Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High resolution audiophile flac file playback, 24bit audio solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I was a bit miffed that I could not listen to high resolution flac files when I got my Model Y a couple of years ago.
Connect USB storage, 24/96 and 24/192 flac files appear in the playlist but only produces a file read error when I try to play the selection.

The solution...

I re-encoded my flac files to a sample rate which is a multiple of 44.1kHz, that is: 88.2 or 176.4 kHz
Thus I would slightly downsample 24/96 to 24/88.2 and 24/192 to 24/176.4 kHz
These play fine and sound great on the Tesla infotainment system.

Not sure why that is, I've never encountered a DAC which behaves this way.
If anyone knows I'd be interested in the reason - but if you don't mind the extra work of resampling your audio for the USB stick, it is at least something!

P.S.
I use sox for this job, e.g.:
sox song-at-24-192.flac -r 176400 song-at-24-176.flac
sox song-at-24-96.flac -r 88200 song-at-24-88.flac
Writing a shell script to convert and place the files in a directory, ready to copy to the USB device makes it a little less of a hassle.

• Informative
Reactions: fhteagle
I use dBpoweramp for conversion.

Good discovery. Thanks for sharing.

i have seen this multiples 44.1 before dealing with SACD or something.

If your system is 48khz based resampling from 44khz causes problems. Since most music is 44.1 you are better off the system be 44.1 based and not have to resample in most cases or do simple resampling if its a multiple of 44.1.

Be curious if the system is just downsampling to 44.1 I wonder if there is a test you can do to confirm what resolution is actually making it through.

Curious if more than 16bit gets through too. Just because it reads it doesn’t mean it’s making it to your ears.