Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can PW2s be 70 feet from the main panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to me that 60A would (barely) cover the output of 2 PWs (~42A max continuous, ~58A peak), but I suspect charging them might be an issue, since that's up to a 42A additional load in that sub-panel, so unless there's next to no load there right now 60A wouldn't cut it. But bumping up to 100A might be enough for the extra PW load. There is a comms cable that needs to be run from the PWs to the Gateway (which needs to be between all of your backed-up loads and the grid, so unless you're only backing-up your garage it will be much closer to the main panel), I don't know how long that run would be in your setup or what the practical limits are for Tesla. But that's just my thoughts, obviously Tesla needs to be comfortable with it and would have the final say.

• Informative
Reactions: Blup85
I'm working with Tesla on a 2 powerwall system. I have a 200 amp main panel at the back of my house, and a 60amp sub panel in a separated garage with a guest house over it. Outside wall near the main panel is not ideal, its outside a bedroom window, and outside in the weather (snow in Northern California Sierra Nevadas)
I'm wondering if the powerwalls can be installed in the garage and ran off the existing 60 amp circuit? I have enough room in the conduit to change out the sub panel to a 90 or 100amp sub panel, but Didnt know if they will have to bring another circuit dedicated for the powerwalls or how that would work?
I like the idea of the powerwalls being somewhat protected in the garage, even though it's not heated.
If there is room in the conduit, the best way would be to pull the additional wires for the Powerwalls (2x 30A circuits) out to the detached garage for installation independent of the sub-panel that's already there.

• Informative
Keep in mind there is communication cable that runs with the 30A circuits. Each cable had the equivalent diameter of either 8AWG or 10AWG wire. Consider this when sizing for conduit fill.

46419070-DAD6-47F0-80E1-ADF0D5A5451B.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative