Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling on Audiophiles: Lossless, High-Res and Dolby Atmos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviving this thread with the impending implementation of ATMOS. Hoping very much that it includes multichannel FLAC support.

Yes! Me too.

Now Atmos is like 7.1 and in some forms expect over your head speakers. Not sure how Tesla's speaker arrangement will fit exactly, but I guess ATMOS spec could include some "make do with what we got" scenarios. Most of the multi-channel FLAC media I have is either 5.0 or 5.1 not 7.1 / ATMOS.
By the way, I think the ".1" is implemented different ways in different systems. To me, the best implementation would be auto detection that there is no energy in the .1 (sub) channel and do some auto-reconstruction by extracting low frequency content from the side channels and redirecting it to the subwoofer. Not sure the best way to do that, but I would assume Tesla has some programmable DSP that could do something fancy when needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardL
How is ATMOS being implemented exactly? Is this like the Apple Music rumour that never comes true?

I think we don't know. It is more of a brand label than a very specific technology spec.
There could be all sorts of related questions like which sources (Apple Music? Spotify? Tidal? Netflix? Disney+?, USB FLAC, etc.) will be working for "input", which kind of multi-channel decoding is possible (ATMOS? Dolby-Digital? DTS? AC3?) and then how it gets directed to the various speakers in the car. (5.1? 7.1? A-pillar surround effects speakers for over head content, etc, etc.) I am just viewing the announcement as them saying they will support multi-channel playback in some form, and will wait to learn the specifics.
Maybe by saying ATMOS they are implying that Dolby has been tweaking some algorithms directly on Tesla vehicles to use their audio expertise to optimize the listening experience.

Apple Music addition is huge as I can drop Tidal. Anyone knows what happens to Tidal music you have downloaded when you quit the app subscription? Do the files stay in the MCU storage or are they deleted when you no longer have a Tidal account?

Apple Music addition is huge as I can drop Tidal. Anyone knows what happens to Tidal music you have downloaded when you quit the app subscription? Do the files stay in the MCU storage or are they deleted when you no longer have a Tidal account?
I've been able to delete them by signing out of Tidal, then doing the two thumb salute on the steering wheel. When you go back into Tidal they are gone. This is actually the only way I know to delete the files that get downloaded when live streaming "hifi" quality music with Tidal in the car. It downloads a copy by default but unlike when you download an album or playlist, there is no "delete" button and they don't show in your "download" tab.

Reactions: heavyD