Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera’s while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, very new to Tesla, picked up our Model Y last Friday. My question is about when you are driving and the touchscreen shows all the cars around you, front and sides, should it also show the cars travelling behind you? Mine doesn’t and find this a little odd considering I can see all other car images around me.
Thank you

Hello, very new to Tesla, picked up our Model Y last Friday. My question is about when you are driving and the touchscreen shows all the cars around you, front and sides, should it also show the cars travelling behind you? Mine doesn’t and find this a little odd considering I can see all other car images around me.
Thank you
It does see and show cars behind you, but the the perspective of the image on the screen is such that you can't normally see the cars behind. Next time you are stopped in traffic or at a traffic light tap on the image of your car and swipe it around. You can change the camera perspective for a few seconds until it reverts back and you will be able to see cars behind you.

I think Tesla doesn't normally show you cars behind you because they don't normally affect your driving (or the car's driving).

Upvote 0
It does see and show cars behind you, but the the perspective of the image on the screen is such that you can't normally see the cars behind. Next time you are stopped in traffic or at a traffic light tap on the image of your car and swipe it around. You can change the camera perspective for a few seconds until it reverts back and you will be able to see cars behind you.

I think Tesla doesn't normally show you cars behind you because they don't normally affect your driving (or the car's driving).
Thank you

Upvote 0
Thank you
Welcome!

FSD shows all the cars around you. There are a few examples in this article (from 2021):

I've also seen stunning examples of a sea of cars visualized behind a Tesla on YouTube.

The visualizations with basic autopilot are quite poor in comparison. Way fewer cars are visualized. IIRC oncoming cars in the opposite lane used to show up (a year or so ago) but they don't anymore. I think cars in your blind spots still show up in the visualization. There is even a feature in autopilot to change the color of those cars to red if you have a blinker on and they are in your blind spot.

If you don't need to use the navigation map, one trick is to have the rear and side camera feeds up on the screen.

Upvote 0