TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Can Model S drive with trunk open?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by ThisIsTrue, Apr 30, 2017.

1. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Dismember

My wife wants to be able to take her kayak to the local reservoir. I haven't tried it yet to see how far it would go in (with the back seats down, of course), but it definitely wouldn't go all the way in so the trunk hatch could be closed. Then the question is, would the car drive with the trunk open? I would certainly bungie it down (assuming I can find suitable anchor points), but there's no reason to even try it if it would refuse to go with the truck open, just as it apparently refuses to drive if you lift yourself off the driver's seat.

If that doesn't work, then I'll need to get the roof rack -- though I'm unclear whether I can get one for a facelift model; I've heard the company that made them went bankrupt, and there's talk of the "clips" to attach it to the attachment points on the roof (which I have -- sunroof) are not available. Set me straight on that?

Thanks much for your informed input.

2. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

I tried it on mine. Yes, it works.

• Like x 2
  3. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Yes, w/ annoying beeps and rear camera looking to the sky. Not sure if beeps eventually stop but they remained for my 2 minute drive w/ open trunk tonight

• Like x 1
  4. Nosken

Nosken Member

Just be careful, when the hatch is open, the exhaust gases from the rear of the car may enter the cockpit. :)

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2