Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MS 90D, 60k miles. $28,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a used 2017 MS 90D with clean Carfax, 1 owner, about 60k miles, no air suspension, no power lift trunk, EAP , MCU1 (computer hardware 2.0) for $28k. Is this a good model S year with these specs? Any pros and cons? Should I upgrade it to mcu2 if I buy this? Any input/help is greatly appreciated.

Ps. I might be able to get the price down a little more.

Attachments

• 72722843065__2A843368-96F7-454B-9865-332C7B868865.jpeg
    72722843065__2A843368-96F7-454B-9865-332C7B868865.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 37
I would personally update to MCU2. That will give you the dashcam/sentry capability. Also important if you have any interest in doing the FSD subscription. While the car in theory has the hardware for FSD, you can find in other threads that noone with MCU1 has actually gotten FSD capability. While Tesla hasn't formally acknowledged, and implied MCU2 is required, this sure seems to be the case.

I'm a little surprised it doesn't have the power rear lift gate. I was thinking by this time that had become standard. If the car doesn't have it, does it have the interior accent lights? When I bought my mid-2016 MS90D, those all came together as part of a premium interior package (not to be confused with getting the Gen2 leather seats. those were a separate package when I got mine).

Having just replaced my MS90D end of last year, I'll tell you that used car prices dropped quite a bit between end of October and end of the year. When I first ordered my new MS LR, Carvana was offering me 26k for my 2016 MS90 (coil suspension, AP1, pano roof, MCU2 upgrade, 80k miles, no accidents/body damage). By the end of December, that was down to about $20,600. So I's likely be looking to get them down on the price a bit, especially given it doesn't have MCU2.

Upvote 0
I'm a little surprised it doesn't have the power rear lift gate. I was thinking by this time that had become standard. If the car doesn't have it, does it have the interior accent lights? When I bought my mid-2016 MS90D, those all came together as part of a premium interior package (not to be confused with getting the Gen2 leather seats. those were a separate package when I got mine).

Power liftgate became standard around May 2017 I believe.

Another price datapoint. I have a 2017 S75D with 45K miles, MCU2, FSD with HW3, upgraded cameras, coil suspension, power liftgate. Tesla quoted me only $21k for a trade-in and Carvana/CarMax were around $25k as of a few months ago.

Upvote 0

Another price datapoint. I have a 2017 S75D with 45K miles, MCU2, FSD with HW3, upgraded cameras, coil suspension, power liftgate. Tesla quoted me only $21k for a trade-in and Carvana/CarMax were around $25k as of a few months ago.
Price are dropping, I have the same but non D version 62K, Tesla quoted 17K few months ago, Carvana quoted 19k recently. At this price and with FUSC, I may as well keeping it until it dies.

Upvote 0
I would personally update to MCU2. That will give you the dashcam/sentry capability. Also important if you have any interest in doing the FSD subscription. While the car in theory has the hardware for FSD, you can find in other threads that noone with MCU1 has actually gotten FSD capability. While Tesla hasn't formally acknowledged, and implied MCU2 is required, this sure seems to be the case.

Having just replaced my MS90D end of last year, I'll tell you that used car prices dropped quite a bit between end of October and end of the year. When I first ordered my new MS LR, Carvana was offering me 26k for my 2016 MS90 (coil suspension, AP1, pano roof, MCU2 upgrade, 80k miles, no accidents/body damage). By the end of December, that was down to about $20,600. So I's likely be looking to get them down on the price a bit, especially given it doesn't have MCU2.
Thank you for your input. The vehicle was first purchased/registered in 04/17/2017. MCU2 upgrade seems like a good idea. Would i need to have the cameras and/or computer upgraded too if I only do MCU2 upgrade?

Upvote 0

The vehicle was first purchased/registered in 04/17/2017 therefore maybe why no power liftgate. Prices you indicated are for trade-ins right? I assume retail selling prices should be (a lot) higher.

Upvote 0
The vehicle was first purchased/registered in 04/17/2017 therefore maybe why no power liftgate. Prices you indicated are for trade-ins right? I assume retail selling prices should be (a lot) higher.
The prices which I quoted were for people like Carvana or KBB dealers buying my car. That's likely what you mean when you say "trade in", but even some of these sources will potentially give you a little higher value if you are truly doing a trade-in through them, so they get some profit on vehicle sale to you, versus my case where I sold it outright.

To illustrate the drop over the latter part of 2023, my first Carvana quote on 10/21/23 was $25,700 (+1,799 if trade-in, not straight purchase from me). By Nov 7, 23 Carvana offer dropped to $24,400, and by end of the year was $20,600. The on-line instant offer via KBB around year end was a little lower, but I had 3 KBB dealers contact me about my car, and ultimately sold to one of them for $21k after some negotiating. I know originally that dealer immediately put my car up for sale at around $26k, but I believe they decided after a few days to sell it via auction, so not sure what they ultimately got out of it. I've not tracked what prices have done in the past 3 weeks since I ended up selling my car.

Regarding the power lift gate, it was part of a premium interior package. My original sales paperwork just lists the package, doesn't detail all it included. I did a quick search and here is reference from on on-line article via Consumer reports from when the first "facelift" was announced in April 2016.

"A new Premium Upgrade Package ($3,000) bundles the HEPA air filter system, LED turn signals, LED fog lights, power liftgate, Nappa leather armrests, LED ambient interior light, and lighted door handles."

So you if you can access the car, you may want to check on a few of those items. I think the biggies which might be of importance to you is are the power liftgate, fog lamps, and HEPA filter, but those are all personal preferences. Would seem the original owner didn't view them worth the $3k which I believe was still the price for the package in early 2017 (that's what my June 2016 sales docs show).

Good luck with your decision. It was a tough decision for me to replace my 2016 MS90D for a new 2023 MS LR, but the Tesla offer to transfer my free supercharger to new car in Q4 2023 tipped me over the edge (yeah, I realize that's more emotional that probably hard financial value of free supercharging, but I'm not always 100% perfectly logical in all my life choices!).

Upvote 0