Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping mattress to sleep in Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It fits much better but still isn't 100% perfect IMO. Kind of an odd situation where they said they would send me a sample for testing once it was ready. Months later I reach out because I hadn't head anything with a response that they were still working on a sample. Then, out of the blue, I get an email saying it's live on their Amazon store and I can order it. I thought that was weird so I emailed back citing our original agreement and they agreed to send me one to test. Upon receiving it I noticed that the measurements weren't quite what I had send them. It still fits MUCH better than the 3/Y version but it really could have used another round of revisions to dial in.

Somewhat related, I wanted this to be an all-in-one solution for S/X which requires a thin inflatable mat underneath to make up the gap where the seats fold as well as two larger inflatable bags for behind the front seats to make up the gap where the folded back seats end. Those got lost along the way somehow even though I provided them tons of measurements and details as well as pictures of similar items created for other reasons. I brought all of this up to them but it's been radio silence mostly so... *shrugs*

To support the head of your mattress over the gap, a piece of cheap lightweight luan plywood (1/2") is sufficient. just make sure it extends a couple of feet under your mattress so your weight will support the cantilever. It doesn't take much. If you do have things in the foot well, then sure the last few inches. I would never use the support pillow - just takes up too much space. For my Prius V, where the back seat doesn't fold flat, I made a bed using the lightweight luan 1/2". Ran 1" strips about 2 inches in from the sides as 'beams' to stiffen it. Propped it up level. at the headrest and about mid calf. Worked great for years.

I think this is really close to being a finalized polished product that I'm willing to help on and have already invested plenty of resources to the cause but it seems like they're not willing to see it through to the finish line. I lead the horse to water but... you know the rest. At this point I have little faith that this is going to get that last little bit of effort needed to make it a slam dunk solution.

1. I bought a big sheet of the foam stuff used to insulate the outside walls under external siding for residential construction. You can find it at home supply stores and they tend to be blue or pink in color. I think a sheet was like $25 and you can cut it in half and stack it two tall to fill up that gap behind the seat. This isn't easily stored when not in use and can become slightly dented damaged if you're not careful. Not an ideal solution but it works. An inflatable mattress to the same dimensions would be perfect though as you could easily break it down each day if you wanted and store it far easier when not in use.

2. Often times we'd have our bags/suitcases propped back there or various other make-shift solutions. I tried cutting a set of TV trays but they became unstable with the mods I made. I've got a set of metal/plastic TV trays that I was going to modify to the proper height as a more permanent solution. I've seen it posted online that you can buy these for a little over $100 from Amazon and cut the legs down for the proper height. I got them but never got around to modifying them.

3. I've had a few sets of the insulated shades from HeatShields and we had pretty good luck with them. One thing I didn't like is how they announced "Hey, we're camping inside of here" to anyone within a 2-block radius. I also don't think we got a ton of benefit from the insulation factor either. So for our Model Y I opted for much cheaper and black options on Amazon. I did a ton ("too much" -my wife) of research on the options and then just picked the ones that best fit our needs at the lowest price. We haven't camped yet long term but I tested them out and they seem to fit fine. An added bonus is they stow much better now w/o being super thick designed for insulation. These are purely for privacy and light blocking which is all we really wanted.

The reality is we'll likely abandon the Model S camping idea entirely. Our new Model Y will likely be the chariot of choice for longer road trips now so we've acquired all of the gear to make that an ideal camping solution. Lots of advantages over the Model S for camping so I think we're going to be very happy with it for the same types of outings.

Now back to trying to figure out which inflatable mattress is best for my Model Y.

I ended up buying the LostHorizon mattress fitted to Model S dimensions and it worked great. Honestly, it was a perfect fit, I can't imagine it being much more contoured for that vehicle.

Recently however, I sold the Model S for a Model 3. I tried the LostHorizon Mattress that was originally meant for the Model S inside the 3 and.... It still fits great! If you told me it was made for the 3 I would have believed you. The interior dimensions of the 3 aren't so far off the S anyways it seems.

For $199 it's a good deal, cheaper than some of the name brand solutions like MegaMat but have the same construction of foam insert with air support - very comfortable. The bonus for these "made specifically for Tesa" mats versus off-the-shelf camping ones is that they contour to the shape of the second row seat cutout and expand at the top half to allow more shoulder room. These can actually support two adults versus the more narrow twin-sized mats.

I've owned my LostHorizon for a year and used it for 4 camping trips without issue.

The BIGGEST problem I have is laying flat. The Model S rear seats fold pretty flat actually, but the hatch floor is a couple inches lower than the seat backs. It creates a few inch drop at the waist line. The Model 3 rear seatbacks meet at the exact floor of the trunk, BUT they do not fold completely flat. The rear seat bottoms force an incline at the waist that isn't very comfortable. Like sleeping on a ramp. I have seen posts of people who remove the bottom cushion, at the time I didn't have the necessary tools to try it though. Others have fixed ratchet straps to the seats to compress the seatback into the bottom cushion for a flat floor.

No matter how you do it, it's imperfect, but cheaper than a hotel and very convenient - especially with camp mode giving climate control and watching a movie before bed.

I'm searching for a way to bridge the gap caused by the rear seat footwell. Has anyone tried any of these or similar:

There is one on AliExpress for only $30. I suspect they are all made in China and about the same acceptable quality.

Is there something better?

Thanks for any input. Appreciate it.

I’ve been reading a lot of reviews on air mattresses for the Model Y and the one that looks interesting to me is the LightEase memory foam mattress. It does not require any inflation which I would prefer just to keep it maintenance free. Has anyone tried it?

Haven't tried it, but it is a 2.4" foam so it will either be pretty firm, or you might push through it to the floor underneath.

The air/foam combo mattresses are 4"+ so they lean more towards the comfort side.

This would probably be fine for short periods of time (a couple nights) or if you are lighter weight and more 'comfort tolerant'.

Reactions: OCR1
Haven't tried it, but it is a 2.4" foam so it will either be pretty firm, or you might push through it to the floor underneath.

The air/foam combo mattresses are 4"+ so they lean more towards the comfort side.

This would probably be fine for short periods of time (a couple nights) or if you are lighter weight and more 'comfort tolerant'.
Good point. I probably lean more toward comfort so that might not be thick enough for me.

I'm searching for a way to bridge the gap caused by the rear seat footwell. Has anyone tried any of these or similar:

There is one on AliExpress for only $30. I suspect they are all made in China and about the same acceptable quality.

Is there something better?

Thanks for any input. Appreciate it.
I use the lost horizons mattress. It thick/sturdy enough when inflated that I don't need anything else to cover that unsupported area. That gap is where your head/pillow goes, so not a lot of weight.