Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a Tesla car be damaged if it is transported in an inclined position?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to ship my Model 3 overseas and I have two options: a 40-foot consolidated (shared) container, or a 20-foot exclusive container, which costs $1,000 more.

I've researched online and found images of shared containers. It appears that they often use the R-Rak racking system, which looks like this:

shared_cointainer.jpeg

If I choose to use a shared container and my Tesla is positioned in a tilted or inclined position, similar to the two cars above, could that potentially cause damage to the car or its battery? This is considering that the shipment across the ocean will last for 5-6 weeks.

I would assume it’s no different than parking on an incline. As long as the front is up i dont see it causing issues. if it where an extreme angle front down may be an issue over time where you may loose some coolant Worst case. But i would almost bet the tesla would be on the bottom as they would want the heavier car on the bottom.
I'm sure lots of Tesla parks on super incline roads in San Francisco with no problems.

Options for shipping electric vehicles and hybrids​

How are electric vehicles transported to international destinations? The options that are available are similar to those available for all other types of vehicles;

RoRo shipping​

RoRo stands for roll on, roll off. It’s a form of transportation where a vehicle is driven on and off a ship. The key here is that the car needs to be in good driving condition. The RoRo option is mostly used when transporting conventional vehicles. In fact, it’s the most popular way of shipping a car from one country to the next.

When it comes to transporting EVs and hybrids, RoRo can be fraught with regulation. We have already noted that fires from EVs can be devastating. As a result, there are a lot of regulations governing their shipping. You will need to fill out a lot more paperwork before your car can depart for its destination.

Container shipping​

Container shipping is probably a better option if you don’t want to jump through hoops to get your car to its destination. That’s because you don’t have to fill out a lot more paperwork. Fires in containers are not as devastating as they are in open spaces. There is little risk of such a fire spreading to other containers.

As such, there is less regulation on EVs that are being shipped in containers. Talk to us about the option to transport your car in a container. We offer a number of options, including shared containers. That’s a cheaper option because you will be sharing the cost with others.

I find that hard to believe. Tesla would be out of business
without RORO and many others as well. There are 100's of
shippers, maybe try another.

I suspect these shippers have exclusive contracts with Tesla, allowing them alone to ship Teslas via RoRo. I have spoken to many shippers, and not a single one allowed RoRo shipping for a Tesla. If you know of any that do, please let me know. Finding one isn't as straightforward as finding a Wikipedia page.

Last edited:
Thankfully, trolls are the exception, not the rule. There are several serious answers if you take the time to read the thread.

The fact that shipping companies charge a HAZMAT fee (i.e. hazardous materials fee) for EVs, and that some even prohibit shipping them in a shared container, implies that they regard EVs as special. Perhaps these shipping companies could be considered trolls too according to you.
So I’ll ask differently. What about the hazardous materials present in EV batteries leads you to believe they’re sensitive to the angle of storage? Electron pooling is about as serious an answer as you’re going to get.

Reactions: E90alex