know I did.
thanks... and if I am testing a car from a private seller, how can I confirm if it has FSD already purchased (non just subscription) by just looking at the screen? Like before I take a trip to see it, is there anyway to tell from photos?

Is it under software, and then (Full self driving capability --> Included package?)?

Last edited:
Personally, I would buy a new MS…

A new Tesla MS LR spec'd the way I want is about 96K USD..... If I can get similar spec (I understand the hardware difference) by going for a pre-owned 2022-2023 MS LR for 65-75K depending on mileage, why not? A new 2023 MS LR today will drop in value by as much the same as 2022 now..... For someone who trades so quick, isn't pre-owned a better decision or even for anyone?

Reactions: El joe and Carsly2
I've purchased two used Tesla's from Tesla directly. The most recent is a 2021 Plaid, bought for under $80K with 3.5 years of warranty - not all that far off from a new car warranty and for a lot less money than a new Plaid. Car is fantastic, small nicks and scratches but otherwise runs like new.

Reactions: IChillinz
A new Tesla MS LR spec'd the way I want is about 96K USD..... If I can get similar spec (I understand the hardware difference) by going for a pre-owned 2022-2023 MS LR for 65-75K depending on mileage, why not? A new 2023 MS LR today will drop in value by as much the same as 2022 now..... For someone who trades so quick, isn't pre-owned a better decision or even for anyone?

If think your new versus used price comparisons are a bit off, at least if you’re talking about buying from Tesla.

The cheapest used 2022 MS posted in their inventory right now is $75,600. Similarly equipped new 2023 exiting inventory cars can be had for less than $10k more.

From what I understand, Tesla sells very few used cars and dumps them at the auction. I looked online for exmple, and there are less than 5 used Model S for sale in the US.
I'd recommend trying different zip codes. I usually use 90001. I was able to locate a used Model 3 LR RWD. Yes, they charged me shipping but if you find a deal, they'll ship to your local delivery center.

I just listed my mint condition refresh S with a basically new spare set of Tesla winter tires if you are interested... 25k less than new.

I just bought a used 2020 LR AWD MY with induction wheels from Tesla with 30k miles for $40k. As someone else mentioned, they threw in EAP and Acceleration Boost, which equates to another $8k in value. And of course I essentially have the full warranty till August 2025.

To me, that’s pretty good value so sometimes yi can get a good deal buying used from Tesla.

Reactions: shawndh1
Both my Tesla’s I have purchased were from Tesla used. I think it’s the way to go. They throw in extra year of warranty and include acceleration boost and both had FSD

One was 2018 M3 with 21,000 miles I got for 43,400 right before prices went through the roof

1 month ago I sold that and bought 2020 MS Performance with 19,800 miles with FSD for 64,300. I thought it was a good deal and again has the extra year of warranty. I could tell it was returned on lease and honestly the car is like new. Even no dings or scratches on wheels.

I realize they all are not like that but both times it’s worked out great for me and only way I will buy a Tesla personally

Now as much as I love my new rocket ship, I’m half wishing I got a refreshed MS lol instead so if someone wants to buy my Model S I’d def think about it selling it.

Advantage of buying used locally is you can test for vibrations. 40-50, 80-95 mph vibrations which are common. Crapshoot buying new from Tesla or used from Tesla. My 2021 MSP I bought used from Tesla had the 40-50 one, and my new 2023 MSP has the 80-95 one.