Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cable length?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a better bang for the buck than the HPWC is.
The number of times that people NEED the extra current is probably statistically 0
============
I have a loonngg carport. fits two cars +
Have charging plug at the front and there is a plug at the other end.
Wanted a cord capable of 5 mi/hr charging like the orignal that came with the car.
But 500 bucks is way too much so I was hoping the new less expensive one would work.
But it won't even carry a full load from charging from a 120 volt outlet.
Boooooooo. :(

Not really sure what you are talking about. The UMC is $275. That's the cord that comes with the car.
=============
No, the cord that comes with the car is $520 for a replacement. It is good for a lot more current than the $275 cable. The original cord charges at 5 mi/ hr on 120 volts. The cheaper cable is only capable of charging at 2 or 3 mi/hr according to the web page.

=============
No, the cord that comes with the car is $520 for a replacement. It is good for a lot more current than the $275 cable. The original cord charges at 5 mi/ hr on 120 volts. The cheaper cable is only capable of charging at 2 or 3 mi/hr according to the web page.

I'D get a Gen 1 cable and instal a 14-50, but that's me.

=============

What cable are you talking about? All the 120V cables charge at the same the same rate (depending on if you have the 5-15 or 5-20 adapter of course).

=============

Sorry, the $275 is the one that comes with the car. You can easily see just from the pictures that the case is the same. The one that you are referring to is the corded mobile connector which does not support the adapters. It can't do 120 V. It supports faster charging speeds than the Mobile Connector Bundle because well, it doesn't support 120V.

At 120V, everything is the same.

=============

????

Who told you the cord that came with the car costs $520?!

Mobile Connector
Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

The advertised charging speed for the store page, and all the other charts on their site underreport the 120V charge speeds and say 2-3 miles per hour instead of reality, which is actually 5 mph.

That product above is exactly what every new Model 3 comes with in North America. It hasn't changed since the Model 3 went on sale. The model 3 shipped with the "Gen 2" Mobile Connector from the start.

It is 20 feet long.

Did your car come with a square black charger bag, with a Mobile Connector in it, and a removable NEMA 5-15 (standard 120V) adapter?
Or did it come with a round charger bag with mesh see-through area, with no removable adapter, and a hard-wired NEMA 14-50 240V plug on the end?

The latter is the $520 "Corded" Mobile Connector and it is only good for 14-50 outlets (240V) and doesn't come with any car sold AFAIK.

What costs $520 and did not come with your car:

Corded Mobile Connector
1106293-00-A_alt.jpg

1106293-00-A_0.jpg

What costs $275 and did come with your car:

It says right in the description "This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle." ... if you read the 2-3 mph part, you must have seen this page.
1512830-00-A_0.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 1.01.53 AM.png

????

Mobile Connector

The advertised charging speed for the store page, and all the other charts on their site underreport the 120V charge speeds and say 2-3 miles per hour instead of reality, which is actually 5 mph.

That product above is exactly what every new Model 3 comes with in North America. It hasn't changed since the Model 3 went on sale. The model 3 shipped with the "Gen 2" Mobile Connector from the start.

It is 20 feet long.

Did your car come with a square black charger bag, with a Mobile Connector in it, and a removable NEMA 5-15 (standard 120V) adapter?
Or did it come with a round charger bag with mesh see-through area, with no removable adapter, and a hard-wired NEMA 14-50 240V plug on the end?

The latter is the $520 "Corded" Mobile Connector and it is only good for 14-50 outlets (240V) and doesn't come with any car sold AFAIK.

What costs $520 and did not come with your car:

Corded Mobile Connector
1106293-00-A_alt.jpg

1106293-00-A_0.jpg

What costs $275 and did come with your car:

It says right in the description "This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle." ... if you read the 2-3 mph part, you must have seen this page.
1512830-00-A_0.jpg

View attachment 454526

The website said the $520 unit charged at 5 mph which is what I get. It said the $275 unit charged at only 2 - 3 mph so I <presumed > it was not the same as what I have. What I have looks like the $520 unit. I got mine in Feb 2019.

I tend to trust the web site when it says the charge rate. If it is wrong, I think many people would have told them.

And, for some time, the $520 unit was the only one they sold. The $275 unit is relatively new. So that also made me think my car came with the $520 unit because when I got it that was the only cable available.

The website said the $520 unit charged at 5 mph which is what I get. It said the $275 unit charged at only 2 - 3 mph so I <presumed > it was not the same as what I have. What I have looks like the $520 unit. I got mine in Feb 2019.

I tend to trust the web site when it says the charge rate. If it is wrong, I think many people would have told them.

And, for some time, the $520 unit was the only one they sold. The $275 unit is relatively new. So that also made me think my car came with the $520 unit because when I got it that was the only cable available.

When you look at the cable that came with your car, which one of the pictures in the above post does it match? Unless you got a different cable than literally every other tesla owner, you got the "gen 2 mobile connector" one in the post above. If your car actually came with the 1st cable, I would love to see a picture of it as it would be the only one in america that came with that cable.

????

[snip]
Oh fine, just be all factual and stuff ;)

But I am curious: is there a benefit of the $520 Corded Mobile Connector over the the $275 Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle + $35 Gen 2 NEMA Adapter to get the 14-50. The Corded Mobile Connector states (emphasis mine)

The Corded Mobile Connector features a NEMA 14-50 plug and improved charging speeds (versus standard Gen 2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 5-15 adapter).
If I'm reading between the lines correctly, there is no advantage to the $520 cable over the $310 cable/adaptor ($275 + $35). Which may be why the $520 is not in stock?

Reactions: Phlier
When you look at the cable that came with your car, which one of the pictures in the above post does it match? Unless you got a different cable than literally every other tesla owner, you got the "gen 2 mobile connector" one in the post above. If your car actually came with the 1st cable, I would love to see a picture of it as it would be the only one in america that came with that cable.

Here's a couple of pics one shows bag with 2 adapters and the other shows the 120 volt adapter in use.

============
Bag with 2 adapters.jpg 120 volt cable in use.jpg

Sorry had to use thumbnails because it said the pics were too big. I don't know what I did wrong but it wouldn't put the 2nd pic in. just a link. Maybe it will come out better when posted.

As you can see the cable is very nice and thick especially compared to the way the cable looks on the website for the $275 dollar version.

And it came with all 3 adapters. I don't think the new cable does.

I think the problem we are having here is that Tesla has changed their cables and what they are selling and giving with newer cars. Mine came with all 3 adapters and I don't think any of the new cables do.

Attachments

• 120 volt cable in use.jpg
    120 volt cable in use.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Arizona Willie, during the summer in Phoenix I learned to charge with the cable at night (my outlet is outside) because direct sunlight on the cable would overheat it and charging would shut off with an error message. On Thursday I'm driving down from Prescott to get one of the Tesla wall connectors installed inside to solve the problem. I already a wall connector here in Prescott and it's fast!

Here's a couple of pics one shows bag with 2 adapters and the other shows the 120 volt adapter in use.

============
View attachment 454819 View attachment 454823

Sorry had to use thumbnails because it said the pics were too big. I don't know what I did wrong but it wouldn't put the 2nd pic in. just a link. Maybe it will come out better when posted.

As you can see the cable is very nice and thick especially compared to the way the cable looks on the website for the $275 dollar version.

I think the problem we are having here is that Tesla has changed their cables and what they are selling and giving with newer cars. Mine came with all 3 adapters and I don't think any of the new cables do.

You are mixing a couple of things up. As has been pointed out in this thread, the cable that comes with the car has not changed in the slightest. It is the $275 Gen 2 mobile connector. The fact that yours "comes apart" and has adapters is 100% evidence of that. What has changed, is what ADAPTERS that cable comes with. The car has never come with the cable that is $520. What it appears you are doing is confusing the fact that with new cars, they dont get all the adapters you (and those of us that purchased last year) got.

The cable that comes with the car is $275. The $520 cable is a different one. Not sure what to tell you other than that, but of course you dont have to believe us, you are free to believe what you want to.

The website said the $520 unit charged at 5 mph which is what I get.
a) where does the website state that the $520 unit charges at 5 mph? the $520 one is for 14-50 outlets which is 240V and charges WAY faster than 5mph.
b) you have the $275 one that every other Model 3 owner has, and you get 5mph, which just illustrates what I said about the site being wrong about 2-3. They want to underpromise and overdeliver instead of disappointing people with the slowness... and they also want you to spend more money on a wall connector since 2-3 sounds pretty bad. 12hrs x 2 is only 24 mi over night. 5mph x 12 is 60 mi though. This is more than most commuters actually need.
It said the $275 unit charged at only 2 - 3 mph so I <presumed > it was not the same as what I have.
Right, fair presumption, but it's just that the website is wrong on that. See above.

What I have looks like the $520 unit. I got mine in Feb 2019.

Does your plug plug into a normal 120V outlet? Then it doesn't look like the $520 unit, because that has a 4-pronged 240V 14-50 plug on it, and it's hardwired in, hence the name "Corded" Mobile Connector. Ours is just the "Mobile Connector" and you swap out the plug part with whichever adapter you choose.

a) see above. b) why would you tell them? who cares... I know mine charges at 5mph and the site says 2-3, I don't care enough to tell them to change it ... they KNOW already and choose to leave it like that is my thought.

That's just wrong, the price may be different but it isn't 'new'. It used to be $300 and include 2 adapters (5-15 and 14-50).
Now it is $275 and includes only the 5-15 and you have to pay $25 separately if you want the 14-50. That's a better deal.
The J1772 public charging adapter that came with your car is not a part of the kit you get at all, it is for sale separately.

From Dec 15, 2017:

Tesla releases 40% cheaper next-gen mobile connector for Model 3, S, and X - Electrek

Tesla started shipping a new mobile connector with the Model 3 earlier this year.

Today, Tesla made the device – pictured above – its new standard mobile connector for all its vehicles and they are calling it “Gen 2”.

The new mobile connector was apparently only delivered with the Model 3, but it now comes with all of Tesla’s vehicles, according to the company’s website.

“This product is included as standard equipment with your Tesla vehicle, however, purchasing another Mobile Connector Bundle may provide extra convenience if you wish to keep one set at the home and carry another in the car.”

Oh fine, just be all factual and stuff ;)

But I am curious: is there a benefit of the $520 Corded Mobile Connector over the the $275 Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle + $35 Gen 2 NEMA Adapter to get the 14-50. The Corded Mobile Connector states (emphasis mine)

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, there is no advantage to the $520 cable over the $310 cable/adaptor ($275 + $35). Which may be why the $520 is not in stock?

I believe the corded 14-50 MC is thicker gauge cable and supports 40A whereas the normal MC is 32A.
An SR+ only charges at 32A max though, so ... I think the corded 14-50 for a tad more speed is a niche product compared to the flexibility of the standard MC with multiple adapters available.

I mean, if you are using it only at home and have a 14-50? But then for $500 you could have got the corded Wall Connector instead:
Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug

============
View attachment 454819 View attachment 454823

No cable ever came with 3 adapters. The J1772 is an adapter for public chargers to your car. It's not an adapter that fits the Mobile Connector cable at all.

Your car came with the J1772, and the kit came with 2 adapters. The total is 3, yes, but only 2 are for the kit.
At some point in the spring, they took the 14-50 adapter out of the kit, and dropped the price $25 from $300 to $275. I think you are misremembering the "old cable" as the $300 one and since you see a "new cable" that is $275 you think the "old one" is the $520 one, but the $520 one is a totally different plug, and not interchangeable. The $275 one is the exact same as the "old" $300 one which is the exact same as has shipped with every Model 3.

It's the same kit in your car but you have to pay for the 14-50 separately (or don't pay $25 if you don't want it).

The J1772 is not part of the kit, even though it came with your car. It's available for sale separately as well on the Tesla shop.

Reactions: Kamban