Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T

tony26

I've read that the cabin overheat protection is to help protect kids and pets, just in case they get left in the car. Another article I read said, "Potentially protects the Tesla’s MCU (Media Control Unit) from getting too hot." That was on this site, "Tesla Overheat Protection Explained (How To Enable & Troubleshoot)." If I turn off the cabin overheat protection is there a chance the media control unit would get damaged? I'm in CA and some days the overheat protection uses 10 percent of my battery while I'm at work. I don't mind it being hot in the car when I leave work if it saves me 10 percent battery, but will it damage the inside of the car? I'm a bit confused after reading that article.

Does anyone in CA not use cabin overheat protection?

Thanks,

Tony

I've read that the cabin overheat protection is to help protect kids and pets, just in case they get left in the car. Another article I read said, "Potentially protects the Tesla’s MCU (Media Control Unit) from getting too hot." That was on this site, "Tesla Overheat Protection Explained (How To Enable & Troubleshoot)." If I turn off the cabin overheat protection is there a chance the media control unit would get damaged? I'm in CA and some days the overheat protection uses 10 percent of my battery while I'm at work. I don't mind it being hot in the car when I leave work if it saves me 10 percent battery, but will it damage the inside of the car? I'm a bit confused after reading that article.

Thanks,

Tony

I am in Phoenix, AZ (aka surface of the sun) and I have used COP in “fan only” mode for the past 4 years with no I’ll effects.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I am in Phoenix, AZ (aka surface of the sun) and I have used COP in “fan only” mode for the past 4 years with no I’ll effects.
Than you, I will change my setting to "fan only." Thank you for letting me know. I know Phoenix is very hot. It was 111 here the other day but I know it can get like around 120 in AZ at times.

I dont use cabin overheat protection. Now, full disclosure, I have 3m Crystalline tint all around my car (on every window, including the glass roof. I also use a high quality windshield shade whenever I park out in the sun. I have had my car since Dec of 2018, and not only have I not had any issues with interior electronics, the inside of my car still looks brand new (probably more due to the windshield sunshade).

Get a windshield sunshade and turn it off if you want.

How does "fan only" mode help keep the interior of the car cool when it's 120 inside?

I've used the air conditioning to do it but does "fan only" really help?
I’m in NC and use “fan only” most all summer. It isn’t cool when you get in, but it must circulate outside air or something because it isn’t scorching hot inside like my other vehicles have always been on similar days. I seems to use about 1% of my battery to do this while I’m at work.

Reactions: Carolina Karl

Thanks,

Tony
I agree with just about everything in the linked article, but even the suggestion that Cabin Overheat Protection is “to help protect kids and pets” is dangerous. Kids should never be left in cars in the heat. I don’t have any pets right now, and though I applaud “Dog Mode,” I sure I’ll still be anxious leaving a dog in the car with it.

I use COP every day, with AC; where I live and park, my black M3 would get very hot inside without it (even with a front shade), and I don’t mind the range loss across the day. (Yes, someday I’ll get tint for the windows, etc, which I know will help.)

I'm in CA and some days the overheat protection uses 10 percent of my battery while I'm at work. I don't mind it being hot in the car when I leave work if it saves me 10 percent battery, but will it damage the inside of the car? I'm a bit confused after reading that article.

About battery drain from COP - yes, it's real.
It was 95+F in NJ today when I left the car parked outside (in direct sunlight) with front windshield sunscreen and fan-only COF running.
It used ~7% of the battery during 4.5 hours.

How does "fan only" mode help keep the interior of the car cool when it's 120 inside?
I've used the air conditioning to do it but does "fan only" really help?

Fan-only mode will keep the interior temp in-line with the exterior/ambient temps.
Which is better than allowing the car's interior heat up as a green house with no air circulation, but not as good actively cooling it. So if it's 100F outside (or 120F), then that's what you will be maintaining inside.

Does it "help"?
Sort-of.
But I had closed the windows and turned AC on a few minutes before getting back into the car. Getting into a 95F car would not be an attractive proposition.

I am in NC and I leave it on (with AC on). Not concerned about it using up the battery since I typically have always enough juice for my back and forth trips from home.

I'm not really concerned about emptying the battery, as much as I don't want to waste it on cooling the car unnecessarily.
I don't actively cool my other cars when those are parked during the summer. I do use sunscreens and crank windows and/or sunroof open on all of them, and have never ever experienced any ill effects from summer heat exposure. Even when I lived in TX.

I had never seriously considered Tesla's interior to be THAT fragile as to require active cooling.
Frankly, if it can't withstand the heat, I might as well allow things to self-destruct and let Tesla SC handle the results under warranty.

If someone has experienced heat-induced interior component failures, please speak up.
Otherwise, I'm disinclined to waste electricity on cooling Tesla interiors while I'm not in them. I will probably stop using COF altogether, and use sunscreen and crank windows open in the future.

YMMV,
a

Reactions: gtae07
... I'm not really concerned about emptying the battery, as much as I don't want to waste it on cooling the car unnecessarily.
I don't actively cool my other cars when those are parked during the summer. I do use sunscreens and crank windows and/or sunroof open on all of them, and have never ever experienced any ill effects from summer heat exposure. Even when I lived in TX....

Agreed, I also did not cool my other cars. However, with the glass roof of the M3, the black interior, and the MSM exterior, it is for me a total different situation. This car gets much much hotter than my previous cars. I also use the sunscreen on the windshield but I still leave the COP on. The usage is not that bad IMO and once I am close to departing from work, I do some extra venting and drop the temperature further remotely.

Day 4 of ownership and Yesterday the temp was 60 degrees but sunny .
Inside the car I think it reached 100. I don' t have even Front Windshield
Shade yet . The roof is basically a giant magnifying glass . You could get some
Energy out of the temperature differential . Not comfortable with leaving the
windows down yet even at home. I have seen various aftermarket solutions
ranging from roof Screens to Full on retractable roof shades . Anybody have any expierence with these? Best Bang for the Buck of best quality and features.
I live in California and I knew this would happen from other people I knew that
have a 3 or Y. It's been cold here lately should be in the 70's and is in the 60's along the coast.

Day 4 of ownership and Yesterday the temp was 60 degrees but sunny .
Inside the car I think it reached 100. I don' t have even Front Windshield
Shade yet . The roof is basically a giant magnifying glass . You could get some
Energy out of the temperature differential . Not comfortable with leaving the
windows down yet even at home. I have seen various aftermarket solutions
ranging from roof Screens to Full on retractable roof shades . Anybody have any expierence with these? Best Bang for the Buck of best quality and features.
I live in California and I knew this would happen from other people I knew that
have a 3 or Y. It's been cold here lately should be in the 70's and is in the 60's along the coast.
Roof sunshade is your answer.

Reactions: rpiotro
Any brands or the Tesla Ones ?
There are a few companys making permanent ones that retrach now.
The glass roof is beautiful but not practical . I don't think I have looked up once .
I think they must have increased the tint but it doesn't mean that it is cool.

Any brands or the Tesla Ones ?
There are a few companys making permanent ones that retrach now.
The glass roof is beautiful but not practical . I don't think I have looked up once .
I think they must have increased the tint but it doesn't mean that it is cool.

This car is not any hotter inside than any other car I have had in CA the last 30+ years. The ONLY difference is, people know how hot it is inside this one (in general) because it says so in an app.

I got my roof glass tinted (vs putting up a roof shade) when I got my other windows tinted, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I use a high quality front shade for the front windshield. it doesnt stop the car from going over 120 degrees inside but it still looks brand new inside after close to 5 years of ownership, and I have had no issues from supposed hot electronics.

Did Tesla combine the cabin camera to activate. The cabin overheat protection? I figure that will be a simple software update. If there is motion in the car, means there is a dog or child there and turn on cabin overheat. The cabin overheat should also have an auto option to vent the car now that the option has been added.

The fundamental concept behind cabin overheat protection is Tesla's method of preventing individuals from being trapped in a hot car and potentially succumbing to heatstroke.

For instance, imagine that you are responsible for taking a child to daycare, which is not something you typically do, but you agree to do it. While driving, the child falls asleep in the backseat, and you unintentionally forget that they are still in the car when you arrive at work. As you exit the vehicle and head into work, the child awakens and is subjected to the sweltering temperatures inside the car, eventually succumbing to heat exhaustion.