Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera cleaning driving in snow storms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you stop the car and get out and clean it yourself every 5 minutes. There is nothing that can clean itself while driving through the snowstorm or dirty snow and dirt.
100% agree. And a radar also would not help. I can confirm that a radar based adaptive cruise control stops working in a snowstorm also after a few minutes. And, don't forget to clean your headlights. I suppose that Model Y does not have heated LED headlights, so they will be probably covered by snow in about 10 minutes.

100% agree. And a radar also would not help. I can confirm that a radar based adaptive cruise control stops working in a snowstorm also after a few minutes. And, don't forget to clean your headlights. I suppose that Model Y does not have heated LED headlights, so they will be probably covered by snow in about 10 minutes.
Anyone using cruise control or autopilot while it’s snowing probably shouldn’t be driving while it’s snowing.

I agree, you need to occasionally manually clean off the back of the car just to see out and retain the backup camera, and if you’re running more aggressive winter tires you may even need to clean off the sides of the car depending on conditions (I’ve had some interesting vertical zebra stripes of dirty frozen rock hard slush a few times). Using any technology that tries to hold a given speed on icy or snowy roads is a bad idea though.

Reactions: Jiver