Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA CAV HOV Lane Decal - Wait times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do i need to redo it and pay again?

If they don't take the temporary plates, they will write to you and ask you for the permanent plate numbers, you shouldn't have to pay again. Some are claiming they got away with the Temp plates, but I waited for the permanent that I'd just transferred from my other car (personalized), so killed two birds with one stone. AAA handled it in a few minutes. I didn't want to risk another delay on the HOV tags.

I submitted the last week of December. Still nothing. There was an increase in EV vehicles last year. I assume that’s part of the delay.

A few of us got the blue HOV stickers two weeks ago but we mailed our application in November. 2-3 months seems to be the turnaround time in my experience. Took that long also in 2019 for our Honda Clarity stickers.

Waiting for my plates to arrive as well but have a few questions for those in my situation.

I am currently driving on the paper temp plates and waiting for my metal plates. Once I get those I want to get the carpool stickers and also order a personalized plate. Do I have to wait to order the carpool stickers till after my personalized plates come or do I order both at the same time and just order the carpool stickers on my regular metal plates that arrive and when my personalized plates arrive, submit a transfer of my stickers to the new personalized plate?

For those visual people see below:

Scenario 1:
Paper temp plate > Regular Metal plate received > Order carpool stickers (associate to the metal plate) and order personalized plate at same time > receive personalized plate > transfer carpool sticker association to the personalized plate

Scenario 2:
Paper temp plate > Regular Metal plate received > Order personalized plate > receive personalized plate > Order carpool sticker and associate to the personalized plate