Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping mattress to sleep in Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone has used this product in their Model Y for camping, it's a self-inflating air mattress: link

My family of 2 adults + 1 infant is going car camping and since it might be chilly at night we'll use the car camp mode. I'm debating whether to get the double size (52" width) vs 2 cots size (25" each), but not sure which one will fit inside the car better since the Model Y has a narrow taper towards the trunk (rear wheel well). Any suggestions?

The alternative is to get a mattress specifically cut out for the model Y, but our future plan is to sleep mostly in the tents and not in the car, so wouldn't want something that's single purpose.

I use a 4" Ikea foam twin size mattress, two nice pillows. sheets, and blanket.

The mattress width is the same as the distance between the two rear wheelhouse.
When not in use, I can roll the mattress behind the back of the rear seat, so I still have most of the trunk available.
And I put the two pillows. sheets, and blanket into the frunk.

Ikea Twin Foam .jpg

Can the foam mattress be stuffed inside the subtrunk or is it too big for that?

I never tried folding it, so I don't know if it could fit inside the subtrunk, but I really doubt it.
Beside I build a lockable box into my subtrunk, so I can store tools, jacks, and repair tire kits,
so they don't get stolen if I have my car at the shop or if I use a valet parking.

If you roll the mattress tight with some straps, you get a 18" to 24" cylinder shape, 38" long,
that can fit easilly behind the rear back seat. I guess this takes about 1/4 of the trunk.
You can still put stuff above the mattress when rolled.

Last edited:
The MegaMat duo style mattress is 100% the way to go in my experience. We've used just about every option out there and this self-inflating foam mattress style is the best for comfort and portability. I feel compelled to say that there are other manufacturers who are making the same thing for the Model 3/Y and the S/X which is something that MegaMat has no interest in. I know because I reached out to them in an effort to assist and received crickets as a response.

Due to that, I reached out to a couple of the other known manufacturers and one, LostHorizon, responded and was willing to work with me to create a S/X version. You can use the 3/Y version but it's not quite the best fit and ends up further forward than is ideal. Due to that, I've been working with LostHorizon to take measurements and test since last year. Note, I'm not otherwise affiliate or paid by them at all. Just wanted a better product for my own use.

With my testing of various traditional air mattresses, Dreamcase, tri-fold memory foam mattresses and this final foam/air version I have to say that this last option is far and away my favorite for portability, storage and (most important for my wife and I) comfort. If you're younger you likely won't care as much unless you're trip is for an extended period. The Tri-fold is similar (or slightly better) for comfort but it's massive. Like, bigger than you're likely even thinking right now.

It's $250 plus tax/shipping and we feel as though it's worth it compared to the other options. That said, I happen to have one of these for the Model X/Y that was used only very briefly if anyone is interested. I'd box it up and send it to someone for $200 shipped if anyone wants it. I know this isn't a for sale thread so please PM me if you're interested.

The MegaMat duo style mattress is 100% the way to go in my experience. We've used just about every option out there and this self-inflating foam mattress style is the best for comfort and portability.

Honestly, I could not sleep on an air mattress. The surface is too hard, like sleeping on a tire inner tube.
Does the MegaMat has some kind of foam layer on top of it?
Note: You can get an air mattress for 2 x $50 at REI.

For me an air mattress real advantage is its light weigh and size when going hiking.
Otherwise I prefer a softer mattress with foam.

Last edited:
Honestly, I could not sleep on an air mattress. The surface is too hard, like sleeping on a tire inner tube.

Does the MegaMat has some kind of foam layer on top of it?

Note: You can get an air mattress for 2 x $50 at REI.

It's not an air mattress. That's why I made that distinction because the air mattresses are too firm. These self-inflating air mattresses are basically a foam mattress with a skin over the top that holds air and are more foam than air in terms of comfort.

The MegaMat duo style mattress is 100% the way to go in my experience. We've used just about every option out there and this self-inflating foam mattress style is the best for comfort and portability. I feel compelled to say that there are other manufacturers who are making the same thing for the Model 3/Y and the S/X which is something that MegaMat has no interest in. I know because I reached out to them in an effort to assist and received crickets as a response.

Due to that, I reached out to a couple of the other known manufacturers and one, LostHorizon, responded and was willing to work with me to create a S/X version. You can use the 3/Y version but it's not quite the best fit and ends up further forward than is ideal. Due to that, I've been working with LostHorizon to take measurements and test since last year. Note, I'm not otherwise affiliate or paid by them at all. Just wanted a better product for my own use.

With my testing of various traditional air mattresses, Dreamcase, tri-fold memory foam mattresses and this final foam/air version I have to say that this last option is far and away my favorite for portability, storage and (most important for my wife and I) comfort. If you're younger you likely won't care as much unless you're trip is for an extended period. The Tri-fold is similar (or slightly better) for comfort but it's massive. Like, bigger than you're likely even thinking right now.

It's $250 plus tax/shipping and we feel as though it's worth it compared to the other options. That said, I happen to have one of these for the Model X/Y that was used only very briefly if anyone is interested. I'd box it up and send it to someone for $200 shipped if anyone wants it. I know this isn't a for sale thread so please PM me if you're interested.
Exped does have a model y /model x specific version of megamat. It’s on their website and on Amazon. I have provided a link couple of posts earlier.

I just received this mattress specially made for the Model Y this week. To be fair, I haven't done an overnight with it, and have only tested it, but it auto-inflates really fast, deflates itself, locks into the seatbelts for built-in pillow support and is designed to plug right into the Model Y power port for recharging if needed while it's still in its mattress configuration. Aerogogo Automatic Air Mattress for Tesla Model Y

I see. I only used it on model y.
That's what it was developed for and it's apparent if you have an S/X. They are also adamant in YouTube posts that it won't work for a Model S under any circumstances but say it works with the X in the same breath. The reality is that it doesn't. If it actually worked for an X it would also work for an S. The reality is it works for a 3/Y but not so much for an S/X. You can make it work but it's far from ideal.

Hey Ostrichsak! I actually followed you for a few months, when you starting asking last fall for a Tesla Model S camping sleep mat solution. I also noticed that everyone makes models specifically for the Model 3/Y but not the S/X.

Until a few weeks ago I saw that LostHorizon published a listing for a Model S specific pad and I wondered why they were just now creating that. But it turns out the answer is because of you! So I'm ordering one today to test out and so grateful for your work with them to get the measuremets. How does it fill the space in the Model S compared to the MegaMat Duo?

Additionally, I had three questions:
1. What do you use to level out the hump from the seat backs when folded down?​
2. What do you use for the unsupported 2nd row footwell area? If the mattress goes to the backs of the front seats isn't there a gap that can fall in?​
3. What do you use for shades/privacy blockers on the windows?​

Hey Ostrichsak! I actually followed you for a few months, when you starting asking last fall for a Tesla Model S camping sleep mat solution. I also noticed that everyone makes models specifically for the Model 3/Y but not the S/X.

Until a few weeks ago I saw that LostHorizon published a listing for a Model S specific pad and I wondered why they were just now creating that. But it turns out the answer is because of you! So I'm ordering one today to test out and so grateful for your work with them to get the measuremets. How does it fill the space in the Model S compared to the MegaMat Duo?

Additionally, I had three questions:
1. What do you use to level out the hump from the seat backs when folded down?​
2. What do you use for the unsupported 2nd row footwell area? If the mattress goes to the backs of the front seats isn't there a gap that can fall in?​
3. What do you use for shades/privacy blockers on the windows?​
It fits much better but still isn't 100% perfect IMO. Kind of an odd situation where they said they would send me a sample for testing once it was ready. Months later I reach out because I hadn't head anything with a response that they were still working on a sample. Then, out of the blue, I get an email saying it's live on their Amazon store and I can order it. I thought that was weird so I emailed back citing our original agreement and they agreed to send me one to test. Upon receiving it I noticed that the measurements weren't quite what I had send them. It still fits MUCH better than the 3/Y version but it really could have used another round of revisions to dial in.

Somewhat related, I wanted this to be an all-in-one solution for S/X which requires a thin inflatable mat underneath to make up the gap where the seats fold as well as two larger inflatable bags for behind the front seats to make up the gap where the folded back seats end. Those got lost along the way somehow even though I provided them tons of measurements and details as well as pictures of similar items created for other reasons. I brought all of this up to them but it's been radio silence mostly so... *shrugs*

I think this is really close to being a finalized polished product that I'm willing to help on and have already invested plenty of resources to the cause but it seems like they're not willing to see it through to the finish line. I lead the horse to water but... you know the rest. At this point I have little faith that this is going to get that last little bit of effort needed to make it a slam dunk solution.

1. I bought a big sheet of the foam stuff used to insulate the outside walls under external siding for residential construction. You can find it at home supply stores and they tend to be blue or pink in color. I think a sheet was like $25 and you can cut it in half and stack it two tall to fill up that gap behind the seat. This isn't easily stored when not in use and can become slightly dented damaged if you're not careful. Not an ideal solution but it works. An inflatable mattress to the same dimensions would be perfect though as you could easily break it down each day if you wanted and store it far easier when not in use.

2. Often times we'd have our bags/suitcases propped back there or various other make-shift solutions. I tried cutting a set of TV trays but they became unstable with the mods I made. I've got a set of metal/plastic TV trays that I was going to modify to the proper height as a more permanent solution. I've seen it posted online that you can buy these for a little over $100 from Amazon and cut the legs down for the proper height. I got them but never got around to modifying them.

3. I've had a few sets of the insulated shades from HeatShields and we had pretty good luck with them. One thing I didn't like is how they announced "Hey, we're camping inside of here" to anyone within a 2-block radius. I also don't think we got a ton of benefit from the insulation factor either. So for our Model Y I opted for much cheaper and black options on Amazon. I did a ton ("too much" -my wife) of research on the options and then just picked the ones that best fit our needs at the lowest price. We haven't camped yet long term but I tested them out and they seem to fit fine. An added bonus is they stow much better now w/o being super thick designed for insulation. These are purely for privacy and light blocking which is all we really wanted.

The reality is we'll likely abandon the Model S camping idea entirely. Our new Model Y will likely be the chariot of choice for longer road trips now so we've acquired all of the gear to make that an ideal camping solution. Lots of advantages over the Model S for camping so I think we're going to be very happy with it for the same types of outings.

I think this is really close to being a finalized polished product that I'm willing to help on and have already invested plenty of resources to the cause but it seems like they're not willing to see it through to the finish line.
WOW!!! Incredible detailed reply - Thanks so MUCH for taking the extra time to detail all these thoughts it's very helpful.

That's a lot of work you put in to make that happen, shame they only took it 80% of the way, it's almost like might as well not have tried if they weren't going to just go full in to make it right the first time.

Totally understand on going all-in on the Model Y. These days it seems that model especially has garnered all the attention for accessories and plenty of camping options. I would be in a Model Y myself if they were selling for cheaper on the used market.

If you really are abandoning the Model S idea let me now if you plan to sell off any accessories. Thanks again for the detailed help!