Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is the interior temprature which controls whether it comes on. In my experience it comes on if internal temperatures rise above 38C and maintains that temperature. The car easily gets to 40C on the inside even with modest (low 20s) sunshine in the UK.

Would REALLY like to have two updated features for Cabin Overheat Protection: (anyone know if this is coming?)

1) Exception for Home address. Only need Overheat Protection when going to stores, parking outside in sunlight, etc. Don't want to kill battery while at home

2) Turn overheat protection on/off using the Tesla App

If you want to control the temperature, you can just use the "Keep Climate On" features (Dog Mode, "On", Camp Mode). You'll use way more energy doing so of course to maintain the lower temperatures, but if you want to keep melty things in your car and also not have them melt, that's the price to pay.

Would REALLY like to have two updated features for Cabin Overheat Protection: (anyone know if this is coming?)

1) Exception for Home address. Only need Overheat Protection when going to stores, parking outside in sunlight, etc. Don't want to kill battery while at home

2) Turn overheat protection on/off using the Tesla App
Is this a Las Vegas heat thing? Does it get hot enough in your garage that the overheat protection runs?

Is this a Las Vegas heat thing? Does it get hot enough in your garage that the overheat protection runs?

I live near Phoenix. My garage is not insulated or air conditioned. The garage interior can easily get above 100 F when the exterior is above 110. On such days, the interior of my Model 3 can get hotter than the garage, I assume because of heat from charging or residual from the previous driving. At such times the overheat protection does run.

Reactions: Pwrgnr22
I live near Phoenix. My garage is not insulated or air conditioned. The garage interior can easily get above 100 F when the exterior is above 110. On such days, the interior of my Model 3 can get hotter than the garage, I assume because of heat from charging or residual from the previous driving. At such times the overheat protection does run.

I am noticing that when the overheat protection is running, the interior of the garage gets hotter. And that makes sense but it means the overheat protection must run more, continuing the cycle. It might be better to not run overheat protection in my garage in summer. But then, what damage to the interior or electronics would happen?

I am noticing that when the overheat protection is running, the interior of the garage gets hotter. And that makes sense but it means the overheat protection must run more, continuing the cycle. It might be better to not run overheat protection in my garage in summer. But then, what damage to the interior or electronics would happen?

Yeah, I noticed this while car-camping in a garage over the summer. When the garage door was closed, the garage ended up really warm and the car had to use more power to keep me cool overnight. The next night I opened the garage door like 5 inches and everything was fine. Saved a few kWhs.

Reactions: adayley