Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can HW3 use the other processor in the future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So quick question, I'm sure Green has addressed this before but I couldn't find it. Hardware 3 has two separate processors. My understanding is the car currently uses the first processor for all of its AI activity including FSD; and that the second processor is used for running software in shadow mode. I'm not sure if I understand that correctly.

But if that's the case, doesn't that leave significant headroom on HW 3. I understand there would definitely be latency between the two processors but maybe the second one could do things like planning and other slightly less time sensitive tasks?

From what I remember, it has two processors for safety reasons, not for additional computer power. They are both used for the same purposes for redundancy in case some piece fails. Similar thinking to hard drive RAID configurations.
It’s possible to use both processors for performance, but scale down to a “limp mode” with reduced functionality if one fails. Maybe.

Not sure what Tesla is planning for legacy hardware with the advent of HW4.

Without insider knowledge, it's really hard to know or predict how the compute performance of HW3 will work out in the long run, that's the bottom line. They may be using both processors (non-redundantly) for primary compute today, but there are a lot of unknown ways things could be intentionally slowed-down now that eventually would be resolved to free up significant capacity in the future:

1. They could currently be doing more-subtle versions of shadowing still (e.g. not necessarily two whole version of the entire stack, but running multiple variants of some particular NN: one that's actually operating the car, and some older or newer variants running alongside for comparison to flag interesting things for future work).
2. In an even broader sense than the above, they could be running some "extra" code (deterministic or NN) whose only purpose is to observe the behavior of the main software and gather data about edge cases in the live code for future development, etc.
3. They could be running "debug"-level code for some parts, which is perhaps much more resource-intensive than it needs to be, in order to provide better traces of problems leading to disengagements.
4. There could be potentially very significant future optimizations to come. Maybe right now they're more focused on feature development, and at some later time when lack of compute capacity becomes more-limiting, they'll turn their attention to optimizing NN execution, optimizing the deterministic parts, and even making software-architectural changes that result in significant new efficiencies. I highly doubt they're anywhere near squeezing out every last drop at this stage of development.

Still, it's a valid concern that they may end up never investing much in further optimizing HW3 performance once they've got significant HW4 deployment.