Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone educate me on the difference between getting the sticker now versus getting a 2022 sticker.
Is it just another year, or are there additional benefits?
You get up 9 extra months (assuming decal received 1/1/2022 vs one received 12/31/2021), given the max program expiration date is 9/30/2025. You also will get a color other than Blue although it's still unknown what color. Some people are banking on the program being extended, but it's looking unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdq_11
11.3 mailed app to dmv
11.22 check cashed.

Should have waited until the very end of the year to send my application in. Now I won’t get the new decal
This makes me nervous now. I just mailed mine this week (Monday). With the holidays I figured it wouldn’t be processed until January at the earliest.

Well, you win some you lose some. We’ll see how the next 5 weeks go I guess.

Just saw this…. Not sure what to believe.

53205EDA-5262-4737-8DB0-A729593DEE8C.jpeg

I sent it on 11/15 and it got cashed in on 11/23. So they are processing them very quickly. Do not do the same mistake that I did. Wait until end of December before you send them in
Wow.... 1 week from mailed to cashed. I've never seen the DMV process anything that fast in the past.

At this point I put a stop payment request in for my check (mailed 11/22). DMV may charge a declined check fee ($30?), but if it saves me 6-9 months of HOV lane access then it's totally worth it. I'll mail a new application in on 1/1/2022 I guess.

I sent it on 11/15 and it got cashed in on 11/23. So they are processing them very quickly. Do not do the same mistake that I did. Wait until end of December before you send them in
Thanks for the update. Combined with the tweet, I'm pretty sure this means someone screwed up and took a pile of applications that came in last and processed it first. No way DMV works this fast even with lower demand for stickers.

Thanks for the update. Combined with the tweet, I'm pretty sure this means someone screwed up and took a pile of applications that came in last and processed it first. No way DMV works this fast even with lower demand for stickers.
I would not be too sure. When I called earlier - they said the slowdown was due to folks having to process these in multiple steps due to WFH. They may be back in office and working quicker now.

I got my car on the 17th of September and I am still waiting for my plates and registration to come in :(

Anyone else still waiting this long?
I took delivery 9/9, still no plates, Tesla center actually called me 11/19 telling me they need to resubmit the dmv paperwork, my guess is they lost it although claiming it was submitted when I previously asked.. so I went back in to sign everything again, no doubt the plates will now arrive after the temporary registration expires

I took delivery 9/9, still no plates, Tesla center actually called me 11/19 telling me they need to resubmit the dmv paperwork, my guess is they lost it although claiming it was submitted when I previously asked.. so I went back in to sign everything again, no doubt the plates will now arrive after the temporary registration expires
You can submit the HOV paperwork with temp plates. Though waiting seems to be the best move now.

I got my car on the 17th of September and I am still waiting for my plates and registration to come in :(

Anyone else still waiting this long?
I took delivery on 22nd Sep and I haven't received the plates/registration. I called Tesla SC and they told me that the paperwork was submitted. I talked to DMV about the registration status and according to DMV, Tesla hasn't submitted the title document which is necessary to complete the transfer. Now I'm dealing with awful Tesla customer service to figure out what's going on.

I took delivery 9/9, still no plates, Tesla center actually called me 11/19 telling me they need to resubmit the dmv paperwork, my guess is they lost it although claiming it was submitted when I previously asked.. so I went back in to sign everything again, no doubt the plates will now arrive after the temporary registration expire
I called Tesla and they sent another email to the registration department at Tesla. They arent worried since my temps dont expire until mid december but i want it ASAP!

I took delivery on 22nd Sep and I haven't received the plates/registration. I called Tesla SC and they told me that the paperwork was submitted. I talked to DMV about the registration status and according to DMV, Tesla hasn't submitted the title document which is necessary to complete the transfer. Now I'm dealing with awful Tesla customer service to figure out what's going on.
Tesla was supposed to open a case for me couple of days back. I called today to get an update but they haven't opened any case and promised to create one today.

• Informative
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff