Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Registration Penalties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to buy a used Tesla in California from Tesla.

California has a tool where you can figure out fees associated with a used vehicle: Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator

Keying in every VIN I've tried, many vehicles aren't registered for the current year (in most cases, it's 4-6 months overdue) and consequently has several hundred dollars in penalties. That means that if I buy a used vehicle from Tesla, I will have to pay both the registration for the current year, while only getting approximately 6 months of use out of it both about $330 in penalties because Tesla didn't register it. Between the penalties and paying for registration during the time (registration fees being about $750, and this being half of that) I didn't own the car, that's about $750 or so.

Is this something Tesla will cover or is this just something you should expect to pay? Anybody have experience with this?

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Interesting. I just tried two, currently visible via ev-cpo. 5YJSA4H25FF088542 was fine, but 5YJSA1E20FF116623 had $339 in penalties tacked on. I live in California. 116623 is located in California. Looks to me like if I want to buy it, I'd have to eat those penalties. Between this and the apparent horror of the CPO process, I'm starting to feel uneasy about my plan to buy a "CPO" MS later this year. OTOH, there's the car....my God, the car......

Last edited:
The available cars might have been sold out of state which makes the fees mute.
That's a good point although my guess is the vast majority of California used teslas get sold and registered by Californians.

Interesting. I just tried two, currently visible via ev-cpo. 5YJSA4H25FF088542 was fine, but 5YJSA1E20FF116623 had $339 in penalties tacked on. I live in California. 116623 is located in California. Looks to me like if I want to buy it, I'd have to eat those penalties. Between this and the apparent horror of the CPO process, I'm starting to feel uneasy about my plan to buy a "CPO" MS later this year.

It's sleazy because Tesla is essentially misleading people about the price, but it's usually a difference of less than a thousand bucks. That's not necessarily a make or break kind of thing, but it's something to consider.

That doesn't make sense, cars owned by dealers don't have to be registered do they?
Doesn't seem like it, at least for California.

I bought a used '13 Leaf in mid-July 2015 from a used car dealer that won it at a Manheim auction (was a 2 year lease return). My registration always seems to start and end with 6/24 (e.g. 6/24/2018 to 6/24/2019). So, when I had to pay registration as part of buying the car used, I really had to pay for some of the time it wasn't in my possession. :(

I'm not sure if I ended up paying any penalties due to this.