Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calls Not Coming Through Car Speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

This problem doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when I get a call while driving or make a call while driving, the sound doesn't come through the speakers of the car. When this has happened i've tried switching through the phone to the "model 3" speaker and that did not help. I've also tried hanging up and calling back a few times to see if that helped but it does not. Any ideas on how to fix this?

• Helpful
Reactions: ericbs
Hello all,

This problem doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when I get a call while driving or make a call while driving, the sound doesn't come through the speakers of the car. When this has happened i've tried switching through the phone to the "model 3" speaker and that did not help. I've also tried hanging up and calling back a few times to see if that helped but it does not. Any ideas on how to fix this?
I had this problem, but then realized that the volume was turned e

I had this problem, but then realized that the volume was turned e

haha definitely not the issue here, the sound is coming from my phone speaker.

I had the same trouble. I found that choosing handsfree then bluetooth on the phone (in the dialler app - on android) fixed the issue. That said since the latest firmware it seems to be working OK now

thanks for the reply, i'm using an iphone 7 which is a bit different and i've tried switching on the phone for each output type, iphone/speaker/model 3 and none of that worked.

This morning i made a couple calls using the Car dialer and it worked fine *shrugs*

This thread's original posts are from September of 2018. Since then, the problem has gone from intermittent to universal for some people, as covered in this newer thread:

Bluetooth problems on phone calls only

The problem seems to be most common for people running LineageOS and some other fully open source Android builds; but some OEM Android builds and some iOS/iPhone versions are affected, too. AFAIK, there is as yet no fix, except for some people (myself included) who've managed to find a working Android build. For me, the problem went from intermittent (affecting about 50% of all calls) to universal (affecting 100%) with the Tesla 2019.12.x releases.

I suggest you file a bug report with Tesla, since this appears to be more of a Tesla bug than a phone bug, given the wide range of affected phones and the fact that affected phones work fine with other devices (other cars, Bluetooth headsets, etc.).