Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Carpool Sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CA HOV stickers do come off easily, but they're a one-time use sticker. They do not leave any marks on the car, and if they do then the paint's surface wasn't cleaned correctly before putting on the sticker. I've been applying & removing CA HOV decals on multiple cars since 2014, and I've replaced a bunch of them over time for different reasons. Just make sure you prep & clean the surface well before putting on the sticker.

To remove the CA HOV sticker from your paint, all you need is a hair dryer, some Goo-Gone, and some wax. Just warm up the sticker and start pealing it off. When it's warm, it'll come right off in one piece. The decal is designed to stick onto automotive paint without hurting it, like a sticky vinyl wrap, but it's also designed to 'break away' as a one-time use for security so you see the VOID stickers left behind on the paint. Once you've pealed off the main sticker, spray some Goo-Gone onto a rag and wipe/saturate the VOID stickers and let it sit for a few minutes. You could just spray Goo-Gone onto the bumper, but the rag keeps any overspray from occurring. After a few minutes, wipe the VOID stickers away with a clean microfiber towel and everything will come completely off. Clean the surface up and you're good to go. I like to use some wax to keep is shiny (it'll already be shiny and clean after cleaning up the Goo-Gone, but I like to use wax anyways).

It's extremely simple and does what it's designed to do. Don't apply it to plastic parts of it can discolor the black moldings. If you put it on glass, use a plastic razor to get it off so you don't scratch the glass. IMO, you can use PPF if you want to but it makes pealing off the decal super easy, and believe it or not there's a bunch of thieves out there that go around trying to peal off HOV decals on parked cars. If they get ahold of yours when it's on some PPF, then it's their lucky day.

Also, reapplying for replacement decals through the DMV is pretty easy. You just need to send in the paperwork showing why you need new decals. I've had to do it on a car sale and also after my rear bumper had to be repainted. For whatever reason, the DMV is fast to send you replacement stickers, but take their sweet time processing your initial application for the decals.

This was from my old 530e when I was switching it from a green decal to a red decal awhile back.

HOV-decal-removal-2.jpg

Reactions: Fraslin
Just got the California carpool sticker in the mail. Will it be easy to take off later on (or will it be hard and leave residue)?

Any suggestions on how to prevent this? Thank you!
Magnet strip from Amazon:

or Clean Cling film

Magnet strip from Amazon:

or Clean Cling film

I was gonna suggest this. better off with a magnet.