Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote Climate Control and Cabin Overheat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So reading through information about climate control I came across a group of people who seemed to insinuate that using remote climate control to cool the car down, say while shopping and a few minutes before leaving the store, was extremely bad for battery longevity. But of course now I cannot find this thread anymore. I cannot think of any reason why this sort of situation would be bad for battery longevity but I thought I'd get the opinion of others.

Related to this, as I know that cabin overheat protection is a safety measure for people, and not to protect the electronics, do you turn off cabin overheat protection off or keep it on and why. Do you use any sort of front window shade? I've also never used a front window sun shade in a car, but I am considering it now when I am out and about, just to help increase range by not having to cool the cabin down as much. But I have no idea if it helps enough to be worth the hassle.

A lot of FUD out there. In massive quantities. Did you get this info on Facebook or Reddit?

The only way it would affect battery longevity would be if you were consistently running the battery down to a low SOC. The climate control system does not use an awful lot of energy.

I use a windshield shade when parked for any period of time in hot weather. For short periods like going into the grocery store, I may just use climate hold. I also use interior roof shades installed from mid April until September. I like the look and the cabin acoustics. I leave them off in the winter to maximize solar heating.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
A lot of FUD out there. In massive quantities. Did you get this info on Facebook or Reddit?

The only way it would affect battery longevity would be if you were consistently running the battery down to a low SOC. The climate control system does not use an awful lot of energy.

I use a windshield shade when parked for any period of time in hot weather. For short periods like going into the grocery store, I may just use climate hold. I also use interior roof shades installed from mid April until September. I like the look and the cabin acoustics. I leave them off in the winter to maximize solar heating.
Amen to that. I also use the OEM roof shades to help keep th heat down - very effective.

Reactions: rpiotro
I live in New England. It rarely gets into the 90's here, so I don't often have the need to remotely turn on the AC to cool down the cabin, but I've noticed that when I do use it, it takes only a very few minutes to do the job. Clearly, running the AC for just a few minutes is not going to adversely affect the battery. Leaving the overheat protection on, or using dog mode for long periods of time might cut into you state of charge, but even that isn't going to hurt the battery in the long run. But, unless you charge your car using photovoltaic panels, you are slightly increasing your carbon footprint.