Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a Tesla finish a ICE Stock Car race?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can a Tesla finish* an ICE Stock Car race?
I think, YES.

Can a Tesla win an ICE Stock Car race?
Maybe

I am not ignorant of the range limitation and speed limitations of EV (faster one goes, more energy consumed), that due to torque curve and gearing an ICE car can maintain better energy efficiently at speed while EV usage is more linear increase (apologies if not best technical or industry description).
*Note: When I say "Finish", it is at average race speeds, not an energy conserving slower speed.

Reason #1
Stock car races are not really a "stock car". They are completely custom build with light weight shell over the body. So the racecar can be completely original design, being as light as possible and contain more battery power than a mass market production car (also consider ICE engine is also heavily modified from production cars).

Reason #2
Air resistance is biggest loss of energy, however is to common for racers to "draft" behind others to reduce air resistance, thus preserving energy, thus extend range.

Reason #3
Optimized motors, one for efficient cruising, another for passing, again saving power. This is effectively like a transmission in ICE.

Reason #4
Passing advantage, using the instant power-to-torque ability of motors to dash ahead of others, although it may be very small advantage.

It will be an enormous challenge, but is what it's there for. One day it will happen, interesting to see results.

What do TMC think?