Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Used - Refusal Rights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a used 100D Model X (2017) from the Tesla website. I paid the $100 non-refundable deposit and I've done all the pre-delivery paperwork. No delivery date set yet as the car has to ship to a nearby delivery center from a location further away. I'm being charged $1000 for the shipping. Naturally, I haven't seen the car yet. What are my refusal options if, say, I get into the car and it smells like someone smoked in it or the seats are badly torn or worn or something else is amiss and I just don't want the vehicle? I know I wouldn't get the $100 back but will I get charged the $1000 for shipping? Could I apply the $100 toward a new Y instead (or any other model, for that matter) if I decided I'd rather have that model at that point?

These details should be spelled out in your order agreement when you placed the order. Typically the $100 order fee is non-refundable, including towards a different car. Likewise typically the shipping fee is non-refundable, including towards a different car. In both cases Tesla made good faith effort to process the order you placed. They are out the order processing fee as well as the shipping fees. It’s reasonable to except that would not foot the bill or people would be doing this all the time. This varies from state to state and there is some discretion with Tesla reps. Considering the varied and unpredictable condition of “used” Tesla direct sales, sometimes quite badly, it’s usually best to only buy cars in your area where shipping is not required.

https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no

These details should be spelled out in your order agreement when you placed the order. Typically the $100 order fee is non-refundable, including towards a different car. Likewise typically the shipping fee is non-refundable, including towards a different car. In both cases Tesla made good faith effort to process the order you placed. They are out the order processing fee as well as the shipping fees. It’s reasonable to except that would not foot the bill or people would be doing this all the time. This varies from state to state and there is some discretion with Tesla reps. Considering the varied and unpredictable condition of “used” Tesla direct sales, sometimes quite badly, it’s usually best to only buy cars in your area where shipping is not required.

https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no
My order agreement only mentions the order fee being surrendered, should I cancel. In fact, "transportation" is covered within that fee. Here's what it says,
"You acknowledge that the Order Fee is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages we have incurred or may incur in transporting, remarketing, and reselling the Vehicle, costs which are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine."

I can live with the loss of $100 but I don't want to willingly give up $1k if they've shipped me a hunk of junk. And why couldn't they sell it from the delivery center it's being transported to? It's not like they're going to return it back to where it came from.

I am picking up my car tomorrow afternoon, Model X Used. I think we may have purchased around the same time. My X is coming in from New York to North Carolina. I have been told by my delivery team and by other buyers that after my personal inspection, that I can refuse delivery for any reason and only have to surrender the $100 Order Fee. I will not be charged for the transportation of the car to NC unless I purchase the vehicle.

Additionally, the car I purchased was previously in NC, sold to someone in NY, and was refused as that buyer found a better deal on another car and switched orders. I purchased the car and will be charged for transportation back to the cars previous home if I chose to take possession.

My order agreement only mentions the order fee being surrendered, should I cancel. In fact, "transportation" is covered within that fee. Here's what it says,
"You acknowledge that the Order Fee is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages we have incurred or may incur in transporting, remarketing, and reselling the Vehicle, costs which are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine."

I can live with the loss of $100 but I don't want to willingly give up $1k if they've shipped me a hunk of junk. And why couldn't they sell it from the delivery center it's being transported to? It's not like they're going to return it back to where it came from.

• Informative
Reactions: bhorn

You'll need to ask to be sure, but I would say it depends on the circumstances of the issue you are complaining about. If it was represented in the sale pictures, you don't really have a case. If they offer to fix it or give you a due bill to have it fixed after purchase and you still refuse, you don't really have a case.

I was very close to refusing delivery after driving 5 hours to pick mine up because of a warranty discrepancy that I tried to resolve way in advance. It all worked out in the end, but that was absolutely a problem on their end that made the listed deal inaccurate. So I would have expected to not be responsible for the delivery fee on that issue. There were several issues that I noted during the delivery inspection, and in the first week of driving. I made a list and set up an appointment in the app to get service. So far so good. Hoping to get it back this weekend.

I am picking up my car tomorrow afternoon, Model X Used. I think we may have purchased around the same time. My X is coming in from New York to North Carolina. I have been told by my delivery team and by other buyers that after my personal inspection, that I can refuse delivery for any reason and only have to surrender the $100 Order Fee. I will not be charged for the transportation of the car to NC unless I purchase the vehicle.

Additionally, the car I purchased was previously in NC, sold to someone in NY, and was refused as that buyer found a better deal on another car and switched orders. I purchased the car and will be charged for transportation back to the cars previous home if I chose to take possession.
That's good news. incidentally, my car is also coming from NY.

That's good news. incidentally, my car is also coming from NY.

kentucky3,

my car was ready early, the car was better than my pictures, there was some trim issues (loose), but the car was awesome. Some of the seats needed to be cleaned more, but the car overall was amazing. The only problem I had was that the 30 day free premium was not attached to the car and I need to work with my sales advisor to get this fixed (which will have to wait until Monday). I ordered on the 14th and picked up on the 22nd, pretty good turn around for shipping and state inspection.

I wish you luck.

kentucky3,

my car was ready early, the car was better than my pictures, there was some trim issues (loose), but the car was awesome. Some of the seats needed to be cleaned more, but the car overall was amazing. The only problem I had was that the 30 day free premium was not attached to the car and I need to work with my sales advisor to get this fixed (which will have to wait until Monday). I ordered on the 14th and picked up on the 22nd, pretty good turn around for shipping and state inspection.

I wish you luck.
Congratulations! My paperwork arrived in my account tonight. Good news: the shipping was $500, instead of the $1000 I was originally quoted. I assume I’ll take delivery some time next week. The pictures that were taken in NY for the listing were horrible; in fact, they were the worst I’ve ever seen for any of the used Tesla listings. The white car looked yellow and none of the other pics are very well defined due to a bad camera and crappy lighting. I’m either going to be pleasantly surprised or, well...UNpleasantly surprised. Stay tuned...

Reactions: Akikiki
Congratulations! My paperwork arrived in my account tonight. Good news: the shipping was $500, instead of the $1000 I was originally quoted. I assume I’ll take delivery some time next week. The pictures that were taken in NY for the listing were horrible; in fact, they were the worst I’ve ever seen for any of the used Tesla listings. The white car looked yellow and none of the other pics are very well defined due to a bad camera and crappy lighting. I’m either going to be pleasantly surprised or, well...UNpleasantly surprised. Stay tuned...

Glad to hear the shipping was half. Hope it turns out for you. The horrible photos is consistent with most of the other ones I’ve seen. Keep in mind the car could possible look bad when you see it. The important thing is to not focus of any lack of wash or vacuum. Something you can early clean up yourself. The import thing is dents, scratches, curb rash on wheels, etc. Things that aren’t covered by the used warranty. Things like loose panels, system issues, etc. They way seem like no go issues but if they’re covered by warranty and you got a good deal then any short term headache of the hassle of dealing with get them fixed under warranty is prob worth it.

In my case even though I looked at used Tesla cars, once they dropped the CPO refurbishment and afternoon seeing story after story after story it just wasn’t worth it. I wanted a better condition car, the latest autopilot HW, and a full warranty, especially since I would get the full 4 years due to my low mileage.

Best of luck. Let us know how everything turns out and all the details with photos.

As an analytical manager I also prefer as much information as I can get my hands on.

Reactions: Akikiki

On what date did you pull the trigger?

Excellent on shipping costs, mine was the same, it is interesting to hear others say their pictures where not good from NY, my pictures where super sharp and I was able to download them from the Amazon link and zoom in really well to see very good detail around the car. I wish they would have taken more pictures as there where at least three spots that there were small issues that were not in the pictures that I saw. Nothing that would dissuade me from my purchase.

I did find that one of my 2nd row seats doesn’t work correctly, so I will need to get that repaired. Everything else is amazing.

Excellent on shipping costs, mine was the same, it is interesting to hear others say their pictures where not good from NY, my pictures where super sharp and I was able to download them from the Amazon link and zoom in really well to see very good detail around the car. I wish they would have taken more pictures as there where at least three spots that there were small issues that were not in the pictures that I saw. Nothing that would dissuade me from my purchase.

I did find that one of my 2nd row seats doesn’t work correctly, so I will need to get that repaired. Everything else is amazing.
Now the wait intensifies for me...

On 30 March 2013, I found a new orphaned S 60 battery in Pearl White at our local one person manned service center. There was by our best count about 10 Tesla's in the state back then. I had had a deposit in since Oct of '12. In those days we waited for an invite to order the car and another 4 months for the car to be built and delivered. There were no used Teslas except Roadsters. Our SC did not have its dealer's license. There were no test drives, no one to talk to about the cars or choices. Tesla was building about 100 cars a week. I had sit in a Tesla S back in Jan '13, - no test drive. No fob, so could not even put it in drive.

The next day, the end of 1QTR 2013, I drove that S home. Bought it over the phone from HQ CA. Had not even driven it. Had no idea what the acceleration would be on a standard S. When I got off the city streets and on to the interstate I slowed to a crawl. I stomped the go pedal for the first time. My friend in the passenger seat grabbed the center arm rest and dash at the same time. I heard a scream and realized it was me and the car jumped from 15 mph to 120 in about 12 seconds. Remember please, it was a 60, not a P85+. I knew that moment that I had found something merely wonderful. Regardless of which year, which model or performance, I think you will be amazed.

On 30 March 2013, I found a new orphaned S 60 battery in Pearl White at our local one person manned service center. There was by our best count about 10 Tesla's in the state back then. I had had a deposit in since Oct of '12. In those days we waited for an invite to order the car and another 4 months for the car to be built and delivered. There were no used Teslas except Roadsters. Our SC did not have its dealer's license. There were no test drives, no one to talk to about the cars or choices. Tesla was building about 100 cars a week. I had sit in a Tesla S back in Jan '13, - no test drive. No fob, so could not even put it in drive.

The next day, the end of 1QTR 2013, I drove that S home. Bought it over the phone from HQ CA. Had not even driven it. Had no idea what the acceleration would be on a standard S. When I got off the city streets and on to the interstate I slowed to a crawl. I stomped the go pedal for the first time. My friend in the passenger seat grabbed the center arm rest and dash at the same time. I heard a scream and realized it was me and the car jumped from 15 mph to 120 in about 12 seconds. Remember please, it was a 60, not a P85+. I knew that moment that I had found something merely wonderful. Regardless of which year, which model or performance, I think you will be amazed.
I was a “2-year wait” guy for my Model 3. The worst part was the 3 weeks from VIN issuance to delivery day. It was all well worth it. Like then, I’m using the time to educate myself on the nuances of the vehicle.