Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California sales tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine bought a Model S, and though he lives in Houston, he had to pay a California sales tax, and then a Texas use tax. My MY is on its way, and they have given me the payoff price, but say that taxes and fees are extra. I have, of course, written to the local sales office, and asked if the local (Pennsylvania) tax is included in the number, but they have not responded -- no surprise there. Has anyone else, and particularly those in Western PA, had to pay a California tax regardless of where they live?? If so, can you get that refunded??

A friend of mine bought a Model S, and though he lives in Houston, he had to pay a California sales tax, and then a Texas use tax. My MY is on its way, and they have given me the payoff price, but say that taxes and fees are extra. I have, of course, written to the local sales office, and asked if the local (Pennsylvania) tax is included in the number, but they have not responded -- no surprise there. Has anyone else, and particularly those in Western PA, had to pay a California tax regardless of where they live?? If so, can you get that refunded??
You pay tax in the state of registration so if your friend lives in California and registers the car there he'll pay California taxes. I'm in Texas, took delivery of my car in Texas, registered the car in Texas and paid tax in Texas - no way could I (or would I) pay tax in California.

Your friend is blowing hot air up your skirt. You pay taxes for the state where you live. If you don’t live in CA, you don’t pay CA taxes. For states like Texas (who does not allow Tesla to sell) you must pay taxes separate and cannot finance them into the loan.

Where did he take delivery of the car? If California then he paid sales tax.