Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay good point
Just found this in my model y manual regarding COP:
"This feature is intended for passenger comfort and has no impact on the reliability of your vehicle's components."
So okay I guess it's okay to cook my computer screen. Thanks for the guidance here guys.
My MY has been doing some what wonky things lately but nothing terrible. Like insisting (and dinging at me) that I put my seat belt on, when it's already on and clicked. Or randomly opening a window part way. That one's really weird and could be a problem with the frequent rain showers we're getting lately. But nothing I can really put my finger on to write up a service request for. I keep thinking I must have accidentally hit the window button. But really? Just weird. I guess I didn't know if I let the computer screen get too hot, that it would create weird instances like this in my car. Really though, I have no idea.

I've seen my cabin easily get over 160+ here in Vegas during summer w/o COP. While I'm sure everything was designed to withstand the most extremes of weather, for the small sacrifice and not having to wait endlessly to cool the car down--I leave it on.

I've seen my cabin easily get over 160+ here in Vegas during summer w/o COP. While I'm sure everything was designed to withstand the most extremes of weather, for the small sacrifice and not having to wait endlessly to cool the car down--I leave it on.
I see your point. Here in New Jersey, yesterday when the temperature was only around 70°F, the cabin got up to around 125°F and we weren't even to the full heat of the day yet. I was never so aware of how hot cars get, even in temperate climates, and it was more than half in the shade

Last edited:
I mainly leave it on so if I forget to precool the car, it doesn't go over 100 in the car. But I usually remember so probably no necessary. But it's nice to have the car cool down quicker than if it got 140+ in my car.

Reactions: Beandoc
Automotive grade electronics are rated for -40C to 105C (or -40F to 221F). If your car gets to 105C/221F you're going to have other problems than the electronics. Things may start to melt!

Here's a Jaguar being melted by sun reflection in London (from a concave mirror effect):
I agree with your premise here but I don't know why my model y owner's manual says that that feature is just for driver comfort, not for the electronics and that they will be unaffected. Doesn't make sense to me either actually.