Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at used Model X’s, looking for opinions / advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Advice - do NOT buy a Tesla Model X. They are complicated. They will require service and Telsa is weird and unpredictable when it comes to service. Sometimes Tesla is remarkably kind, sometimes they are nonsensical and sometimes just plain mean.

We bought a Tesla Model X, used. The previous owner's information was still in the car. She had a fight with Tesla over the front axle shudder problem (quoted her ten+ hours for repair, which makes no sense to me) and she dumped it. The dealer dumped on Manheim. We bought it at auction. She removed the vehicle from her app. Now Tesla will not add it to our app. The net result of this is that Tesla will not service the X and will not even sell me parts for the car.

Tesla is insisting that only the original owner, or Manheim can buy parts, or repair the car. This probably could be sorted if we took the vehicle out of our business partnership (that includes a dealership) and registered it personally. Because of Georgia law, that would cost about $4,000 (extra 7.5% if a private party sale). They also want a paper copy of my business card, which I've never had printed because who does cards these days?

There is no point in threatening legal action. The "right to repair" laws are mostly written to limit the responsibility of the manufacturers and evade federal anti-trust legislation. I'm just stock with a broken car. Wanna buy it?

If you do buy a Tesla, then pay the extra and buy from Tesla. They control the app, which is the exclusive gateway to service that you will need.

Last edited:
Advice - do NOT buy a Tesla Model X. Tesla is insisting that only the original owner, or Manheim can buy parts, or repair the car. [...] This probably could be sorted if we took the vehicle out of our business partnership (that includes a dealership) [...] I'm just stock with a broken car. Wanna buy it?
This generated by an AI? It seems like nonsense, starts with 'don't buy' and ends with an offer to buy and in the middle explains there is nothing you can do followed by exactly what you could do to fix your situation and then back to putting all your problems on Tesla.

Seems like trolling.

Advice - do NOT buy a Tesla Model X. They are complicated. They will require service and Telsa is weird and unpredictable when it comes to service. Sometimes Tesla is remarkably kind, sometimes they are nonsensical and sometimes just plain mean.

We bought a Tesla Model X, used. The previous owner's information was still in the car. She had a fight with Tesla over the front axle shudder problem (quoted her ten+ hours for repair, which makes no sense to me) and she dumped it. The dealer dumped on Manheim. We bought it at auction. She removed the vehicle from her app. Now Tesla will not add it to our app. The net result of this is that Tesla will not service the X and will not even sell me parts for the car.

There is no point in threatening legal action. The "right to repair" laws are mostly written to limit the responsibility of the manufacturers and evade federal anti-trust legislation.

This generated by an AI? It seems like nonsense, starts with 'don't buy' and ends with an offer to buy and in the middle explains there is nothing you can do followed by exactly what you could do to fix your situation and then back to putting all your problems on Tesla.

Seems like trolling.
Not trolling ... frustration.

The previous owner couldn't get (a relatively simple) repair done by Tesla. She dumped the vehicle for a significant loss. I bought that same vehicle. Tesla will not repair it, nor sell parts. Telsa demands two solutions, neither of which makes sense. Re-register the vehicle to a private party at a cost of $4,000+ in additional taxes, or somehow get the auction facility to repair the Tesla (they've never owned it).

The previous owner gave up and dumped the vehicle. ... now understand why she made that choice.

The advice to NOT BUY A USED MODEL X seems solid ... lots of headaches.

.... and this was a request for repairs at my expense. Tesla just does not like anyone buying from a third-party.

Last edited:
Pre-Raven model X’s do not have one pedal driving, so no 2017 or 2018 has one pedal driving. It doesn’t particularly bother me to have to use the brake for the last 5 mph.

In fairness, there were no cars that had the one pedal driving to a stop, as you're speaking of, at that time. Tesla only used induction motors, rather than permanent magnet motors, so brakes had to be applied to get you all the way to a stop. And, everybody called what they did have one pedal driving. In spite of the fact that you had to use the brake for that last five or six miles an hour.

So, those of us who've been around a long time, still think of that as one pedal driving. We'll make an effort to catch up with the times!

This is my first post in about 2 years. I have come to determine that for me, a Tesla MX is the only car I will ever own going forward (unless something changes drastically in the future). I like mine that much. I have an Oct 2016 MX P100DL with Enhanced Autopilot which I use very frequently. I have 101K miles on it, and so far, the battery has been great. Hoping I can get the full 500K miles on it! I still have MCU-1, but I do have unlimited premium connectivity and the unlimited free supercharging, so I think I'm getting my money's worth out of this car. I enjoy it tremendously. Recently I read about recurring suspension issues, and I have to report that I had one myself. At around 85K or 90K miles, my right rear control arm broke in two. I have not hit any serious potholes or other driving hazards, so this had to be either be a) manufacturing defect where there was a hairline crack coming out of the mold, or b) an engineering design flaw where the car was designed with weaker components than it required based on weight and torque. Tesla initially denied my claim that this should be covered under my (at that time) extended warranty, but when I pressed them, they went back to the mother ship for permission, and I was granted this repair under full warranty which turned out to be over $6K had I been required to pay for it. Since my extended warranty expired (at 97K), I haven't had any annoying issues with the car that I experienced while it was under warranty.

For me, the Model X is the finest car ever produced. Nothing else compares to it's combination of utility, range, price, handling, ride and all around enjoyment.
Like any cars, owning one after the warranty has expired, puts you at risk of doing repairs/maintenance out of your own pocket. Even though they will probably need far less repairs than an equilivent ICE vehicle, you can most assuradly expect that from time to time you will need to do repairs. They are super reliable, but not perpetual motion machines.
Due to tax credits, I tend to buy another one every two years. The ability to take the Federal/State/Utility rebates plus instant write offs of the purchase price, make this an economic no-brainer for those with a profitable business.
At current prices, both new and used Model X can offer good value. They give an awsome driving experience and miles of pleasure.

An update to my previous post. My dealer and I are friends, so we created a Bill of Sale that matched Tesla's expectations. The previous owner of the X was also super-kind and contacted Tesla. When we re-arranged our sales agreement and sent it in Tesla approved the transfer INSTANTLY. When I say instantly, it was instant, like as soon as the screen refreshed.

Went to the Service request and input the axle (CV Joint) noise at higher ride heights and acceleration per SB-29-31-001 w/ Toolbox 6013200. Again, an instant reply with an estimate to perform Reroute Main Front Body Harness 0.8 at $200 per hour, and 1.88 hours to inspect the front suspension. $555.43 to fix nothing. ... still very disappointed.

Went to the Service request and input the axle (CV Joint) noise at higher ride heights and acceleration per SB-29-31-001 w/ Toolbox 6013200. Again, an instant reply with an estimate to perform Reroute Main Front Body Harness 0.8 at $200 per hour, and 1.88 hours to inspect the front suspension. $555.43 to fix nothing. ... still very disappointed.
What was the harness reroute for? Get used to being charged lots to fix nothing. This is the tesla way and it’s unfortunately going to ruin the brand.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Lifetime of FSL is for the original owner, not in perpetuity of the vehicle. Tesla allows that feature to be transfered once, by the original owner who paid them for the car. If original owner sell or trades in their Tesla with FSL to a dealership, that counts as the first sale and transfers. If that dealership resells the vehicle, then FSL will not transfer again.

Most people sell their cars for a reason. Sometimes because of changes in situations, or because the car has an issue they do not want to deal with. Buying any used car will carry those risks.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Thank you for all the replies. I am still looking and shopping. I have been trying to find a 2017+ P100D or 100D all over the state that has what I am looking for.

I stumbled across a 2016 P90D that caught my attention.

This car appears to have MCU2 and FSD computer upgraded. I also feel believe, but haven’t been able to confirm yet, that the battery has probably been replaced as charge at 100% is over 270 miles.

I have read many things that suggest to stay away from the 2016’s but I am considering this car and wondering what people think.

With AP computer and MCU upgraded, is there any major difference between this car and a 2017 or 2018?

I could probably purchase this car and an xcare warranty for around $5k less than the closest comparable 2017. In that case is it worth it or is a 2017+ that much better?

An update to my previous post. My dealer and I are friends, so we created a Bill of Sale that matched Tesla's expectations. The previous owner of the X was also super-kind and contacted Tesla. When we re-arranged our sales agreement and sent it in Tesla approved the transfer INSTANTLY. When I say instantly, it was instant, like as soon as the screen refreshed.

Maybe get an Xcare warranty and drive it to the ground?

Thank you for all the replies. I am still looking and shopping. I have been trying to find a 2017+ P100D or 100D all over the state that has what I am looking for.

This car appears to have MCU2 and FSD computer upgraded. I also feel believe, but haven’t been able to confirm yet, that the battery has probably been replaced as charge at 100% is over 270 miles.

I have read many things that suggest to stay away from the 2016’s but I am considering this car and wondering what people think.

With AP computer and MCU upgraded, is there any major difference between this car and a 2017 or 2018?

I could probably purchase this car and an xcare warranty for around $5k less than the closest comparable 2017. In that case is it worth it or is a 2017+ that much better?

I did not think any 2016 has the capacity for full self-driving. Does it have the cameras on the fender Wells and b pillars? You can put the new MCU into the older cars, as I did with my older model S. But again, I'm pretty certain that's AP1 only. Still a good system for the highway! Just not as good as the new.

If you look behind the front right tire turning the wheel hard to the left so you can see in there, helps to put the suspension on high as well, you can see the battery sticker. Unless Tesla service scraped it off when working on it, as they did with my model s. That will tell you what battery is in it.

For my part I would definitely go with a machine capable of full self driving. Resale value alone will probably repay if you ever do sell it. I love my 2018 X, also had a loaner for an extended time period that was a 2017. Loved it as well. The 2016's are known to be rife with problems. My local Tesla service center, with which I have a good relationship, warned me so strongly against the 2016 x, when I told them I was looking to buy one, that I finally relented and went with the later version. I am so glad I did! I strongly suggest you go with at least a 2017, probably a 2018. Tesla did a lot of small upgrades in that time, and it's well worth it.

Also, you can buy third party anywhere in the US and have it shipped for easily under a $1,000. Usually the buyer will split that cost with you as well. You can have a service center do an inspection on the vehicle to assure there are no major problems before making the purchase. It only cost me, if I recall correctly, less than $200 and gave me a lot of piece of mind. Doing that allowed me to purchase a vehicle out of my area for much less money than I would have if I had to purchase it here where Tesla's are much rarer. Also opened up my options dramatically.

• Disagree
Reactions: Super_Popular
Looking at used Model X’s. Looking for opinions / advice

Hello, my BMW i3 that I have had for years was totaled and instead of replacing it with another i3 I want to get a Model X so that we can use it as a family car over our current ICE vehicle.

I am looking at a few 2017’s (90D, 100D and P100D) and a 2018 100D.

The 2017’s are all under 60k miles and the 2018 is just under 70k miles.

There is about a $8k price difference between the 2018 and the cheapest 2017.

I know the 2018 has MCU2 but other than that are there major reasons to lean that way or would you lean towards cheaper / lower miles.
I just bought a used 2019 Raven MX from Tesla (Xmas gift from wife). I told her I wanted Raven 2019+ for the upgrades, 1 pedal, better suspension, (adaptive & software updatable), new powertrain, increased range, faster MCU, HW3, improved seats, smoother acceleration, and I am sure I missed a bunch.

I was planning on 100D for the price, but after I saw what the Raven had it was worth it. My only must-haves were: Raven, a white interior, and 6 seats. Other than that it's your money spend it however you want. Enjoy the MX it's a fun car.

No, 2020 or higher, cannot afford it then save your money and wait. You will thank me.
I recently got one of the 2016 Founder's Edition MX P90Ds and it was pretty cheap (under $40k and 70K), it had ceramic over PPF and was in perfect condition and included a set of wheels with snow tires. I get that the old cars don't have FSD HW, but it's kinda nice not to worry about the cabin camera or the headlight's or wiper's AI not working. Those and the AutoPilot are finished and will never change w/ updates and I mostly use FSD on the highway anyway. The Supercharging is a little slow, but it's free for life so I don't have to stress that it's 50¢/kWh until 11 pm when it drops to a dime. Yes I don't get the 250kW peak but I was using free public 50kW chargers on my TM3, now THAT'S slow. And I don't have a permanent magnet motor so I can't use one pedal driving to a stop or get 300 miles on a charge
Oh, did they lower that advertised range?

Really the only thing I miss is AP stopping at red lights or stop signs when I'm not following someone and the chime when the light turns green.

Is there something that I missed? We really have been loving this car other than things can drop to the floor that you won't see until you stop.

Reactions: henderrj

I have a 2016 Model X P90D Ludicrous with FSD Beta. It's awesome if you ignore the issues with warranty expiring and supercharging speed. Note that only Xs built after October 2016 have the cameras needed for FSD Beta. You will also need MCU2 (infotainment upgrade). Biggest drawback with a 2016 is that the battery and motors warranty are about to expire later this year. Also the range is not enough, the 2nd row doesn't fold flat, and the supercharging speed on road trips is too slow (compared to Model Y and newer X). Also you need to use the brake pedal to bring the car to a complete stop EVERY SINGLE TIME. But the pros/benefits are too numerous to mention so I love the P90D X. If I was buying today, I'd get a 2019 Raven X Performance to get battery/motors warranty until 2027, 1-pedal driving to a complete stop, and slightly improved suspension. But I wouldn't get the 2019 Long Range X, because I want the large rear motor with 0-60 under 4 seconds. You can get that with the 2016 P90D.

Regarding your other comments :
1) Some differences between late-2016 and 2018: The 2016 P90D has gloss-black seatbacks, alcantara dash, active spoiler, and performance seats with piping that seem more comfortable to me than the 2018 seats. But the 2018 has longer warranty, and 2nd row folds flat (in 5 and 7 seater).

2) You can't get an Xcare extended warranty for battery and motors on a 2016 Tesla anymore, that was discontinued last week.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
I have a 2016 Model X P90D Ludicrous with FSD Beta. It's awesome if you ignore the issues with warranty expiring and supercharging speed. Note that only Xs built after October 2016 have the cameras needed for FSD Beta. You will also need MCU2 (infotainment upgrade). Biggest drawback with a 2016 is that the battery and motors warranty are about to expire later this year. Also the range is not enough, the 2nd row doesn't fold flat, and the supercharging speed on road trips is too slow (compared to Model Y and newer X). Also you need to use the brake pedal to bring the car to a complete stop EVERY SINGLE TIME. But the pros/benefits are too numerous to mention so I love the P90D X. If I was buying today, I'd get a 2019 Raven X Performance to get battery/motors warranty until 2027, 1-pedal driving to a complete stop, and slightly improved suspension. But I wouldn't get the 2019 Long Range X, because I want the large rear motor with 0-60 under 4 seconds. You can get that with the 2016 P90D.

Regarding your other comments :
1) Some differences between late-2016 and 2018: The 2016 P90D has gloss-black seatbacks, alcantara dash, active spoiler, and performance seats with piping that seem more comfortable to me than the 2018 seats. But the 2018 has longer warranty, and 2nd row folds flat (in 5 and 7 seater).

2) You can't get an Xcare extended warranty for battery and motors on a 2016 Tesla anymore, that was discontinued last week.

Good luck.

How much would you pay to upgrade to a refreshed Model X (used and/or new)?