Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California to Mexico City and back. Feasible or too difficult?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, in the end it appears to be the cost of the insurance that scuttles the idea (at least for now.) Insuring the car for two weeks in Mexico appears to cost about half as much as a whole year's insurance at home. That will easily cover a rental car, gas, and part of the plane tickets. Sigh. Maybe I will revisit the idea in a few years after the super charger network has built out a bit more south of the border.
regardless of the filling in of the SpC network I don't think that the costs of insuring the car for mexico will vary much.

I would not completely discount the drive because of charging. We are new to the Midwest and decided to drive around lake Michigan last summer. On the upper end things get rural and no super chargers. Even very limited charging stations on plugshare. But you know what, we enjoyed the drive because the hunting for higher power plugs puts one in touch with local people in a completely different way. We met lots of interesting people who were all willing to help. In one case I found a higher power plug next to a stage and had to drive over 10 feet of grass to get to a concrete platform next to the outlet. Well the next morning we received a ticked for driving on grass, tracked down the police man who didn't know about electric cars, took him for a short drive and he relaxed a little (Michigan State Police). Still had to pay the nominal fine.

So once equipped with a bunch of converter cables exploring the world outside of super chargers is quite possible. I don't know enough about the mexico part. But somebody must use welding equipment from time to time?

But we thoroughly enjoyed the local people interaction once off the supercharger grid....

Washington Island Airport:

Attachments

• 143417.jpg
    143417.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Well, in the end it appears to be the cost of the insurance that scuttles the idea (at least for now.) Insuring the car for two weeks in Mexico appears to cost about half as much as a whole year's insurance at home. That will easily cover a rental car, gas, and part of the plane tickets. Sigh. Maybe I will revisit the idea in a few years after the super charger network has built out a bit more south of the border.
Let's join in asking Tesla ho heat up the Panamerican Highway!

If you can manage the insurance costs, driving to DF from the U.S. just became a lot quicker with the opening of the Matehuala Supercharger. I'd love to hear stories from the first Tesla owners to make the trip.

After having spent a week in CDMX at the end of February, I’m not sure I’d want to take my Model S into the city. We ended up using Cabify (a ride-share service) and got around all week for about $50 US. I’d still love to do this trip, but it’s not going to happen soon.

After having spent a week in CDMX at the end of February, I’m not sure I’d want to take my Model S into the city. We ended up using Cabify (a ride-share service) and got around all week for about $50 US. I’d still love to do this trip, but it’s not going to happen soon.

Ride sharing is the best idea in CDMX.

Btw, you are technically not even allowed to take a foreign plated car into the CDMX area during the majority of weekdays

Police will stop you anyway and assume you don't know the rules.

You can imagine further procedures.

Don't count on police speaking english.