Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can ABRP Read Battery Temperature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gnuarm

Model X 100 with 72 amp chargers
I can view the car inside temperature and the outside temperature from the Tesla app. But I've not found a way to read the battery temperature. In ABRP they have a temperature under the Vehicle section they call "Initial vehicle temperature". Is that actually the battery temperature? I've had the car charging for a few hours, plus the day was a bit warmer than it has been. The outside temp is currently 29 °F as reported by the app. ABRP has the above parameter set to 39 °F as read from the car if I'm seeing it right.

So is that really the battery temperature?

ABRP can only use the Tesla REST apis, the same APIs that the mobile application uses. As far as I know that information is not available. Battery temperature is only available directly from the CAN bus, with an OBD2 adapter and a CAN reader application like ScanMyTesla.

ABRP can only use the Tesla REST apis, the same APIs that the mobile application uses. As far as I know that information is not available. Battery temperature is only available directly from the CAN bus, with an OBD2 adapter and a CAN reader application like ScanMyTesla.

ABRP must be reading something. The Tesla app currently is showing outside temp of 39°F and a cabin temp of 64°F. ABRP is reading 72°F from somewhere. What else could that be but the battery? I just got back from a 3 hour drive.

I've tried to contact them before and found it to be a PITB. Sometimes it is so hard to reach an person who can answer a real question. My electric company has a web page where I can view my energy usage by the hour, day or month. But it won't show me any data after June of 2018 now. They don't believe it's their end and want me to clear my browser cache, etc. which I have done.

I've got a business deal that should be done in a few more months, and then I'm going to become a hermit with no Internet, no phone, just mail and a newspaper.

I did a test just for you. I checked in ABRP (it is linked to my car) and it said "initial vehicle temperature" = -5C. I then launched the Tesla mobile app which reported an internal temperature of 0C. Makes sense it is 0C outside. I checked ScanMyTesla and my battery temp is -0.5C. I came back to ABRP after all that and it updated the "initial vehicle temperature" to 0C.
My understanding from this is that ABRP reads the internal temperature of the car. However, it tries not to wake the car up so it stays with a stale value until you wake the car and force ABRP to update its value. It must have been around -5C last night, my car was probably awake for a moment so that's the value the Tasla server has stored for internal temp.
ABRP's help text for that field is "vehicle temperature at the beginning of the plan - accounts for e.g. initial heating". I understand that as ABRP trying to estimate the initial energy spend of heating the cabin when you leave for your trip. I don't think it estimates anything for the battery.

Ok, I get what you are saying, but that isn't working exactly for me. I'm in a restaurant and drove in the Tesla. ABRP initially reported 64°F and 5 minutes later is reporting 63°F. The Tesla app initially reported 63°F and is now reporting 65°F. So they are moving in opposite directions. That can't be explained by a lag in reporting. The outside temperature is 48°F and is dropping quickly. By the time I'm finished we should see the cabin temp drop while a battery temp would not drop so fast.

Now ABRP is reporting 54°F and Tesla is reporting 51°F inside and 43°F outside. The ABRP page just updated coming down from 60°F. So these numbers simply don't match up.

Woops! Now the Tesla app updated to 56°F inside and 42°F outside. ABRP remains at 54°F.

I'm tossing in the towel on this!

I ended up contacting ABRP and wanted to provide their response. The differences in reading in the Tesla app and ABRP has nothing to do with timing. ABRP is making up this number. It is intended to combine several impacts that require extra energy on starting a trip. Cabin temp is in there. On some cars battery temp is in there. I could not get ABRP to provide any details on how these readings are combined into one number or if they read the battery temperature.
That's why i said this value represents whatever needed to be heated up initially. Some heat up the battery, some do not. But all car need to heat up the cabin, so initially the car will always use more energy for that. And some need more like ID3 as they also heat up the battery.