Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is parked outside during SoCal summer with daily temp over 100. The internal temperature gets over 150 every day after 3pm. I have cabin overheat protection off since the beginning back in 2018. Nothing seems damage yet inside equipment or materials. During covid, my car just park outside for weeks at time since we ordered in. Even if I had cabin overheat protection on, it would have just worked for the first day and it would have turned itself off anyway.
car interiors are made to handle those temps... over multiple years and years there will be some aging and especially seals/ clear coat exposed on outside to sun will deteriorate... on 10yr+ old vehicles in Texas which were parked outside... you can see clear coat being burned off/ chipping... but that takes years and years

Yes, the manual states that COP is for comfort and not to protect interior. Just wondered if the interior would start looking bad from the sun not the heat. But seems yours has held up well, thanks for the information.
My model 3 is white ext and white int. The interior white looks about the same (to me) after 5 years. My car is not garaged so only parked outside. The black part looks about the same to me. There is no peeling (unlike my BMW), and if there is any black color fade, I can't really tell. BTW, I turned off Cabin Overheat Protection not because I want to save energy. I turned it off because of the moldy smell. I think before they changed the software, the A/C kept going on/off while parked and not giving enough time for the inside to dry up. And the moldy smell was bad. I read that they changed the software now leaving the fan on longer. I just never bothered to turn COP back on.