Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cables for 12v to Phone Wireless Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am ordering the Taptes v2 wireless charger which is now available on amazon. I plan on wiring it to the 12v power source and running the wires down the side of the centre console (few videos on how to remove side).

I know I need a 12v power adapter with 2 USB slots and that I’ll need 2 USC C to micro USB cables for the charger.

My question is, has anyone done this and if so, what length of USB cables did you order? Did you also have to do any drilling?

thanks

Seems like you are doing too much here, this USB splitter connects to the wireless charger and powers it, there are 2 USB ports right under it. You can use this splitter: I have the same set up. 12 Volt from the USB port,

Dual USB Splitters Charger Cables Y-Splitter for Tesla Model 3 QI Wireless Charger - 2pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q73ZJLB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SWlTDbCFVVQ2C

This one comes with the 2 splitters already at a great price:

TapTes Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3, Wireless Phone Charging Pad Car Accessories for Phone Devices Support QI Wireless Charging, Compatible All Tesla M3 Except Standard Range -w/Two USB Splitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7ZTBJR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q5lTDbC4V0WEK

Last edited:
Thanks, but not sure what you mean by too much.

Using the splitter you linked, I would still need to get the cables to run from the 12v source to the charger down the side of the console. I’m not sure how long that run is and whether the standard 3’ would be enough.

If I understand the process right, after running down the side of the console I need to drill a hole to get the cables back into the console.

Did you do something different?

Reactions: preilly44
Thanks, but not sure what you mean by too much.

Using the splitter you linked, I would still need to get the cables to run from the 12v source to the charger down the side of the console. I’m not sure how long that run is and whether the standard 3’ would be enough.

If I understand the process right, after running down the side of the console I need to drill a hole to get the cables back into the console.

Did you do something different?
What 12v source? Your USB slot is your 12 volt source. No Drilling necessary.

I don’t have time right now, I will shoot a video tomorrow on where to place you wireless charger and how to connect it.

Fred

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: preilly44 and RB88
Thanks Fred, I do understand that you can simply hook up using the front USB ports and use a splitter for the dash cam etc. This type of charging however is not “fast charging” but instead is a lower output. As noted above I was looking at fast charging from the 12v source which would be a lot faster.

Reactions: preilly44
Thanks Fred, I do understand that you can simply hook up using the front USB ports and use a splitter for the dash cam etc. This type of charging however is not “fast charging” but instead is a lower output. As noted above I was looking at fast charging from the 12v source which would be a lot faster.

If you can, post the link of the V2 from the Amazon page.

Thanks

Ok this is Canadian Version , that’s why I couldn’t find it, also says “The normal charging speed is 5W Output(Restricted by the QI Agreement).” and still Output 5V/1-1.5A ... Hopefully the V2 allows the extra voltage or power bank to support quick charge. I didn’t see that in the info for the V2.

I found this on the V1 model
  • FAST WIRELESS CHARGING OPTION - The normal charging speed is 5W Output(Restricted by the QI Agreement). But TapTes Wireless Charger also works with other portable QC2.0 or QC3.0 power banks to enable fast charging, with QC2.0 or QC3.0 power input, 7.5W wireless charging on iPhone, 10W wireless charging on Android devices will be supported (Fast Charge is not supported on the Google Pixel/XL and Google Pixel 2/XL.). If want fast charging, we recommend you to buy a 9v power bank first.

Sorry to revive this long-dead thread, but I am having trouble with getting this to work and was wondering if I'm doing something wrong on my 2020 Model Y.

I purchased a 36W/6A cigarette lighter USB dual-charging port and two cables that were rated for 3A fast charging, but I am still getting very low charging speeds on my charging pad -- same speeds as when directly connected to the car's USB ports and barely enough charge to maintain the phone rather than charge it.

Am I getting something wrong? Any help would be appreciated...