Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Used MX Out of State - Tennessee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in TN and recently paid a $100 deposit for a vehicle in Orlando. I was planning to fly there and drive it back home. This is to the save the $2000 delivery fee.

My Delivery Advisor says I cannot do that. He mentioned about TN DMV laws,unique to Tesla,that if a vehicle will be registered in TN, it has to be bought in TN. I tried looking for such a law but do not find it. I am told NY, Mass and TN are the only states that have this law.

I think this in incorrect but would like to know from you. Anyone in TN bought out of state?

Thanks
Vamshi A

I am in TN and recently paid a $100 deposit for a vehicle in Orlando. I was planning to fly there and drive it back home. This is to the save the $2000 delivery fee.

My Delivery Advisor says I cannot do that. He mentioned about TN DMV laws,unique to Tesla,that if a vehicle will be registered in TN, it has to be bought in TN. I tried looking for such a law but do not find it. I am told NY, Mass and TN are the only states that have this law.

I think this in incorrect but would like to know from you. Anyone in TN bought out of state?

Thanks
Vamshi A
That doesn't make sense. You buy any car from any state. You will just be responsible for the sales taxes in the state in which you register.

Reactions: Akikiki
I visited my DMV and also searched online. DMV says there are no special rules/laws for Tesla. This is what they said - "it is similar to any other vehicle you buy out of state"

I pressed my OA about sharing links/documenting his claims. Here is what he said.

"To summarized it up for you, it is because some states like TN, TX, NY, MA, do not consider Tesla as a dealer, hence there are complications with registering the vehicle and title issues for customer taking delivery out of state and registering their vehicle in TN.

If you are a TN registrant, you must take delivery in TN. There is no way around this for the moment for Used Tesla Deliveries.

We can proceed with the order, or we can cancel the order and have you look for a Used Tesla that is ALREADY in TN. Please let me know"

I think there were complexities internally for Tesla processing out of state buyers and they are charging $2K to reduce/eliminate any issues that might arise. I could be wrong but I have no other explanation. Charging $2K for their internal issues does not seem right. I do not want to give up on a good vehicle so agreed to pay the $2K

Thanks