Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I DIY install Matrix headlights since my new Model 3 didnt come with them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just took delivery of my 22 Model 3 LR but it did not come with the matrix headlights. Does anyone know if I can buy a set of eBay and install them myself? Kinda bummed the car didn’t come with them but took delivery regardless since it seems to be a tossup on if they come regardless.

As far as I know Tesla have never advertised the specs of the headlights anywhere. They are non-functional in the sense of matrix behaviour in any event, so them listing them as such would actually be false advertising anyway.

If all people are going on is a render of the car and ordering their car on the assumption that because they've seen the matrix headlights fitted to other cars delivered before or after, then I think that's probably tenuous from a legal standpoint. It would be like claiming because you got the older Atom chip MCU2 instead of a Ryzen MCU3, when the specs of the CPU aren't listed anywhere either on the order form or the website when ordering.

Upvote 0
As far as I know Tesla have never advertised the specs of the headlights anywhere. They are non-functional in the sense of matrix behaviour in any event, so them listing them as such would actually be false advertising anyway.

If all people are going on is a render of the car and ordering their car on the assumption that because they've seen the matrix headlights fitted to other cars delivered before or after, then I think that's probably tenuous from a legal standpoint. It would be like claiming because you got the older Atom chip MCU2 instead of a Ryzen MCU3, when the specs of the CPU aren't listed anywhere either on the order form or the website when ordering.

Actually, matrix headlights were installed on 2020?, 2021 and 2022. CPU + headlight update was publicized in many articles. Both were also “advertised” by Tesla through their SA.

Also, then using the matrix headlights on the website is misleading and IMHO falls under the false advertising law.

I think 2022 M3LR w/o matrix headlights might have a good false advertising cases against Tesla.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lower resale value on a mass produced and widespread early-gen EV that will not be worth much in 6-10 years?

The last thing you should be worried about on a depreciating liability are headlights - instead consider battery health/degradation, suspension wear/tear, paint, glass, interior state, damage or repair quality.

99% of 2nd, 3rd owners, middle-men, resellers, etc. will not even notice or care for the headlight difference or pre/post refresh changes between earlier/later production 3/Ys.

And as others have said, the newer (doesn't mean better) 'matrix' headlights on these cars are a far cry from headlight tech available everywhere but in the US, given antiquated regulation. Recent changes are a small step in the right direction, but are about 10-15 years late
and will not help headlights designed in mid-2010s.

Reactions: Durzel
Upvote 0
Actually, matrix headlights were installed on 2020?, 2021 and 2022. CPU + headlight update was publicized in many articles. Both were also “advertised” by Tesla through their SA.

Also, then using the matrix headlights on the website is misleading and IMHO falls under the false advertising law.

I think 2022 M3LR w/o matrix headlights might have a good false advertising cases against Tesla.

I can only take your word for that. I've never seen any reference to the lighting in the specs for the car on Tesla.com, where you order the car. I think it would be a struggle to rely upon third party websites speculating on hardware in legal action, I would think. Then again I'm not in America so I don't know how much weight this stuff has. I'm also not sure what you mean by "advertised by Tesla through their SA".

And as others have said, the newer (doesn't mean better) 'matrix' headlights on these cars are a far cry from headlight tech available everywhere but in the US, given antiquated regulation. Recent changes are a small step in the right direction, but are about 10-15 years late
and will not help headlights designed in mid-2010s.

+1

Unless Tesla has been sat on development for headlights and is going to release a killer solution completely out of the blue, I would not be putting much faith in them leveraging the matrix functionality available in the headlights they are fitting particularly well, certainly nowhere near as good as the likes of BMW, Mercedes, Audi (particularly them) who are several generations in to their tech.

The car doesn't even reliably switch off headlights automatically in the face of oncoming cars, and people seem to think that Tesla are going to magic up some kind of discrete LED switch off solution that actually works?

I would not be remotely surprised if there are a couple of hardware revisions to the matrix headlights before Tesla even gets around to trying to do something with them, let alone getting anywhere close to the sort of functionality you can take for granted on BMW/Merc/Audi at that price point.

Reactions: Perscitus
Upvote 0
Not sure if you guys have seen the matrix demo on the model y. They are pretty capable headlights. I wrote to Resolutions also. Let's see. I tried having a tech change the headlights from premium to global but the option was grayed out and unable to be changed. It was a lead tech also so not sure the level of access required or if the option can't be changed because it's something super simple like a power down and software reinstall. Believe me I've tried it all so far with no luck.

Upvote 0
Not sure if you guys have seen the matrix demo on the model y. They are pretty capable headlights. I wrote to Resolutions also. Let's see. I tried having a tech change the headlights from premium to global but the option was grayed out and unable to be changed. It was a lead tech also so not sure the level of access required or if the option can't be changed because it's something super simple like a power down and software reinstall. Believe me I've tried it all so far with no luck.
Wait. You have a M3P with Premium headlights? What year?

Upvote 0
Left is Matrix
Screenshot_20220729-192748_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0