Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They may be just talking about fat storage in liver, which can happen from carbohydrate (specifically fructose).

De novo lipogenesis however doesn't really happen. Again unless you have an extreme diet.

How are carbohydrates converted into fat deposits?

Big picture: whatever you eat will get stored into fat if you eat too much.
But fat storage in liver is the starting point for diabetes. It leads to insulin resistance in the liver, which pumps out more glucose even when insulin level is high, prompting pancreas to increase insulin even more etc.

Reactions: Swampgator
But fat storage in liver is the starting point for diabetes. It leads to insulin resistance in the liver, which pumps out more glucose even when insulin level is high, prompting pancreas to increase insulin even more etc.

Too much sugar (e.g too much fructose) is definitely a real problem in the liver. However it hasn't been shown to be the cause of diabetes. Being overweight has.

And that's different from too many carbs. Outside of sugar, most carbohydrate breaks down into glucose, which is not an issue in the liver I believe.

O.T.

I tried a Beyond Burger at Carl's Jr. It tasted like a turkey burger. Not great.

I tried Beyond Tacos at Del Taco. The Beyond Meat is so seasoned can't tell what meat it is. So taste just as good as beef Del Taco's.

Tasted Impossible Burger at Fat Burger. $3.70 premium to substitute for beef. Taste like public school cafeteria beef patty. On the one hand overpriced for the taste you get but on the other hand ZERO cholesterol. So I give it a thumbs up.
You do realize that exogenous cholesterol intake and your own cholesterol levels are completely unrelated? There is no correlation.
Eat all of the eggs and meat you want. :D

• Disagree
Reactions: tander and Gen3
Not true. If you already have elevated levels additional intake may not raise your levels, but if you have low levels additional intake may raise your levels.
Why You Should No Longer Worry About Cholesterol in Food – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

There is no causal link between cholesterol intake and heart disease.
While some studies do show an increase in some lipid parameters from exogenous intake, the vast majority show improvements in HDL/LDL ratios and well as TG/HDL ratios when diets high in cholesterol and saturated fat are compared to diets low in fat and cholesterol. And those two markers are much more important than total cholesterol levels. Hence there is no need to worry about cholesterol content of a burger, which is made from animal meat.
I am much more concerned about the beyond meat recipe which uses artificial processed oils like rapeseed oil. These are not good for human health. Whole foods like meat and vegetables are natural, time tested human foods. Beyond Meat is highly processed junk meant for vegans and people falsely worried about things like dietary fat and cholesterol. Oh, and for people worried that cow farts are going to kill the planet.:rolleyes:

Carb intake doesn't cause diabetes.
That is a ridiculous assertion.
Insulin resistance leads to type 2 diabetes. Insulin resistance occurs from high, sustained insulin levels. This is how resistance works. High insulin levels are much more likely to occur from high carbohydrate intake. Although protein raises insulin levels as well, the AUC is much smaller in response to protein as in response to carbohydrate intake.

You will never see a type 2 diabetic human carnivore.

Too much sugar (e.g too much fructose) is definitely a real problem in the liver. However it hasn't been shown to be the cause of diabetes. Being overweight has.

And that's different from too many carbs. Outside of sugar, most carbohydrate breaks down into glucose, which is not an issue in the liver I believe.
Being overweight has NOT been shown to CAUSE type 2 diabetes. They are associated. This is like saying driving a Tesla causes a high income.
High incomes and Tesla ownership are associated. Big difference in correlation vs causation.

Being overweight has NOT been shown to CAUSE type 2 diabetes. They are associated. This is like saying driving a Tesla causes a high income.
High incomes and Tesla ownership are associated. Big difference in correlation vs causation.
Being overweight causes diabetes - BUT - it is not the way we normally understand it. Everyone has a Personal Fat Tolerance level. So, I got diabetes when my BMI was just 24 (20 to 25 being "normal"). Someone else may get it when it is 35 or 45. Basically some handle fat better than others. If the fat gets into liver & pancreas, then we get diabetes. If it is just sub-cutaneous, its ok.

That is a ridiculous assertion.
Insulin resistance leads to type 2 diabetes. Insulin resistance occurs from high, sustained insulin levels. This is how resistance works. High insulin levels are much more likely to occur from high carbohydrate intake. Although protein raises insulin levels as well, the AUC is much smaller in response to protein as in response to carbohydrate intake.

You will never see a type 2 diabetic human carnivore.

There has never been any clear evidence that carbohydrate intake causes diabetes.

If there was, then there wouldn't have to be intelligent researches wasting time debating low-carb fanatics about it.

You can look up risk factors for getting insulin resistance / diabetes (type 2) and they do not include high carb intake. Ridiculous. Insulin rising doesn't mean it stays high. Go out and exercises.
Exercise does not cause weight loss long term.
You can do the research yourself. FWIW, I am Board certified in Nutrition Support. I can send you any references you want. But I doubt you would listen. You go ahead and keep eating your fake meat. ;)

Being overweight causes diabetes - BUT - it is not the way we normally understand it. Everyone has a Personal Fat Tolerance level. So, I got diabetes when my BMI was just 24 (20 to 25 being "normal"). Someone else may get it when it is 35 or 45. Basically some handle fat better than others. If the fat gets into liver & pancreas, then we get diabetes. If it is just sub-cutaneous, its ok.
Show me one study that proves a CAUSAL link between weight and diabetes. You can't.

I've linked a lot of studies here.

People get diabetes when they put on weight and diabetes can go into remission when they lose weight.

Ectopic Fat and Reversing Type 2 Diabetes : diabetes
This is not logical thinking. It comes from your stubborn belief that weight gain is caused by a caloric imbalance. Intake vs expenditure. This is not the cause of weight gain. The weight gain is caused by elevated insulin levels. Insulin is a storage hormone. Look at the weight of a type 1 diabetic. They are always thin. Lack of insulin means they cannot store any fat. Diabetes is a hormonal condition. Obesity is also a hormonal condition. It comes from too much insulin that eventually leads to insulin resistance and then weight gain.

Giving a diabetic (or non diabetic) insulin CAUSES weight gain. This is well know in the medical community. Insulin causes weight gain. Period.
Weight does not magically cause diabetes. Obesity is a symptom of insulin resistance. Insulin resistance leads to diabetes type 2.

Why You Should No Longer Worry About Cholesterol in Food – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

There is no causal link between cholesterol intake and heart disease.
While some studies do show an increase in some lipid parameters from exogenous intake, the vast majority show improvements in HDL/LDL ratios and well as TG/HDL ratios when diets high in cholesterol and saturated fat are compared to diets low in fat and cholesterol. And those two markers are much more important than total cholesterol levels. Hence there is no need to worry about cholesterol content of a burger, which is made from animal meat.

Reactions: tander