Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cable Stuck with Red Tesla Logo on Charge Port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last 2 mornings when unplugging my Model 3 to begin my day, the Tesla logo LED turned red after pressing the button on the UMC. The cable was completely stuck. I tried a soft and hard reboot, but nothing seemed to work. The car had charged successfully both nights. For the first time, I needed to use the manual charge port release lever in the trunk. Before I call Tesla and wait on hold for a while, does anyone know if this is a common issue with an easy fix? I should mention that I live in Florida and the car is parked in my garage, so I doubt temperature played a factor here. Anyone else experience this? The car is only about 5 months old.

This has been reported a lot and happened to me last week. If it happens again set your charge limit up so the car starts charging again, then the charge port will unlock. Make sure you don’t exert any force on the UMC or Wall Connector handle when you press the button until the light turns white, then pull out.

This also happened to me for the first time yesterday, though I already knew that pulling the manual release would take care of it. That release is not like the emergency release in the front doors- it will not hurt your charge port to use it. You just need to be careful pulling because a few reported pulling the pull tab right off the cable.

I’m not making excuses for this happening- I hope there is a fix soon. However, the solution is actually really easy once you know where to look.

7573DF60-C300-4053-B172-A9F50BFE7A13.jpeg This happened to us a few times in December, at 3 different locations including a supercharger, with the warnings in the photo. It also wouldn’t start charging again. I believe it happened after the update that was supposed to help with cold weather charging issues (48 maybe?).

Walking away for 10-15 min and letting it sleep seemed to fix the problem, and when that wasn’t an option we used the manual release.

At our service yesterday for another issue (locking pin froze and wouldn’t release cable), they also replaced the magnet in the door and said that could cause a red T. I’m not sure why and I’m hearing that secondhand, so take it with a grain of salt.