Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camp site charging, unless sleeping in the car L1 is just fine.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Just been camping with my wife for the second time. First time was "car camping" using an EXPED mattress in the back of the MYP and camp mode climate control all night with a 50 amp 240V hookup at the campgrounds for one overnight, we were able to drive home non-stop from that trip without having to supercharge. This time we decided to tent camp since the weather is better. We have one of the tents that can go around the back of a hatchback vehicle, and the original intent was to use the car as the "bedroom" and the tent for everything else... but the camp ground we are set up at has different layouts for the different plots, the one we were assigned the place to park the car is at a weird angle and off to one edge of the tent area, so it was impossible to align the car with the tent. Instead of sleeping in the car we moved the mattress into the tent to sleep.

On to the point. Anyone who L1 charges on a regular basis already knows this, but in "mild" weather (70's day time, 50's night time) weather on L1 (120V 12 amp) our MYP gains 1.5% of SOC for each hour that it is plugged in. So, if you plug in the moment you arrive and stay plugged in until you leave (23 hours) you can gain 34% SOC in a one day camping stay,

So, lets say you are into "real" out in the middle of no where camping and it takes you 100% to get from the nearest supercharger to your camp site (200 to 250 miles depending on driving speed), and you only have 120V 12 amp available... you need to plan on spending at least 3 days camping, or driving much slower on the return trip :)

For less extreme examples just figure 1/3 of the battery gained (70 to 80 miles of range) per day of camping.

TL : DR On L1 charging in mild weather you gain 1/3 of battery per day of charging.

Later,

Keith

Camp uphill from the Supercharger. Easy peasy. :)

I've stayed at a couple AirBnBs with the same circumstance. They were pretty far from the nearest Supercharger, but we were parked for days at a time and pretty much always had a full (set limit) charge.

I'd anticipate most campgrounds having better than 15A as an option. It might be a TT-30 but hopefully a 14-50. The TT-30 obviously cutting charge time in half, and the 14-50 getting a full charge in less than 10 hours.

It's definitely worth calling ahead to the campground to verify what's available or even make a reservation. Where were you camping that it only had a 15A option?

It's definitely worth calling ahead to the campground to verify what's available or even make a reservation. Where were you camping that it only had a 15A option?

Same camp site where I charged on a 240 volt 50 amp plug the last time I camped :) The "tent camping" plots only have 120 volts available, the camper / trailer plots have 240 volt either 30 amp or 50 amp.

Keith

Same camp site where I charged on a 240 volt 50 amp plug the last time I camped :) The "tent camping" plots only have 120 volts available, the camper / trailer plots have 240 volt either 30 amp or 50 amp.

Keith
Usually a trailer plot with 30A service requires the travel trailer (TT) 30A plug adapter. TT-30 is a 120V, 30A outlet. Tesla does not sell a TT-30 plug adapter but you can purchase a TT-30 plug adapter for the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector from EVSE Adapters.

If the 120V receptacle at the tent site is a "20 amp", the Tesla 5-20 UMC adapter will provide some additional power over using the 5-15 adapter. You can tell a 5-20 receptacle because the slot for the neutral blade will have a sideways "T" shape to allow a 5-20 plug to be used. And yes, "30 amp" in RV terminology means "TT-30" - 120V, 30 amp.

Reactions: Rocky_H