Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bypassing the Tesla sound system almost completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm used to much better sound systems in my car, and since it's a 2 year wait for the Y (that I'd bother spending a lot on) or the R1S, I'm going to have to solve the problem of crappy sound in the SR+ and thought I'd ask you guys about a couple of ideas I have. I'm also running on almost no knowledge of the stock system, whether or not I can pick up signals at line level or need to convert from each speaker, and whether the computer can sense the speaker loads have been disconnected or not. Preferably I'd want the system to be transparent to the user such that it functions the same as now, but if not, a dedicated control system built into the console directly under the screen is not out of the question.

Here goes:

(1) Minimally invasive. It would tap, either through wired or wireless connections into the rear door speakers and generate a line-level signal (front doors if the rears have had too much processing done to the signal). This signal would be fed into a speaker array mounted to the underside of the metal crossmember behind the rear seats (use speaker mounts if they are empty, apart from the sub). It would include the amp, a couple of capable mid-range speakers and a free-air sub of minimal height. A system like this could seriously bolster the sound without a huge amount of work or intrusion into the boot.

(2) Hybrid. Replace all stock speakers with something better and for any tweeters found not to be working, built a tiny in-line amp and drive it from a working tweeter. Build and add the speakers/amp from (1).

(3) Rebuild. Disconnect all of the Tesla speakers and only keep the mic array on, and the output from one speaker (fed into new amp) to allow the car to still speak. Custom amp, custom head unit and rewire completely to all new speakers.

I'm thinking version (1) would be best for me, but for many others keeping their cars a long time, (2) or (3) might be best.

Maybe someone has already solved these problems.

Thanks for any suggestions.