Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac adds lane changing to Super Cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thanks for sharing.

From the article, it appears that Super cruise's auto lane change is like the auto lane change on regular AP where the driver has to initiate the auto lane change first. So I feel like NOA definitely pushes the envelop more than Supercruise 2.0.

Overall, it appears from the article that the new Supercruise is less bold and less ambitious than Tesla's NOA but probably a lot more reliable in what it can do. The article even mentions that Cadillac added additional hardware to ensure higher reliability in auto lane changes. It might not do "no confirmation lane changes" but it will do solid lane keeping, TACC and auto lane changes with the blinker completely hands free thanks to the driver facing camera.

However, the fact that the new Supercruise is only available on select new Cadillac's and not older ones is a big negative though. Tesla definitely gets a lot of points on that. Tesla releases frequent new features and every Tesla with the right hardware gets it. We were able to go from the first NOA to the new "NOA without confirmation" via an update without needing to buy a new Tesla.

Thanks for sharing.

From the article, it appears that Super cruise's auto lane change is like the auto lane change on regular AP where the driver has to initiate the auto lane change first. So I feel like NOA definitely pushes the envelop more than Supercruise 2.0.

Overall, it appears from the article that the new Supercruise is less bold and less ambitious than Tesla's NOA but probably a lot more reliable in what it can do. The article even mentions that Cadillac added additional hardware to ensure higher reliability in auto lane changes. It might not do "no confirmation lane changes" but it will do solid lane keeping, TACC and auto lane changes with the blinker completely hands free thanks to the driver facing camera.

However, the fact that the new Supercruise is only available on select new Cadillac's and not older ones is a big negative though. Tesla definitely gets a lot of points on that. Tesla releases frequent new features and every Tesla with the right hardware gets it. We were able to go from the first NOA to the new "NOA without confirmation" via an update without needing to buy a new Tesla.

I’m confused. Keep in mind we don’t have our car yet so patience. The way I read your reply is that the AP that will come as standard on my 2020 model 3 AWD will do a lane change if I indicate it by using the signal lights. Am I understanding you correctly?

Thanks in advance.

I’m confused. Keep in mind we don’t have our car yet so patience. The way I read your reply is that the AP that will come as standard on my 2020 model 3 AWD will do a lane change if I indicate it by using the signal lights. Am I understanding you correctly?

Thanks in advance.

No, you need the FSD package to get auto lane change. Sorry for the confusion. By "regular AP", I meant the mode with the double blue lines (AP) instead of the mode with the single blue line (NOA). I was talking about the fact that if you are on AP (FSD) you need to use the blinker to initiate an auto lane change but if you are on NOA (FSD), you can opt in to the auto lane change with no confirmation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Thanks for sharing.

Caddy has only released the CT6 as a Supercruise technology pathfinder. They have been dinking with it since 2012, and were supposed to roll it out in late 2015. Naw. And most Caddys were supposed to have it for 2020. Naw. They ran into a servicing issue. The cars need special equipment ($$$) to be recalibrated if you do so much as replace the windshield. And collision requires recal.

Caddy has only released the CT6 as a technology demonstrator. They have been dinking with it since 2012, and were supposed to roll it out in late 2015. Naw. And most Caddys were supposed to have it for 2020. Naw. They ran into a servicing issue. The cars need special equipment ($$$) to be recalibrated if you do so much as replace the windshield. And collision requires recal.

yes, like I said that is big negative on Cadillac. They have a great L2+ system but they only put it on some select luxury models and other models that had the first gen Supercruise can't be upgraded. It is big positive for Tesla that AP is more widespread on all models and we get new features via OTA updates.

Thanks in advance.
Current AP vs old EAP. Lane changes were removed from AP and moved to FSD. AP is “free” but EAP was always a pricey option. You get what you pay for — and that includes the accuracy of information in this free forum!

yes, like I said that is big negative on Cadillac. They have a great L2+ system but they only put it on some select luxury models and other models that had the first gen Supercruise can't be upgraded. It is big positive for Tesla that AP is more widespread on all models and we get new features via OTA updates.

Caddy is doing OTA. IIRC nearly everybody is now. Caddy did their first OTA test in 2009 for the headlights. It worked, but they refused to play with the ECM due to EPA issues. If they accidentally did something that changed the MPG or emissions, they could be sued into collapse.

Reactions: Eclectic
Caddy is doing OTA. IIRC nearly everybody is now. Caddy did their first OTA test in 2009 for the headlights. It worked, but they refused to play with the ECM due to EPA issues. If they accidentally did something that changed the MPG or emissions, they could be sued into collapse.

I am just reacting to this line in the article:

"There is a catch, though. This update will only be available on the 2021 Cadillac CT4, CT5, and Escalade, all of which arrive in the second half of this year. It doesn't appear as if the update can be applied to existing Super Cruise vehicles, although right now that list comprises the Cadillac CT6 sedan… and nothing else."

Reactions: CrayZ1
I am just reacting to this line in the article:

"There is a catch, though. This update will only be available on the 2021 Cadillac CT4, CT5, and Escalade, all of which arrive in the second half of this year. It doesn't appear as if the update can be applied to existing Super Cruise vehicles, although right now that list comprises the Cadillac CT6 sedan… and nothing else."

Correct. It's a hardware change.

It's good that Super Cruise is trying to catch up on Tesla.

How will Super Cruise lane-changing technology work?

Right now, it has frontal cameras and radars as shown on its webpage:

upload_2020-1-28_13-47-45.png

• Helpful
Reactions: croman

View attachment 505232

I could be wrong but I think that is the old Supercruise that did not do auto lane changes. The recent article mentions adding new "rear facing sensors". My guess is that the new Cadillac's will get either rear facing cameras or rear facing lidar or rear facing radar or a combination of both in order to do auto lane changes.

It's good that Super Cruise is trying to catch up on Tesla.

Those are the frontal cameras that are present on all 2016+ CT6's with or without Supercruise. It does not show the other cameras or sensors. Cadillac demonstrated autosteering to the press in 2012. They did not release a FSD video in Nov 2016 however.

Looks like after the first included three years of OnStar, you have to renew OnStar if you want Super Cruise to continue to function.

Yes, you need OnStar with cell reception because that's how it calls for help if Supercruise cannot get a response out of you. It needs a GPS signal too so it knows where to send help to. ie - if you have a medical emergency and the car cannot wake you, it has to send help. It's a liability issue.

Supercruise is true hands free... right?

Yes. It uses a driver facing camera to verify that the driver is keeping their eyes on the road. If not, it will be warn the driver to pay attention and disengage if the driver does not (similar to AP). As long as the driver does keep their eyes on the road and Supercruise is confident it can operate then it will stay in the lane, modulate speed with traffic and auto lane change with the blinker, completely hands-free.

Why do you say that Supercruise is "probably a lot more reliable" than Autopilot?

The original Supercruise has very good lane keeping with no "ping ponging" in the lane. That's due to Cadillac mapping out the highways with lidar so the car basically follows an imaginary path in the the middle of the lane. He explains it in this Supercruise review:

Basically, Supercruise is more limited. It only works on highways mapped by lidar but that ensures more reliable lane keeping. It has less features. It only does lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. It basically focuses on quality over quantity, doing less but doing it better. NOA takes the opposite approach of being broader, doing more, but maybe not doing every feature quite as reliably.

Also, the article I read describes the new auto lane change as not instantly moving over to the adjacent lane but instead, when the driver hits the turn signal, the car uses the rear sensors to check if the lane is clear and then moves over when it is safe to do so. That sounds like a very safe way of doing auto lane changes.