Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Lane Splitters & AutoPilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the HOV lane this week during rush hour traffic and as permitted motorcycle lane splitters were zooming past me on the right. I got the rear collision warning in one instance which was rather unnerving. I wasn't on AutoPilot but was wondering what would have happened had it been engaged. Does anyone have experience with this? Did your car move right and if so how much? I'm not keen on getting too close to the guard rail.

As a long time motorcyclist, I'm glad that at the very least, the car does recognize motorcycles and warns of their approach. For years I commuted by MC and can't tell you how many people just don't see bikes...doesn't matter what you do.

I don't have FSD, so I have no experience concerning how the car will react. Hopefully, it will just hold station and allow the passing vehicle to make a safe pass. (Hopefully the bike is making a safe pass...)

Ive had lane splitters zip by and autopilot didn’t flinch. The other day, traffic was heavy yet moving along and I was following a motorcycle in the carpool lane. Autopilot did a good job of recognizing the bike and following safely with the sporadic slow downs. However, as a former motorcyclist, I was a little nerve wracked, more alert than I normally would be on autopilot.

I'm a long-time rider and lane-splitter in California, and I'm glad Tesla seems to be aware of permissible lane-sharing. This is a tricky one no doubt, and some riders split way too fast. Best thing to do for AP or FSD is to simply keep doing what it's doing and let the riders pass. If the AP or FSD knows to only enter and exit the HOV lane at legal ingress/egress points, I think that's going to help a lot. Drivers aren't supposed to cross that double yellow at all. Also, if it doesn't hug the right that will be good too.

As a rider, the worst case scenario is when people DART over the double yellow without looking. Those Tesla sensors are always on so I expect it (or FSD) will be better than a lot of drivers soon enough.

Maybe Teslas will learn not to over-react to splitters, or will know to move over to the left a bit when a motorbike is discovered, tricky though this may be.

I've been on Autopilot in the fast lane and had a motorcycle split the #1 and #2 lanes and the car didn't react, other than to visualize the motorcyclist on the screen. This was not at or near the speed limit, more like moderate traffic.

It would be great if FSD was smart enough to slide over within its lane a bit when it sees a motorcycle approaching from behind, at least if you're in the fast lane or the curb lane. Maybe some time in the future the computer will be smart enough to make that a customizable setting.

I'm a long-time rider and lane-splitter in California, and I'm glad Tesla seems to be aware of permissible lane-sharing. This is a tricky one no doubt, and some riders split way too fast. Best thing to do for AP or FSD is to simply keep doing what it's doing and let the riders pass. If the AP or FSD knows to only enter and exit the HOV lane at legal ingress/egress points, I think that's going to help a lot. Drivers aren't supposed to cross that double yellow at all. Also, if it doesn't hug the right that will be good too.

As a rider, the worst case scenario is when people DART over the double yellow without looking. Those Tesla sensors are always on so I expect it (or FSD) will be better than a lot of drivers soon enough.

Maybe Teslas will learn not to over-react to splitters, or will know to move over to the left a bit when a motorbike is discovered, tricky though this may be.

Just not seeing the advantage of moving to the left a bit. There are just too many CA car pool lanes where the wall is inches away from the yellow line, and a car automatically moving left even a few inches could freak out the driver as that wall starts to loom a lot larger (and more menacing).

I would think a cyclist would prefer to pass a car making zero moves, no?

Reactions: SR-75
Just not seeing the advantage of moving to the left a bit. There are just too many CA car pool lanes where the wall is inches away from the yellow line, and a car automatically moving left even a few inches could freak out the driver as that wall starts to loom a lot larger (and more menacing).

Not moving is perfectly fine, as long as nobody is riding the double yellow. It depends on what the person to the right is doing.

Human drivers aware of our presence often move left, and this is welcome too. It gives us room, but it also lets us know that this driver sees us, and we can focus the balance of our attention on bigger potential threats.

For autopilot/FSD, not moving seems to be the way to go for all involved.

Cyclist=bicyclist, rider=motorcyclist. :)

Prior to autopilot I use to keep my car to the left of the HOV lane to give the motorcyclists space. Autopilot stays centered. Autopilot in the HOV lane when it is right at the center divider is nerve wracking especially when the center divider widens at the sign poles and bridges. It has not been an issue during the pandemic with less traffic.

This has always been my mindset. If I'm passing a car while splitting, I do not expect it to move for me. I actually assume the driver has not even seen me. I don't make the pass unless I feel comfortable with the space available. If the car moves to provide more room, awesome, so long as it doesn't do anything silly. (I was once going across the SF/Oakland bridge and a car moved so much to allow me to split it almost hit the truck beside it). But that is not expected behavior. Although with this new "robo" car future, it would be great if software could help everyone commute more safely by giving each other a little more space.