Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can an 8" Width Wheel be Used for the Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the cheaper wheel and expect installation in about a week. Discounttire added a $55 'kit' to my order and a $5 concentric ring. I presume the ring is to push the wheel outwards; no idea what is in the 'kit.'

Anybody know ?
The rings are plastic that fit inside the rim where it sits on the hub. The opening is too big and the wheels wouldn’t sit right without it. You’d feel vibrations. It’s very common for rims to need the rings. I have them too for the STI winter wheels. They have zero impact on pushing the wheels.

The $55 kit is interesting. Maybe lug bolts?

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
The $55 kit is interesting. Maybe lug bolts?
That sounds like a good guess. Perhaps I can buy the lug bolts separately since I plan to mount and balance elsewhere anyway. This does raise a question though: are the bolts attached to the wheel or the car ? I presume that I don't want to have to exchange lug bolts every time I swap winter tires in or out.

Do you happen to know the specs of the OEM lug bolts on the Tesla LR with 18" wheels ?

That sounds like a good guess. Perhaps I can buy the lug bolts separately since I plan to mount and balance elsewhere anyway. This does raise a question though: are the bolts attached to the wheel or the car ? I presume that I don't want to have to exchange lug bolts every time I swap winter tires in or out.

Do you happen to know the specs of the OEM lug bolts on the Tesla LR with 18" wheels ?
Oops, I mean lug nuts! Not bolts.

The 'kit' is hubcentric spacers plus lug nuts. You technically don't need the lug nuts because the factory ones are the right taper seat for the aftermarket wheels, but you can see what they have to offer when you get your install done.
You definitely need the hubcentric ring though.

I'm going in today to get my winter tires mounted. (Also bought through discount tire).

You can deny the new lug nuts if you don't want to pay for them. The set I bought were about $40, and the hubcentric spacers were $5 for aluminum spacers. You won't be saving much going elsewhere, but I wanted to make sure they were spline drive black lug nuts.

As mentioned, you'll want to make sure the wheels clear the brakes. Have them check both front and rear before mounting tires.

Don't forget to submit your mail in rebate online too.

Which wheel did you get? What offset?

Also, of course, post pictures here when you get them installed.

• Informative
Hi there,

I'm taking delivery of an SR+ in a few weeks and super excited to join this community! Wondering if you can help me figure out if I can re-use my winter wheels/tires from my old Infiniti:

https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/Enkei/KOJIN/476-880-6545SP
These are 18X8, 5/114.3, 45mm offset, 72.60mm hub bore

OEM seems to be 18x8.5, 5/114.3, 40mm offset, 64.1mm hub bore

The difference I can tell is that my wheels/tires are a bit thinner, but with a thicker sidewall resulting in +13mm (2%) increase in overall diameter. Offset is also 5mm more. Do you think they will be compatible?

If so, I'm assuming all I need to do is to buy hub-centric rings and remove the locator bolt on the Tesla's rotors?

Thanks!