Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla was supposed to open a case for me couple of days back. I called today to get an update but they haven't opened any case and promised to create one today.
Out of curiosity, did you have the title application paperwork in your Account -> Car -> Glovebox section?

Mine vanished right around accepting delivery in the driveway, and I suspect I've been skipped over as well (though just at 30 days, counting holidays)

Out of curiosity, did you have the title application paperwork in your Account -> Car -> Glovebox section?

Mine vanished right around accepting delivery in the driveway, and I suspect I've been skipped over as well (though just at 30 days, counting holidays)
what's the name of that doc? I have 6 doc in the glovebox: manual, order agreement, lemon law, MVPA, CCFR, and insurance proof. I don't see anything specific to title.

HOV sticker application sent: 11/12
Check cashed: 11/24

I think I see it in my USPS Informed Delivery w/issue date of 11/30. Ugh, oh well.
Honestly, if you think of it this way 2025 would have only been 9 months (not 12), and if there was a significant wait at the beginning fo 2022 (4 months for processing the stickers) and you now have them for all of December, then you really are only missing out on 4 months. It's not the end of the world.

Edit: I wonder if they have a ton of blue stickers still and they want to make use of them prior to not being valid to issue out any longer.

Last edited:
I received my plates almost 30 days to the day after delivery in SoCal. This is all I see online.

1638569006493.png

• Informative
Reactions: theatrus
HOV sticker application sent: 11/12
Check cashed: 11/24

I think I see it in my USPS Informed Delivery w/issue date of 11/30. Ugh, oh well.
Is that right it only took 12 days? Previously it was 3 months rights? So you’re getting the 2021 sticker instead of the 2022? That sucks. I should wait until the end of December to submit then. Thanks for the heads up.

Another thing I noticed, the 2022 Model Y is not on this list of approved Teslas. I only see the model 3 and S. Can we still submit the application for the 2022 Y or wait until it’s added to the list?

Pre-signing there was "Application for Title" and "Odometer Disclosure" - you're in the same boat as me. I don't know if the others are supposed to show up or not :)
Have you financed with non-Tesla bank? According to my conversation with a Tesla rep on Friday the delay was due to Bank of America's (my lender) title processing delay (though I haven't verified this with BoA yet).

Sent my application on 11/16. Received the stickers today. Ugh. From everything I read, I thought they'd take 3 months. The only silver lining will be if next year's color sucks because blue is not bad. Just wish I didn't wait so long only to lose out on 9 months of eligibility. Also, I don't even take the freeway for my commute, so it's not like I really needed them. Still very bummed.

Why doesn't everyone sending applications in right now stop payment on the check until 1/1? Don't get why you'd risk it. I don't even have to go to the bank to do this, I can do it online. And while I doubt any bank has a "Stop Payment Until" feature (since this isn't the purpose of the stop payment feature) you can always lift the stop payment manually as though you "found" the check.

Why doesn't everyone sending applications in right now stop payment on the check until 1/1? Don't get why you'd risk it. I don't even have to go to the bank to do this, I can do it online. And while I doubt any bank has a "Stop Payment Until" feature (since this isn't the purpose of the stop payment feature) you can always lift the stop payment manually as though you "found" the check.
This is what I did. I’m not sure how DMV will handle it. Will they process the application but hold the stickers waiting for a valid payment? That is my biggest concern. I hope they mail back the application with the check and the $30 dmv declined payment fee.

I’ll report back once I see any action. Mailed in my application and check on 11/22. Stopped payment on 11/29.

Check didn’t clear my account before the stop payment. So it should be declined by my bank for sure. 🤷‍♂️

I’ll remote the stop payment if I don’t see anything by 1/1.

Reactions: STS-134
This is what I did. I’m not sure how DMV will handle it. Will they process the application but hold the stickers waiting for a valid payment? That is my biggest concern. I hope they mail back the application with the check and the $30 dmv declined payment fee.
I would think they might process the application, but they can't issue the stickers until they get paid. And if you can delay the issuance until after 1/1, you should get the new color. But yeah, this should be an interesting test.

Honestly, if you think of it this way 2025 would have only been 9 months (not 12), and if there was a significant wait at the beginning fo 2022 (4 months for processing the stickers) and you now have them for all of December, then you really are only missing out on 4 months. It's not the end of the world.

Edit: I wonder if they have a ton of blue stickers still and they want to make use of them prior to not being valid to issue out any longer.
Very true and a great way to look at it. After being initially bummed I thought about it and there aren’t many cases where I’d prefer to use the carpool lane while driving solo. Plus Autopilot makes sitting in 405 traffic a breeze IMO.

Is that right it only took 12 days? Previously it was 3 months rights? So you’re getting the 2021 sticker instead of the 2022? That sucks. I should wait until the end of December to submit then. Thanks for the heads up.
Yep, got the blue stickers. Wonder why all of a sudden it’s being processed so fast.

50 days in and no plates, decided to prod support, who "didn't see the usual eSign paperwork in the account". They offered to have the local store call me (via whatever messaging they have), which... didn't happen.

Stopped by in person, where they were quick to figure out I had somehow fallen between the cracks and didn't have a paper copy of the title application nor an eSigned application. They were able to do a wet signature application on the spot, issuing new temp plates and all.

I guess it pays to check and not just wait :)