Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with BayArea FasTrak on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a FasTrak CAV tag for my 2021 Model Y and am having ongoing problems with being charged tolls on the 680 HOV lane despite the tag being set to 2 or 3 people. I've got the tag mounted behind the rear-view mirror on the right side. It alternates between not reading the tag at all (and thus my license plate shows up on the bill, rather than the transponder ID) or shows the transponder but I'm still charged the full rate.
This is happening on 680 between Livorna and 580. I had a similar problem with another car with a metallic windshield but was eventually able to find a spot where the tag could be read.
Has anyone else been experiencing this problem? I'm not sure if it's a problem with the tags, the windshield or possibly even the overhead toll readers being misconfigured.

I have it at the top of the windshield on the right side of the mirror/camera cover. So far, no issues. It’s also part way covered by the radar detector. I can send a picture if you like. So far, no issues with 680. I used to leave it lying on the dash and it would only read intermittently.

Madsen203 - yes, if you could send a photo of the tag location that would be appreciated.
6A594DD2-E8CB-46C6-B292-4FA7EE04833B.jpeg

Reactions: e645824
Contra Costa 680 has been a nightmare for me and my neighbor who commute it regularly. After tons of emails, phone calls, replaced CAV toll tags and even intervention by "7 on your side" I finally settled on using the larger older style non-CAV flex tag from my old Camry. This works every time if I mount it to the right of the rear view mirror. Neither of my 2 CAV tags worked in any location from the frunk to the roof to everywhere else I could possibly put it. I now set the old style one to 3 passengers and ride for free in CoCo 680 carpool lanes (I specify CoCo County and I'm suspicious that it more problematic that other parts of the Bay Area).

Only problem with using the old style Flex tag is you get charged full price on bridges when it should be $3.50. To avoid this I started carrying both in my car but put one in the mylar bag. Unfortunately the last 2 times I went over 2 different bridges holding my CAV tag out the window did not work and I was still charged the full $7. Any tips dealing with this mess greatly appreciated!

Contra Costa 680 has been a nightmare for me and my neighbor who commute it regularly. After tons of emails, phone calls, replaced CAV toll tags and even intervention by "7 on your side" I finally settled on using the larger older style non-CAV flex tag from my old Camry. This works every time if I mount it to the right of the rear view mirror. Neither of my 2 CAV tags worked in any location from the frunk to the roof to everywhere else I could possibly put it. I now set the old style one to 3 passengers and ride for free in CoCo 680 carpool lanes (I specify CoCo County and I'm suspicious that it more problematic that other parts of the Bay Area).

Only problem with using the old style Flex tag is you get charged full price on bridges when it should be $3.50. To avoid this I started carrying both in my car but put one in the mylar bag. Unfortunately the last 2 times I went over 2 different bridges holding my CAV tag out the window did not work and I was still charged the full $7. Any tips dealing with this mess greatly appreciated!

"you get charged full price on bridges when it should be $3.50"

I didn't know you get discount on bridge toll. I was told that even EV cars have to pay the full toll for bridges. CAV tag allows toll free for express lane only. No?

I have 5 total currently 3 are the newer slim ones and which work intermittently. The 2 older squares work better to be honest. I travel from UC to SJ daily in the express lanes and depending on which sensor it is, they may or may not work.

Do y’all have them mounted right of the rear view mirror?

I’ll have to check my invoice to make sure it’s charging correctly.

I also noticed that, with exception of 580, you still pay for fast rack lanes but it’s discounted. Same with Bridge toll. CAV sticker is only good for non fastrack lane and 580 lanes.

Per website: Solo drivers in eligible CAVs must pay a toll in the 101 San Mateo, 101/SR-85 Santa Clara, I-680 Contra Costa, I-880 and SR-237 express lanes, but will receive a 50% discount off the toll by using a FasTrak CAV toll tag.

It's because you don't have a CAV fastrak. The picture you have is the regular fastrak.View attachment 829380
I believe @Madsen203 said he had “no issues” so I presume he has the CAV, but just has one of the older flex transponders. The only visual difference between the regular and CAV is a yellow “CAV” sticker which is easy to remove. I know this because I ordered a regular and CAV version at the same time (in April) and they both looked like the bottom version in your post.

As far as my own experience with this transponder, I find that mine occasionally does not get read and I get charged based on my license plate. I never had a problem with the older transponders.

I believe @Madsen203 said he had “no issues” so I presume he has the CAV, but just has one of the older flex transponders. The only visual difference between the regular and CAV is a yellow “CAV” sticker which is easy to remove. I know this because I ordered a regular and CAV version at the same time (in April) and they both looked like the bottom version in your post.

As far as my own experience with this transponder, I find that mine occasionally does not get read and I get charged based on my license plate. I never had a problem with the older transponders.

Do you get 50% discount on bay bridge with your CAV tag? Mine doesn't. Mine gets free toll on 237 express lane though.

Couldn’t tell you, since I have only had it for a few months and haven’t crossed any bridges. From the fastrak website, all bridges should offer a discount except the Golden Gate. I have confirmed that I do get a discount on the express lanes.

The link below seems to suggest that you have to be on carpool lane during commute hours to get the discount. Otherwise, you will pay the full toll like I have.

Reactions: pepperoni