Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Cable changing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 3rd Generation Tesla HPWC. Is it possible to switch the cable to a J1772 from the Tesla charger ? I sold my Tesla and have and J1772 wire from a non working old charger I had. The cable is longer which would be better for me (the new car has the charging port on the other side of the car) as opposed to using a Lectron extension adaptor.

Probably not. When charging a J1772 car from a standard WC (not the J1772 or UWC versions) a special adapter from someone like Lectron is required. The adapter is a smart device that mimics the Tesla protocol.

The J1772 and UWC versions of the WC likely have different firmware that allows it to respond to the J1772 charging protocol.

It's possible to switch the cable but it will most likely involve bypassing the temperature sensor that's integrated into the connector. It would be safer to use a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter or sell the unit and replace it with a Universal Wall Connector, which has a built-in adapter.

Thanks for all replies. I know about the adaptor the issue is the new vehicle has the charge port on other side and cable is too short. I found a video of someone who did it since my first post. I done want to sell the charger since I may get another tell at some point.

Thanks for all replies. I know about the adaptor the issue is the new vehicle has the charge port on other side and cable is too short. I found a video of someone who did it since my first post. I done want to sell the charger since I may get another tell at some point.
This may seem silly but could you not park the other way around? I am just lazy per se and try not to over think it.

I know about the adaptor the issue is the new vehicle has the charge port on other side and cable is too short. I found a video of someone who did it since my first post. I done want to sell the charger since I may get another tell at some point.
If it were me, I would probably go with what seems like the simplest route. Replace that with an actual J1772 station that has a 25 foot cord. The adapter that Tesla cars come with is very small and easy and convenient, so that wouldn't be too bad to use if or when you eventually get a Tesla.

If it were me, I would probably go with what seems like the simplest route. Replace that with an actual J1772 station that has a 25 foot cord. The adapter that Tesla cars come with is very small and easy and convenient, so that wouldn't be too bad to use if or when you eventually get a Tesla.

Probably a nice product but I wont be spending a $1100 plus on this option. Lectron has a 200 extension conversion cable I would do before that.
But thanks for the info.

As Big Earl stated earlier, your best solution to work with both Tesla and non Tesla cars is the universal wall connector. The price is very reasonable and all the bases are covered.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/universal-wall-connector

As Big Earl stated earlier, your best solution to work with both Tesla and non Tesla cars is the universal wall connector.
Well, it hypothetically would be if it worked, but it doesn't. Tesla messed up the J1772 implementation in it, and there is a 12 page thread here of people with many other brands of EVs that it doesn't work on.